What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thank You, Teachers - Hang On - #summeriscoming (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Saw this today from my friend Jen Hatmaker. Good words.

Thank you Teachers.

・・・
Good morning, beautiful teachers! I am raising my coffee mug to you because you are in the final stretch of your GAUNTLET. It is all utterly bananas for you right now.
The elementary teachers have the parties, slideshows, ceremonies, awards, field days, programs, classroom clean up, and standardized tests.
The middle school teachers have the finals, the late work, the stragglers, the projects, the grade books, the textbook collection, and a million loose ends.
The high school teachers have the graduates, college recommendation letters, the kids you are strong-arming over the finish line, summer school paperwork, final grades, missing work, the equipment and book returns, and all the banquets and ceremonies.
GIVE THEM STRENGTH, JESUS. Bless them with patience for their D+ students trying everything to land a C by the last day of school. Increase their capacity to manage all the panicked or micromanaging parents. Welcome them to your bosom for writing endless recommendation letters for their students (the most generous, unpaid labor ever). May their end-of-school gifts not be garbage. Bless them for loving the hard kids and the weird kids and the struggling kids. Keep them awake in the latest hours of the day when they.are.still.working on grades and plans and all the things.
You are almost there! Another year where you helped all us parents raise our kids, and don't think we aren't so grateful. Outside of family, teachers have impacted my kids more than any other adults on earth.
So pour that third cup of coffee and paste on that patient smile and coach your students all the way to the finish line, like the heroes you are.
#summeriscoming
#finishstrong

I get the challenge of loving  “hard” and “struggling” kids, odd she threw “weird” in there. The older I get the more I appreciate weird. 

I get the challenge of loving  “hard” and “struggling” kids, odd she threw “weird” in there. The older I get the more I appreciate weird. 
Yeah, not sure what she meant exactly on every definition. I think the main point is thanks teachers for loving all the kids. 

Thanks for the kind words.  I won't deny, summer is a nice perk, but I am actually a proponent of year round schooling.  This summer I have some coursework scheduled with license renewal on the horizon.

My wife is a very very good teacher. She puts her heart and soul into it every year. I cannot wait until the school year is over.

I wish I would’ve been a teacher ...  it’s always been a dream of mine. Maybe one day.

When are we going to get these people paid appropriately? 

Serious question though. I’ve got a few engineering degrees - how hard would it be to transition into a teaching position? Do I need a teaching degree? Or would my engineering background get my foot in the door? 

I wish I would’ve been a teacher ...  it’s always been a dream of mine. Maybe one day.

Serious question though. I’ve got a few engineering degrees - how hard would it be to transition into a teaching position? Do I need a teaching degree? Or would my engineering background get my foot in the door? 
Really depends on the state.  At the very least you would need to get a teaching credential in order to teach secondary grades.  In California that would be a minimum of 1 year.  

Thank you for this thread!  I have been teaching middle school for 12  years after spending 10 working in corporate.  I find education to be way more demanding, but I would never go back, I love it too much.  One of the toughest challenges is the continued disrespect the profession endures, but I do my best to focus my attention on what matters, which is the students.  These kinds of posts and words go a long way for us in the trenches!

Thank you for this thread!  I have been teaching middle school for 12  years after spending 10 working in corporate.  I find education to be way more demanding, but I would never go back, I love it too much.  One of the toughest challenges is the continued disrespect the profession endures, but I do my best to focus my attention on what matters, which is the students.  These kinds of posts and words go a long way for us in the trenches!
I always find it interesting to hear the opinions on the work level from people who have experience outside of the class. I know one of our chemistry teachers spent several years as a chemical plant manager and while he said the hours at school are much better, it was actually much more difficult work than at the plant where there was lots of down time, lots of long lunches and lots of freedom just to do whatever he felt he needed to do in a day.

I can not complain about how much I make. I know its not the same all over. 

I can not complain about how much I make. I know its not the same all over. 
My wife and I aren't that far apart income-wise and she will get a nice boost this summer after finishing her master's degree.

That said, she is underpaid.  She is likely in the top 5% of her profession, but gets paid the same as everyone else at the same spot on the grid...currently just under $50K.  I'd say her real worth is in the $60-70K range.  She is more valuable to her organization than I am to mine.

My wife and I are both teachers.  It's a lot of fun when her last day is tomorrow, and I still have to go another week.  At least she and my kids haven't reminded me of that approximately 125,236 times in the last month.  

My wife and I are both teachers.  It's a lot of fun when her last day is tomorrow, and I still have to go another week.  At least she and my kids haven't reminded me of that approximately 125,236 times in the last month.  
My poor wife and kids go to the only building in the district that still has school.  They have an extended year that goes until like June 20th.  The rest of the district is off as of today. 

It is a STEM magnet school.  My wife basically has only had a 6 week summer for the last 7 years.

My wife and I aren't that far apart income-wise and she will get a nice boost this summer after finishing her master's degree.

That said, she is underpaid.  She is likely in the top 5% of her profession, but gets paid the same as everyone else at the same spot on the grid...currently just under $50K.  I'd say her real worth is in the $60-70K range.  She is more valuable to her organization than I am to mine.
If you had to guess, how many hours would you say she works in a year?

