What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thank You, Teachers - Hang On - #summeriscoming (1 Viewer)

Time to teach in another state, imo.

Can you transfer teaching licenses easily from state to state?  How does that work?
Not surprisingly the states make this a PITA. My wife had a valid teaching certificate in Pennsylvania.  We moved to Georgia. They made her take 3 courses that were very close to courses she already had but weren't blessed by GA.  Five years later we moved to FL, same thing but it was 2 repeat courses and an additional course because their regulations are different.

Long story short- you can do it, but it will be a hassle and they might give you a temporary certificate until you follow the new state's beauracracy.

My wife is a teacher, I think she makes decent money for the hours she works, she's pushing 60k (she is elementary music so she doesn't have homework to work on at least).    That said in her district/state (ND), you can't so much as touch a kid anymore what so ever.     You know like if a kid is acting out of hand, take their arm and walk them to the office, or grab them and sit them down. Kids know this and some of them basically will do whatever they want, tell them to leave, they will just sit there and say no I'm not moving.  Tell them to sit down, they will walk around and say come a make me.    Sounds like it wastes so much time through the year for the other kids. I would literally last two days tops before I got canned or quit......

Wife is an administrator at a behavioral school.  Don't know how she does it, working with kids of all ages who scream, bite, spit, hit, kick, and cuss at you all day - all while wearing a smile and really caring for their well-being.  She's a saint for sure, and has earned that summer break coming up soon.  I get tired just listening to her stories every night of what kid hit what teacher and how many police had to get involved until the kids case-worker could show up because their parents are not around anymore and grandma is in the hospital.  It's a real-life soap opera at times.

Wife is an administrator at a behavioral school.  Don't know how she does it, working with kids of all ages who scream, bite, spit, hit, kick, and cuss at you all day - all while wearing a smile and really caring for their well-being.  She's a saint for sure, and has earned that summer break coming up soon.  I get tired just listening to her stories every night of what kid hit what teacher and how many police had to get involved until the kids case-worker could show up because their parents are not around anymore and grandma is in the hospital.  It's a real-life soap opera at times.
My wife won't tell me some of the horror stories because she's afraid I might do something.

She's probably right.  Abusive and deadbeat parents enrage me.

Ray Barboni said:
I wish I would’ve been a teacher ...  it’s always been a dream of mine. Maybe one day.

When are we going to get these people paid appropriately? 

Serious question though. I’ve got a few engineering degrees - how hard would it be to transition into a teaching position? Do I need a teaching degree? Or would my engineering background get my foot in the door? 
Pay varies greatly depending on district.  I can't complain as I make a pretty good living.  Of course I am 28 years in with two master's degrees, so I am at the top of the pay scale.  I wouldn't have to travel very far to find huge discrepancies in pay structure from one district to the next.

Your engineering background alone will not be enough...at least not for a public school.  Private schools may have more leeway, but it is still unlikely.  If you are serious, check out some of the local universities to see what they offer.  A couple universities around Northeast Ohio have offered accelerated programs for people in your position where you come out with a Master's of Arts in Teaching.  Those can potentially be done in a year.  If you need perquisite course work, it may tack on another year. 

For public education, one of the most corrosive narratives that has been popularized over the past decade or so is that of "teacher as public enemy" or "teacher as the lazy sponge soaking up the public largesse."  It drives a ton of wrong-headed public policy initiatives.  But ask most folks about the teachers who work with *their* kids, and they generally say nice things.

It's sort of like comparing the favorability ratings of "Congress," and incumbent reelection rates... people HATE "Congress," but love their congressperson.

Today is finally my wife and kids' last day of school (they attend a magnet school with an extended school year).

I can't fathom what it is like to know you won't have to go to work for another 6-8 weeks.  I also can't fathom what it is like to have to deal with 20 eight year old's for 10 months/year.

My wife had an aunt tell her that the next time someone gives her crap about getting the summer off to tell them that it is "not a luxury but a necessity".  For my wife, I'd agree as she is working 6.5 days per week.  For some (not all) of my friends/family that teach high school, I'd say they have it easy.  Especially considering they are on the same pay scale as my wife.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread