What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst LETTERING on Baseball Uni's (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
I love baseball.  Everything about it.  And one of my favorite parts is the uniform:  A button down shirt, stirrup socks, belts for your elastic pants and a cap.  It's all so unnecessary, but works perfectly.  And I love how almost every team with just a few exceptions are known by their logo of their city and/or team initials on their caps.  But my favorite part is the lettering on the button down shirt.  Each team has an iconic scribble across their chest, or some unique style that stands out...

...except my Astros.  Who decided to just use Times New Roman capitals and BOLD it.  I love the Astros (along with my Fightin's), and I even like their color scheme and cap design.  But the block lettering is terrible.  I was looking at all of the team jerseys and they are by far the worst.  No one else is even close.  

Am I being too critical?  Is there someone worse?  Miami used to be bad, but their new uni's are pretty sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
what's your take on the glorified softball unis of the mid 70s-early 80s?  the 'Stros and Padres were particularly "soft pitch" ...

:coffee:

I love the Stros Unis. 

Least favorite is maybe the Nationals. The Walgreens “W” kind of sucks. I don’t care for the DBacks either. 

I love the Stros Unis. 

Least favorite is maybe the Nationals. The Walgreens “W” kind of sucks. I don’t care for the DBacks either. 
I like the style of the Natinals, minus the Walgreens W.  The rest of the lettering is nice.  But, yeah, the W being an exact replica of Walgreens is beyond stupid.  

Arizona, I don't like the color scheme for the gray uni's, although players just voted them one of the best out there.  Don't get it.  And shortening the name to D-Backs is weird, because all I ever hear is D-Bags.  

I guess my complaint isn't so much with the actual uniforms, because like I said, I like the Stros color scheme.  It's just the lettering.  Like no time was put into the design.  

I guess I should have specified, I was speaking of current uniforms.  It's a given the ChiSox are the worst ever.

Also, I was more focused on the lettering across the chest.

otb_lifer said:
the Yankees have the most classic, iconic, recognized uniform in the history of sports - never had names. 
Red Sox home jerseys neither.  The Bosox do put names on the road jerseys, which I think is nicely logical though I respect the way the Yankees do it.  

otb_lifer said:
the Yankees have the most classic, iconic, recognized uniform in the history of sports - never had names. 
Nah.  Need names.  It's not a team sport.  I need to know who's playing well for fantasy baseball purposes.

otb_lifer said:
I think the teams that have done it forever get a pass because it's part of their uniform history.  But if a team just started doing that on their next uniform revamp, it would be dumb.

TheIronSheik said:
I love baseball.  Everything about it.  And one of my favorite parts is the uniform:  A button down shirt, stirrup socks, belts for your elastic pants and a cap.  It's all so unnecessary, but works perfectly.  And I love how almost every team with just a few exceptions are known by their logo of their city and/or team initials on their caps.  But my favorite part is the lettering on the button down shirt.  Each team has an iconic scribble across their chest, or some unique style that stands out...

...except my Astros.  Who decided to just use Times New Roman capitals and BOLD it.  I love the Astros (along with my Fightin's), and I even like their color scheme and cap design.  But the block lettering is terrible.  I was looking at all of the team jerseys and they are by far the worst.  No one else is even close.  

Am I being too critical?  Is there someone worse?  Miami used to be bad, but their new uni's are pretty sweet.
Yes, I think so.  Those don't look bad at all...  JMHO.

I have always kind of wondered if the old style would die out at some point....like IMO if I am player, I would prefer to wear the uni tops that don't actually have sleeves....and you just wear an under armor shirt or baseball shirt under it....I know its not traditional but there is something that feels constricting with a uni that has sleeves sometimes....if I had a choice I would go sleeveless all the time as I would feel it improves my performance/movement/flexibility, etc....throwing/swinging/making plays/etc...

Yes, I think so.  Those don't look bad at all...  JMHO.
Again, I'm just talking about the lettering.  My whole focus of this thread was about the lettering across the front.  I love the colors and I love the rainbow alternative jersey.  I own two of the jerseys and wear them around the house all of the time when watching the games.  I don't have any issue except with the block, nondescript lettering. :shrug:

I have always kind of wondered if the old style would die out at some point....like IMO if I am player, I would prefer to wear the uni tops that don't actually have sleeves....and you just wear an under armor shirt or baseball shirt under it....I know its not traditional but there is something that feels constricting with a uni that has sleeves sometimes....if I had a choice I would go sleeveless all the time as I would feel it improves my performance/movement/flexibility, etc....throwing/swinging/making plays/etc...
I used to pitch.  And my biggest complaint with most jerseys was the arms would be too small or they'd have them with that weird semi-elastic band at the end.  I would always get a size one size too big to wear, just so my arm wasn't constricted when throwing.

But I'm guessing if you're in the bigs, you can probably have them tailor it to your specs.

TheIronSheik said:

The Brewers have the Times New Roman font except for their throwback unis.

I used to pitch.  And my biggest complaint with most jerseys was the arms would be too small or they'd have them with that weird semi-elastic band at the end.  I would always get a size one size too big to wear, just so my arm wasn't constricted when throwing.

But I'm guessing if you're in the bigs, you can probably have them tailor it to your specs.
They should just make them out of cotton.  A nice breathable fabric.  Not so heavy. 

same here...I pitched as well and would constantly try to stretch out my uniform top before every game....even if I got one a size bigger, etc...

The Brewers have the Times New Roman font except for their throwback unis.
Aren't theirs written in cursive?  I remember the Paul Molitor ones were blocky, but the new ones I thought spelled Milwaukee on one and Brewers on the others in cursive. 

There is some history with the jersey vest in Major League Baseball, though it never became the dominant uniform type. The Pirates tried a throwback style of vest maybe 10-12 years ago, but the look was not as crisp -- this article has a good explanation:

...  the Pirates brought back a flawed version of the vest uniforms in the late ’00s, but for reasons I haven’t heard, only gave the set a couple years before they abandoned the vests.  One of the problems might have been that current-day vest jerseys are not actually vests but regular jerseys with the sleeves removed.  The extra fabric that extends to the end of the shoulders just kind of sticks up like little wings and doesn’t look very good.

Again, I'm just talking about the lettering.  My whole focus of this thread was about the lettering across the front.  I love the colors and I love the rainbow alternative jersey.  I own two of the jerseys and wear them around the house all of the time when watching the games.  I don't have any issue except with the block, nondescript lettering. :shrug:
Papyrus!

Ted Kluszewski agrees

Gotcha, and I should have been more specific.  The lettering isn't bad.

Users who are viewing this thread