What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grill plates (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
Our grill is old but it's still working well enough.  It's nothing special but we use it all year.  The grill plates, or whatever they're called (the metal plates you actually cook the food on) have become rusted and are chipping.  I've had the pleasure of biting into a burger and chomping down on a piece of metal that almost broke my tooth.  Anyway, I looked at replacement plates and they are just under $100.  The grill was only like $250.  

My guess is that because I'm looking at the replacement part from the actual company website (Thermos), they are gouging me.  I mean at $100, it's almost worth it to buy a new grill.  But I'd rather not.  So my question is this:  Are there cheaper plates out there to buy that are just as good and where do I look for them?  I feel like I'm shopping for HDMI cables back in the early 2000's.  

Our grill is old but it's still working well enough.  It's nothing special but we use it all year.  The grill plates, or whatever they're called (the metal plates you actually cook the food on) have become rusted and are chipping.  I've had the pleasure of biting into a burger and chomping down on a piece of metal that almost broke my tooth.  Anyway, I looked at replacement plates and they are just under $100.  The grill was only like $250.  

My guess is that because I'm looking at the replacement part from the actual company website (Thermos), they are gouging me.  I mean at $100, it's almost worth it to buy a new grill.  But I'd rather not.  So my question is this:  Are there cheaper plates out there to buy that are just as good and where do I look for them?  I feel like I'm shopping for HDMI cables back in the early 2000's.  
There are.  What model of grill do you have?

FWIW - the side-effect of buying the stainless version of my Weber Grill back in 2011 was that in addition to the stainless exterior, I also got stainless grill grates.  In retrospect, this was the best part.  My stainless plates don't rust, and come clean after some brushing - They'll likely out-last the frame of my grill.

I'm not sure if you can buy stainless grill grates a la carte or not, but if you can, I'd highly recommend.  I likely won't buy another grill unless I can get stainless steel grates.

This is the problem with a lot of stuff in today's day and age.  It turns into a better deal to buy a whole new one than just a replacement part.

This is the problem with a lot of stuff in today's day and age.  It turns into a better deal to buy a whole new one than just a replacement part.
Sure.  I feel like they do that on purpose.  But there's usually some smart company that operates in between.  Maybe sells plates that are $20 but might only last a year.  Hell, by then I might need a new grill.  Or just buy another $20 set.  I do that 4 times, then buy a grill, I feel like I won, a little.  

Just buy generic plates that are larger than what you need, and use a hacksaw and a grinder to make them fit. WA-LA.

Spend $50 or so and get a real grill, not a thermos 

here is an example

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/grd/d/south-elgin-weber-grill/6890551040.html

What kind of grill?

Edit: Amazon has thermos replacement parts, depending on model.

Edit2: I see you've answered this.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW - the side-effect of buying the stainless version of my Weber Grill back in 2011 was that in addition to the stainless exterior, I also got stainless grill grates.  In retrospect, this was the best part.  My stainless plates don't rust, and come clean after some brushing - They'll likely out-last the frame of my grill.

I'm not sure if you can buy stainless grill grates a la carte or not, but if you can, I'd highly recommend.  I likely won't buy another grill unless I can get stainless steel grates.
With Weber, call them in 2021 (a month before you've had it 10 full years) and ask for replacement flavor bars, grill grates, etc.  Think they'll send them to you free if it's inside of 10 years.  That's what the dude at Lowes told me.

My Weber Genesis is the best grill I've ever owned.  Love it.  LOVE IT.

GB, it is not that hard.  Measure your grill's surface.  Go to Amazon.  

GB, it is not that hard.  Measure your grill's surface.  Go to Amazon.  
I knew I could find plates on Amazon.  What I wasn't sure was the quality.  Or if there was something to look for.  Just thought I'd check here before I bought something off of Amazon.  I thought maybe somebody knew of a good site or something to look for that I didn't.  

I didn't think it was possible, but I've finally found somebody who is less of a man than me. ;)
You're just now figuring this out?  Did you not read my adventure in changing my blade on my mower a few years back?  

Last year I figured out how to keep my bathroom door from closing by itself and I felt like Bob Villa.  No joke, I once shook hands with a surgeon and he said, "Wow.  I've never felt such soft hands before."  Sounded odd.  But regardless, I took it as a compliment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew I could find plates on Amazon.  What I wasn't sure was the quality.  Or if there was something to look for.  Just thought I'd check here before I bought something off of Amazon.  I thought maybe somebody knew of a good site or something to look for that I didn't.  
You're looking for replacement grates for a cheap grill.  Do you really want nice grates?  Just buy more Chinese crap and replace often.  

