What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The dirty secret of elite college admissions (1 Viewer)

Cliff notes:

Legacy applicants get admitted with lower scores because their parents give a ton of money. They do not like Asians, likely because they aren’t considered upper elite tier folks who give buildings and such. They say they thrive on diversity but they still admit mainly top 1%ers.

Also, they enjoy tax exempt status even though their endowments make billions of dollars every year. It’s kind of disturbing when you realize that they have endowments larger than state budgets.

Can you give us the Cliff Notes version?
I stopped reading after a bit... but it seems to be that legacies get the push over comparatively deserving students, which perpetuates the intellectual, economic and ruling elite from within those institutions.

and something about princeton being over-rated and sucky.

Read somewhere that the interest alone on what Harvard has in endowments could cover tuition for everyone who attends... they could reasonably make the entire university "free" for anyone who gets accepted. 
I am pretty sure Harvard has a policy that once students are accepted, they will never be kicked out if they can't pay for it. Not sure how they work that, but once someone gets in they will figure out a way to get the costs covered.

Cliff notes:

Legacy applicants get admitted with lower scores because their parents give a ton of money. They do not like Asians, likely because they aren’t considered upper elite tier folks who give buildings and such. They say they thrive on diversity but they still admit mainly top 1%ers.

Also, they enjoy tax exempt status even though their endowments make billions of dollars every year. It’s kind of disturbing when you realize that they have endowments larger than state budgets.
Thanks. I wonder if the author really think it's a "secret" that legacies get preference and it's mostly about the money?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty sure Harvard has a policy that once students are accepted, they will never be kicked out if they can't pay for it. Not sure how they work that, but once someone gets in they will figure out a way to get the costs covered.
I think every university and community college has a similar policy. Now, you may leave six figures in debt.... but everyone deserves an education even if they spend most of their adult lives paying for it..... I mean the interest on it.

Users who are viewing this thread