What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst team in the NFL 2019 (1 Viewer)

wgoldsph

Footballguy
Who do you think will be the worst team this upcoming season? 

Also, what team earns the first overall pick in the 2020 draft?

Personally I think the Giants will be the worst team this season, but they'll probably be lucky enough to pull out a win against another terrible team in the Redskins and will find a way to let the Bucs "win" the first overall pick.

The Dolphins are devoid of talent.  Saquon will single-handedly win more games than them.  Bengals are a real contender though. 
I love Barkley, but why wouldn't teams just play 8 in the box constantly and see if one of their terrible qbs can muster anything.

Cleveland.  It’s always Cleveland.

Is this the first year we can’t just say that anymore?  It feels in turn like I’ve asked that question in previous years only to again have it turn out to be Cleveland.

1. Oakland- tough division. I'm not sure I see them winning more games than last year

2. Miami- probably the worst team, but they have an opportunity to pull off a few wins

3. Baltimore- the Jackson experiment is a complete failure

Cleveland.  It’s always Cleveland.

Is this the first year we can’t just say that anymore?  It feels in turn like I’ve asked that question in previous years only to again have it turn out to be Cleveland.
Man... It's a strange new world we live in.

1. Oakland- tough division. I'm not sure I see them winning more games than last year

2. Miami- probably the worst team, but they have an opportunity to pull off a few wins

First 2 completely agree. 

If Miami wanted to win this year they'd have kept Tanny. 

I think Baltimore could be competitive. Not playoffs, but closer to .500 than worst overall.

Dark horse - Washington. Keenum isn't starting quality, Haskins can be but will take a year or two. 

November 3rd - Lions at raiders, loser takes top pick.

You expect the entire league has the coaching and players to attempt what San Diego did in the playoffs last year?

Apart from that game, the Jackson experiment appeared to be a resounding success, and now they have an entire offseason to tailor the offense around his strengths. 

Like them or not, Baltimore does have one of the stronger coaching staffs in the league. 

You expect the entire league has the coaching and players to attempt what San Diego did in the playoffs last year?

Apart from that game, the Jackson experiment appeared to be a resounding success, and now they have an entire offseason to tailor the offense around his strengths. 

Like them or not, Baltimore does have one of the stronger coaching staffs in the league. 
Same thing everyone said to me about Mariota when I predicted his crash and burn following his rookie year

yes, I do think it's a complete failure in 2019

Same thing everyone said to me about Mariota when I predicted his crash and burn following his rookie year

If the air raid will work in the NFL, why wouldn't the triple option?

You’re welcome to give your opinion, and if you do it enough times one of them is bound to be right, right?

I would like to know why you feel that way, though. 

It's fine to disagree. I realize it's an unpopular take, but it's my take nonetheless
I was making a joke.  Not as down on them, Baltimore has the defense to play a ground based offense, which is what you need from Jackson.  He's not the quarterback you want when you're down 14 in the fourth.

I believe a full offseason of studying Lamar Jackson benefits the league’s defensive coordinators far more than the Ravens gain from further tailoring their offense to Jackson. Remember when the Dolphins won the AFC East in 2008 and the Wildcat was all the rage?

I believe a full offseason of studying Lamar Jackson benefits the league’s defensive coordinators far more than the Ravens gain from further tailoring their offense to Jackson. Remember when the Dolphins won the AFC East in 2008 and the Wildcat was all the rage?
The fins drafted Pat White and then never played him, so it's not like they actually added new ripples to their offense.  It's not a good comparison.

I dont see how they arent 4th in the division...
they're certainly the favorite, but I got to think 6-10 or 5-11 at worst (unless Stafford goes down).  I like their defense quite a bit.  if we can run the ball at all, and not make Stafford throw it 45 times, I think we can surprise.  maybe I'm optimistic but I don't think we're worse than last year, and that means nowhere close to the worst team in the league

I'll take Miami or Cincy

Current Vegas Odds to win the Super Bowl:

NFL Future Odds
Texans are really low on this list.  What does Vegas know that I don't? (a lot)

Edit - if you've got an nfc north team you're bullish on now is the time to bet.  Will probably never get better odds on a front runner.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Miami wanted to win this year they'd have kept Tanny.
Can't believe I missed this first go round... What??? Keep captain injury? At least fitz is going to have one game where he throws five touchdowns (if they don't just start Rosen the whole year).  Tan-man will be lucky to stay in the field as long as Mariota.

My predictions as of now, playoff teams in bold.

AFC East= 1.Patriots(13-3) 2. Jets(6-10) 3. Bills(4-12) 4. Dolphins(4-12)

AFC North=1. Browns(10-6) 2. Steelers(9-7) 3. Bengals(7-9) 4. Ravens(6-10)

AFC South= 1. Titans(12-4) 2. Colts(11-5) 3. Jaguars(10-6) 4. Texans(7-9)

AFC West= 1. Broncos(10-6) 2. Chargers(10-6) 3. Chiefs(9-7) 4. Raiders(3-13)

NFC East= 1.Eagles(10-6) 2. Cowboys(9-7) 3. Giants(5-11) 4. Redskins(5-11)

NFC North= 1. Packers(12-4) 2. Bears(11-5) 3. Lions(7-9) 4. Vikings(6-10)

NFC South= 1. Saints(12-4) 2. Panthers(7-9) 3. Falcons(6-10) 4. Bucs(6-10)

NFC West= 1. Rams(13-3) 2. Seahawks(7-9) 3. 49ers(5-11) 4. Cardinals(4-12)

AFC North=1. 3. Bengals(7-9) 4. Ravens(6-10)

First of all, Bengals 7-9?  Wow.   Almost as shocking as Titans 12-4 and Broncos 10-6.  Jags 10-6 is another shocker.

What do you see in any of those teams that has you so high on them?

On the opposite end what's got you so down on the Texans, ravens, and vikings?

First of all, Bengals 7-9?  Wow.   Almost as shocking as Titans 12-4 and Broncos 10-6.  Jags 10-6 is another shocker.

What do you see in any of those teams that has you so high on them?

On the opposite end what's got you so down on the Texans, ravens, and vikings?
I think the Bengals offense, will be much improved, just by getting rid of Marvin Lewis. If Zac Taylor is even 40% of McVay, the weaponry is there. That said, they are still pretty bad on defense. Why is 7-9 a big deal? They went 6-10 last year, despite AJ Green and Andy Dalton missing big chunks of the season. They were 4-1 at one point last year.

The Jags are a year removed from being 1-2 plays away from the Super Bowl. Really feel they weren't anywhere near as bad as they played last year, they just had the look of a team that had zero belief in their QB, and it sunk everything from there. If Foles is even a C-level QB, they are a playoff threat. 

The Broncos are another team that wasn't as bad as their record last year. They lost a bunch of close games they could have easily won. They beat the Chargers, they were right there in both KC games, the Rams game, and the Texans game. After Hue was fired, I'd argue Vance Joseph was the worst coach in the NFL. Fangio could be the biggest coaching upgrade of any team. Flacco could also be a little better than Keenum. The Chiefs are a lock to take a step back, and the Chargers seem to always find a way to underachieve. I think Fangio can turn that defense into a top-5 NFL defense again.

The Titans feel like this year's version of the Bears to me, only with more offensive potential. This is an elite defense, they were a playoff team last year, if they had any backup QB that wasn't Gabbert. He was awful, and forced them to play a nowhere near healthy Mariota, because 50% Mariota was arguably better. They also had some awful injury luck, and offensive identity issues. They seem to know what they want to be now, have passing game weapons beyond Corey Davis(Brown, Humphries, Walker) and a potentially elite defense. 

The Texans felt a little fluky to me. They still have no o-line, a meh running game, only 1 reliable passing game weapon, and a terrible secondary that lost arguably their 2 best guys in Mathieu and Jackson, and the current top guy is like 36 years old. 

The Ravens had a nice hot stretch once Jackson took over, that I feel had more to do with the schedule than him, I think they would have had the same success with Flacco starting. I can't see the NFL not adjusting to that offense, and the defense looks much worse on paper, losing both starting edge defenders, including team captain Suggs, and CJ Mosley. Yes they got Earl Thomas, but that is still more going out than coming in.

I don't know what people see in the Vikings. 2017 looks like an obvious outlier in the Zimmer era. They aren't all that talented on either side of the ball, and they toyed with firing Zimmer after the season. If they start slow, I wouldn't be shocked if Kubiak were to take over. The o-line still sucks, the defense has questions at every level, and Cousins, as was obvious to see coming, wasn't the franchise QB he was signed to be. 

Can't believe I missed this first go round... What??? Keep captain injury? At least fitz is going to have one game where he throws five touchdowns (if they don't just start Rosen the whole year).  Tan-man will be lucky to stay in the field as long as Mariota.
Tin man starting, Fitz as backup would probably win more than they will now.

I do think moving on was the right move, but they'll be lucky to win 4 games.

Broncos and titans??? More likely those teams finish 4th in their division

Broncos and titans??? More likely those teams finish 4th in their division
And I find it comical everyone is on Cleveland's jock winning double digit games and going to playoffs. 

Thanks

Did you go through each schedule and total wins/losses? Or did you just pick records making sure it evened out? 

Just curious. I am about to go through the entire schedule to figure where I have teams finishing 

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Jaguars yet.  Nick Foles isn't a starting caliber QB in the NFL.  The defense isn't the same as it was on their playoff run.  Who do they actually have that inspires confidence?  Fournette and a couple defensive players?  

It's a little crazy that Baltimore is in this discussion. It's not like Flacco has been more than an average QB for his career and with him Harbaugh has had one losing season in 11 years. The defense is probably enough to get them to 7 wins. Vegas has their win line at 8.5 which is in the top half of the league. 

The Dolphins are the clear answer, which is by design. They are following the Browns blueprint and have no real desire to be competitive this year. The Cards and Raiders will also be terrible. 

Surprised nobody has mentioned the Jaguars yet.  Nick Foles isn't a starting caliber QB in the NFL.  The defense isn't the same as it was on their playoff run.  Who do they actually have that inspires confidence?  Fournette and a couple defensive players?  
Foles is at least as competent as Bortles, and that ####### guy took them to the AFC Championship Game just two years ago.

I think the Bengals offense, will be much improved, just by getting rid of Marvin Lewis. If Zac Taylor is even 40% of McVay, the weaponry is there. That said, they are still pretty bad on defense. Why is 7-9 a big deal? They went 6-10 last year, despite AJ Green and Andy Dalton missing big chunks of the season. They were 4-1 at one point last year.

The Jags are a year removed from being 1-2 plays away from the Super Bowl. Really feel they weren't anywhere near as bad as they played last year, they just had the look of a team that had zero belief in their QB, and it sunk everything from there. If Foles is even a C-level QB, they are a playoff threat. 

The Broncos are another team that wasn't as bad as their record last year. They lost a bunch of close games they could have easily won. They beat the Chargers, they were right there in both KC games, the Rams game, and the Texans game. After Hue was fired, I'd argue Vance Joseph was the worst coach in the NFL. Fangio could be the biggest coaching upgrade of any team. Flacco could also be a little better than Keenum. The Chiefs are a lock to take a step back, and the Chargers seem to always find a way to underachieve. I think Fangio can turn that defense into a top-5 NFL defense again.

The Titans feel like this year's version of the Bears to me, only with more offensive potential. This is an elite defense, they were a playoff team last year, if they had any backup QB that wasn't Gabbert. He was awful, and forced them to play a nowhere near healthy Mariota, because 50% Mariota was arguably better. They also had some awful injury luck, and offensive identity issues. They seem to know what they want to be now, have passing game weapons beyond Corey Davis(Brown, Humphries, Walker) and a potentially elite defense. 

The Texans felt a little fluky to me. They still have no o-line, a meh running game, only 1 reliable passing game weapon, and a terrible secondary that lost arguably their 2 best guys in Mathieu and Jackson, and the current top guy is like 36 years old. 

The Ravens had a nice hot stretch once Jackson took over, that I feel had more to do with the schedule than him, I think they would have had the same success with Flacco starting. I can't see the NFL not adjusting to that offense, and the defense looks much worse on paper, losing both starting edge defenders, including team captain Suggs, and CJ Mosley. Yes they got Earl Thomas, but that is still more going out than coming in.

I don't know what people see in the Vikings. 2017 looks like an obvious outlier in the Zimmer era. They aren't all that talented on either side of the ball, and they toyed with firing Zimmer after the season. If they start slow, I wouldn't be shocked if Kubiak were to take over. The o-line still sucks, the defense has questions at every level, and Cousins, as was obvious to see coming, wasn't the franchise QB he was signed to be. 
100% agree with you on the Titans. Couldn't resist at those posted odds: placed a $25 bet to win $1250 if they win the Super Bowl. Also put down $25 to win $825 on the Falcons, just two years removed from the Bowl with a bolstered OL and returning injured defensive studs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a surprising team due to a major injury. Like 49ers if Garopollo goes down again, or GB if Rodgers gets hurt. 

Not counting any possible injuries, Miami Dolphins. 

Users who are viewing this thread