Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
bosoxs45

The dirty secret of elite college admissions

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:
23 hours ago, bosoxs45 said:

https://medium.com/s/story/the-dirty-secret-of-elite-college-admissions-d41077df670e

What do you think of how colleges handle the admissions process?

Can you give us the Cliff Notes version?

Being able to do that would get you a free ride at Princeton. 

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cliff notes:

Legacy applicants get admitted with lower scores because their parents give a ton of money. They do not like Asians, likely because they aren’t considered upper elite tier folks who give buildings and such. They say they thrive on diversity but they still admit mainly top 1%ers.

Also, they enjoy tax exempt status even though their endowments make billions of dollars every year. It’s kind of disturbing when you realize that they have endowments larger than state budgets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Can you give us the Cliff Notes version?

 

I stopped reading after a bit... but it seems to be that legacies get the push over comparatively deserving students, which perpetuates the intellectual, economic and ruling elite from within those institutions.

and something about princeton being over-rated and sucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds like America in a microcosm

it's not what you know, it's who you know and how much money each of you have

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Cliff notes:

Legacy applicants get admitted with lower scores because their parents give a ton of money. They do not like Asians, likely because they aren’t considered upper elite tier folks who give buildings and such. They say they thrive on diversity but they still admit mainly top 1%ers.

Also, they enjoy tax exempt status even though their endowments make billions of dollars every year. It’s kind of disturbing when you realize that they have endowments larger than state budgets.

 

Read somewhere that the interest alone on what Harvard has in endowments could cover tuition for everyone who attends... they could reasonably make the entire university "free" for anyone who gets accepted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

 

Read somewhere that the interest alone on what Harvard has in endowments could cover tuition for everyone who attends... they could reasonably make the entire university "free" for anyone who gets accepted. 

I am pretty sure Harvard has a policy that once students are accepted, they will never be kicked out if they can't pay for it. Not sure how they work that, but once someone gets in they will figure out a way to get the costs covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Cliff notes:

Legacy applicants get admitted with lower scores because their parents give a ton of money. They do not like Asians, likely because they aren’t considered upper elite tier folks who give buildings and such. They say they thrive on diversity but they still admit mainly top 1%ers.

Also, they enjoy tax exempt status even though their endowments make billions of dollars every year. It’s kind of disturbing when you realize that they have endowments larger than state budgets.

Thanks. I wonder if the author really think it's a "secret" that legacies get preference and it's mostly about the money?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Judge Smails said:

Being a Legacy worked for Flounder...

We need the dudes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Anarchy99 said:

I am pretty sure Harvard has a policy that once students are accepted, they will never be kicked out if they can't pay for it. Not sure how they work that, but once someone gets in they will figure out a way to get the costs covered.

I think every university and community college has a similar policy. Now, you may leave six figures in debt.... but everyone deserves an education even if they spend most of their adult lives paying for it..... I mean the interest on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.