What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

All in the Family’ and ‘The Jeffersons’ Live Remake Special (1 Viewer)

Marisa Tomei is 6 1/2 years older than Jean Stapleton was when "All In The Family" premiered.

(And Woody Harrelson is 10 years older than Carroll O'Connor was in 1971.)
Wow... I would not have guessed either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only caught a little bit of the Jeffersons with Jamie Foxx and Wanda Sykes. It wasn't funny at all, imo (but they acted well...jokes just weren't there).

I though Jamie Foxx was the best overall by far in impersonating their characters. Woody and Tomei did very credible jobs, too, but it's virtually impossible to come close to the personas of Caroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton.

I though Jamie Foxx was the best overall by far in impersonating their characters. Woody and Tomei did very credible jobs, too, but it's virtually impossible to come close to the personas of Caroll O'Connor and Jean Stapleton.
I like them all but Sherman is one of a kind in that role.  Jamie seemed too tall TBH but loved it.

I like them all but Sherman is one of a kind in that role.  
True - although Foxx captured the voice and mannerisms of his respective character much better than the others IMO.

And what a pro move by Foxx to not get sidetracked when he botched his line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only caught a little bit of the Jeffersons with Jamie Foxx and Wanda Sykes. It wasn't funny at all, imo (but they acted well...jokes just weren't there).
I think they just reenacted the same scripts from their debut shows.  Somebody correct me if I have that wrong but I know they showed clips that were identical to what we saw last night.

"Sanford and Son" reboot:

Samuel. L. as Fred

Will Smiff as Lamont

LeBron as Rollo

Morgan Freeman as Grady

Serena Williams as Aunt Esther

"The Young Ones" reboot (in a GoT mashup/hybrid thingy):

Ser Bronn as Vivian

Ser Davos as Mike 

Tyrion as Rik

Samwell as Neil

watched it last night on ABC on demand.  Thought it was very well done.  Marissa Tomei and Jamie Foxx nailed the voices/mannerisms IMO.  Love AITF, just a great overall show.

I think they just reenacted the same scripts from their debut shows.  Somebody correct me if I have that wrong but I know they showed clips that were identical to what we saw last night.
The Jeffersons remake was from the first episode of that show.

The AITF remake was from season 4, which was the first episode in which George Jefferson had appeared.

Both scripts were reenacted word-for-word.

I guess I’m in the minority, but I thought all in the family was pretty weak. I especially thought Woody and Meathead did a poor job. The Jeffersons was a bit better.

Gotta love the contrived plot points of 1970s sitcoms.

- the Jeffersons need to borrow dozens of extra plates for a party that comprises a total of 8 people.

- Louise is friends with Diane and yet somehow has NEVER told Diane that she and her husband own a business as well as the apartment that they live in, despite the fact that Diane happens to work for their next door neighbor.

Gotta love the contrived plot points of 1970s sitcoms.

- the Jeffersons need to borrow dozens of extra plates for a party that comprises a total of 8 people.

- Louise is friends with Diane and yet somehow has NEVER told Diane that she and her husband own a business as well as the apartment that they live in, despite the fact that Diane happens to work for their next door neighbor.
The suspension of disbelief was awful strong back then. I always liked how people talked behind the backs of someone a few feet away.

Marisa Tomei had the voice, the posture and physical attributes down perfectly. It was too bad she didn't have much material to work with. 

If they do this again, they have to let her tell one of Edith's stories, or do the episode where she accidentally dented someone's car with a can of cling peaches in heavy syrup, or the one where she was going through "the change" and told Archie to stifle. 

I guess I’m in the minority, but I thought all in the family was pretty weak. I especially thought Woody and Meathead did a poor job. The Jeffersons was a bit better.
I was distracted by woody. I didn't think he was the right fit for the mannerisms of Archie. 

They are going to do a Christmas episode of All In The Family and Good Times: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/all-family-good-times-set-as-abcs-next-live-comedy-special-1252621

The only Christmas episode I can remember from All In The Family was when Edith's friend Beverly was killed and Edith lost her Christmas spirit. That seems an awfully downbeat episode to choose from, but it would give Marisa Tomei the opportunity to show off her acting chops. 

The Good Times casting will be interesting to see. JB Smoove as JJ would be great, but he is probably way too old. Wendell Pierce as James would be plausible. 

Users who are viewing this thread