You're just now figuring this out?  Did you not read my adventure in changing my blade on my mower a few years back?  

Last year I figured out how to keep my bathroom door from closing by itself and I felt like Bob Villa.  No joke, I once shook hands with a surgeon and he said, "Wow.  I've never felt such soft hands before."  Sounded odd.  But regardless, I took it as a compliment.
I turned my mower on its side to check the mower blade and unleashed an oil/gas spill into my yard that BP would be proud of. :bag:

What you should do is venture into the Grilling/Smoking thread and find a whole new world.  Charcoal fires, smoking meat, your balls may even drop a little.   :P
I like grilled food, but I don't like to wait.  I love to fire up the grill, throw some chicken and steak on and be eating in 10-15 minutes.  If I bought a nice grill, I'd have to hire a chef to come cook that stuff.  

I like grilled food, but I don't like to wait.  I love to fire up the grill, throw some chicken and steak on and be eating in 10-15 minutes.  If I bought a nice grill, I'd have to hire a chef to come cook that stuff.  
I have a Weber Gas grill.  Genesis I believe.  Spent like 7-800 on it for a b-day present for myself.  Love that thing.  It's not charcoal, but it still works like day 1 and I've had it for 5ish years.  Gas has it's place.  Charcoal also has it's place.  

I have a Weber Gas grill.  Genesis I believe.  Spent like 7-800 on it for a b-day present for myself.  Love that thing.  It's not charcoal, but it still works like day 1 and I've had it for 5ish years.  Gas has it's place.  Charcoal also has it's place.  
x2 on the Weber Genesis.  While I finally tore it apart last year and replaced the burners, flavor bars and grates, this grill is easily 15 years old before I had to make any replacements. 

While I'm more of a smoking/grilling snob on my Kamado, the gas grill does have it's time/place and can't recommend the Weber Genesis line. 

General Malaise said:
With Weber, call them in 2021 (a month before you've had it 10 full years) and ask for replacement flavor bars, grill grates, etc.  Think they'll send them to you free if it's inside of 10 years.  That's what the dude at Lowes told me.

My Weber Genesis is the best grill I've ever owned.  Love it.  LOVE IT.
Sweet - I'll totally do that.  The flavor bars aren't stainless, but they have such a thick layer of burnt rib-eye fat on them, they're impervious to everything at this point.

Agree re. Weber Genesis.  My FIL has gone through 3 grills in the same time-frame trying to "play it cheap."  I paid ~$500 for my stainless Weber by stacking a memorial day sale, Discover Card 5% cash back at hardware stores, and the Lowes 10% off mover coupon (which used to work on Webers, but not any more).  Now the equivalent grill is basically $1,000 and doesn't even come with a fully-enclosed bottom cabinet.  :shock:   Clearly they know what people are willing to pay for their quality.

It’s a nice idea, but not nearly enough thermal mass. Good luck getting any sort of sear with that 
When I first saw his suggestion, I thought, "That's a good idea," but I never thought of the sear aspect.  You're totally right.  It's going to cook, but you won't get the sear or the differential texture from the bars.

Poke_4_Life said:
It's like grilling with a cast iron skillet.  There is no replacement.  It is the very best in American ingenuity. 

Sweet - I'll totally do that.  The flavor bars aren't stainless, but they have such a thick layer of burnt rib-eye fat on them, they're impervious to everything at this point.

Agree re. Weber Genesis.  My FIL has gone through 3 grills in the same time-frame trying to "play it cheap."  I paid ~$500 for my stainless Weber by stacking a memorial day sale, Discover Card 5% cash back at hardware stores, and the Lowes 10% off mover coupon (which used to work on Webers, but not any more).  Now the equivalent grill is basically $1,000 and doesn't even come with a fully-enclosed bottom cabinet.  :shock:   Clearly they know what people are willing to pay for their quality.
I've told my wife that if we get a divorce, she can have everything.  I get the Weber.  That's all I want.  

I keep thinking this is about those copper mats that are on the "As Seen on TV" adds.  Gives you perfect grill lines and even heat every time!

When I first saw his suggestion, I thought, "That's a good idea," but I never thought of the sear aspect.  You're totally right.  It's going to cook, but you won't get the sear or the differential texture from the bars.
Probably right.  I've only used it in smokers.  Didn't think about the searing aspect.

I keep thinking this is about those copper mats that are on the "As Seen on TV" adds.  Gives you perfect grill lines and even heat every time!
I thought about trying these out, just because I'm a sucker for infomercials. 

Users who are viewing this thread