I'm just curious when you factor in the extra time during the school year I'm sure she spends (grading stuff at home, after school functions, etc) but then subtracting time off from summer break, extra holidays, etc.

See, this is what I was saying. A first year teacher with zero experience and only a bachelors degree earned $53,579 this year

The top of our scale for teachers with masters degrees is currently $134,000 but that will go up next year with the new contract we just signed

If you had to guess, how many hours would you say she works in a year?

I'm just curious when you factor in the extra time during the school year I'm sure she spends (grading stuff at home, after school functions, etc) but then subtracting time off from summer break, extra holidays, etc.
I have to be at school from 7:50-1:49 (school ends at 2:35 but I have last period off and can leave)

However, I work less than 4 hours since I teach 4 classes that are 52 minutes long. 

See, this is what I was saying. A first year teacher with zero experience and only a bachelors degree earned $53,579 this year

The top of our scale for teachers with masters degrees is currently $134,000 but that will go up next year with the new contract we just signed
😮

My wife is a teacher in northern VA, has 10 years experience and a masters degree. She teaches 6th grade and makes less than $70,000 for the school year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saywhatnow?

$134k?  Unlikely there is a teacher in Michigan that even comes close to $134k.  Most with 20+ yrs are around 100K.

While I give up the salary to teach in a Catholic school, I don't miss the behavior problems I experienced in public when I started out.

Wow.  Just wow.  I don't have my masters, but I have bachelor's, plus another 10 or 12 hours, and I've been teaching 23 years.  I make about $53,000, but that's with my coaching stipend added in.  

😮

My wife is a teacher in northern VA, has 10 years experience and a masters degree. She teaches 6th grade and makes less than $70,000 for the school year.
Time to teach in another state, imo.

Can you transfer teaching licenses easily from state to state?  How does that work?

:thumbup:

My daughter is in her 4th year of teaching high school English.  Today is actually her last day of work as she is starting her maternity leave ... due date of June 6th.

$134k?  Unlikely there is a teacher in Michigan that even comes close to $134k.  Most with 20+ yrs are around 100K.

While I give up the salary to teach in a Catholic school, I don't miss the behavior problems I experienced in public when I started out.
The median superintendent pay in Michigan is less than $134k

Sorry, I did not mean to turn this into any debate on how much teachers earn. I am well aware that my area is very different than the norm and am very thankful for that.

Wow.  Just wow.  I don't have my masters, but I have bachelor's, plus another 10 or 12 hours, and I've been teaching 23 years.  I make about $53,000, but that's with my coaching stipend added in.  
That is about what I make but I do have a masters and about half the experience. My district has been on a step freeze for most of my years here. I should be making 87k. I could have left my district many many times but I like it here and I like the community. Luckily my wife makes much better money. 

Time to teach in another state, imo.

Can you transfer teaching licenses easily from state to state?  How does that work?
My wife didn't get her masters and start teaching until after our kids were both in elementary school. She has less than 10 years until retirement so it doesn't make much sense to move and start over in another state at this point.

I don't know the details about transferring licenses, I think some states have agreements with other states that make it relatively easy to transfer but in other cases it is more difficult.

I always find it interesting to hear the opinions on the work level from people who have experience outside of the class. I know one of our chemistry teachers spent several years as a chemical plant manager and while he said the hours at school are much better, it was actually much more difficult work than at the plant where there was lots of down time, lots of long lunches and lots of freedom just to do whatever he felt he needed to do in a day.
Having done both, I definitely spend more hours per week working in education than in corporate.  Mostly due to coaching, clubs, committees, grading, planning etc.  Those combined with working over the summer help compensate for the drop in salary.  However I know for sure that what I make now is nowhere near what I would be making if I had stayed in corporate.  I hope the benefit of better hours will happen as I continue in the career, become more financially stable and drop some of the extra commitments.

Having done both, I definitely spend more hours per week working in education than in corporate.  Mostly due to coaching, clubs, committees, grading, planning etc.  Those combined with working over the summer help compensate for the drop in salary.  However I know for sure that what I make now is nowhere near what I would be making if I had stayed in corporate.  I hope the benefit of better hours will happen as I continue in the career, become more financially stable and drop some of the extra commitments.
Yeah my former chemical engineer/plant manager said one year he used his Christmas bonus to put in an inground pool. Our Christmas bonus at school that year was a candy cane. LOL.

Sorry, I did not mean to turn this into any debate on how much teachers earn. I am well aware that my area is very different than the norm and am very thankful for that.
No need to apologize.  I'm well aware that downstate rural Illinois is the not the place for a high teacher's salary.  But, we have a good school with good kids and good families and I have good co-workers, so there's non-financial satisfaction involved.  It would be helpful if my wife didn't make less than I do.  

My wife is a teacher of 15 years with a masters. She also receives stipends for taking on district leadership roles such as developing curriculum. She pulls in about $90k with very poor benefits. May sound like a lot, but we live in one of the most expensive areas in the country. The median home price is almost $1M 

That is about what I make but I do have a masters and about half the experience. My district has been on a step freeze for most of my years here. I should be making 87k. I could have left my district many many times but I like it here and I like the community. Luckily my wife makes much better money. 
Yup, sounds like most districts in Michigan.

Users who are viewing this thread