What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Trailer) (1 Viewer)

In. Of course in. But I was strangely underwhelmed by the trailer, compared to what I was expecting from Tarantino/Leo/Pitt

Movie looks ok. I’ll see it. He’s such an ##### tho and he rubs it all over his films.
They just sent the price of Paul Revere and the Raider records through the roof. Damn. I used to own those before my record collection got smashed. Now collecting them again will cost a ton, as if it didn't already. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They just sent the price of Paul Revere and the Raider records through the roof. Damn. I used to own those before my record collection got smashed. Now collecting them again will cost a ton, as if it didn't already. 
:thumbup:  on the Paul/Raiders kick ... has QT ever used Gary Puckett and the Union Gap? 

Dakota Fanning is up in this flick  :wub:    

j'm not the biggest QT fan (True Romance/Reservoir Dogs, and that's it for me - you can have the rest), but this one has a legit shot of making it a trifecta. 

:thumbup:  on the Paul/Raiders kick ... has QT ever used Gary Puckett and the Union Gap? 

Dakota Fanning is up in this flick  :wub:    

j'm not the biggest QT fan (True Romance/Reservoir Dogs, and that's it for me - you can have the rest), but this one has a legit shot of making it a trifecta. 
I'm a pretty big Tarantino fan, but his movies don't age well, honestly, and I'm not a violent guy, so there's really no love of the stylized violence he creates onscreen.

I sort of like the pacing that goes on in his flicks, and the dialogue. 

I'm a pretty big Tarantino fan, but his movies don't age well, honestly, and I'm not a violent guy, so there's really no love of the stylized violence he creates onscreen.

I sort of like the pacing that goes on in his flicks, and the dialogue. 
His movies are often like some weird sex- I enjoy them in the moment, but afterwards I think about how much I actually didn’t like it and how uncomfortable it was.

Just one example. I have no problem with white people using the word in movies if it doesn't seem like wish fulfillment, which that did. 
Exactly. It’s one thing if it’s a movie like American History X or Roots but this was just saying it to say it. Like there was no reason for him to actually choke Uma Thurman and Diane Kruger. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. It’s one thing if it’s a movie like American History X or Roots but this was just saying it to say it. Like there was no reason for him to actually choke Uma Thurman and Diane Kruger. 
I depart a little bit from the requirement being a movie about race. I even understand casual racism by characters that would otherwise seem to be normal characters, but Tarantino using the word and casting himself seemed a bit off, though he may have viewed it as necessary for the scene to work and wanted to take the heat on himself for use of the word. I'm not judging too harshly, it's just a bit of a cringe. 

Exactly the more I learn about him, the more of a creepy POS he seems to be.  

That's not a disqualifier for me to like someone's art or anything, but that combined with the quality of his movies in the last 20 years has me not interested in this one.  At least not enough to spend $ at the theater. 

The only 2 movies of his I watch all the way through are RD and Jackie Brown.  The few fantastic scenes in Basterds had me hopeful that he had one more great movie in him, but Hateful Eight squashed those hopes. 

Exactly the more I learn about him, the more of a creepy POS he seems to be.  

That's not a disqualifier for me to like someone's art or anything, but that combined with the quality of his movies in the last 20 years has me not interested in this one.  At least not enough to spend $ at the theater. 

The only 2 movies of his I watch all the way through are RD and Jackie Brown.  The few fantastic scenes in Basterds had me hopeful that he had one more great movie in him, but Hateful Eight squashed those hopes. 
Yeah, I still love Chinatown so it wouldn’t push me to ignore his movies but his style just isn’t my favorite either. 

:shrug:  I love most of his movies and have never been bothered by any of the dialogue. It's just QT being QT. Couldn't care less what he's into or does outside of movie making.

Jackie Brown and Django are prob my 2 least favorites, but I dont dislike either of them. I thought Hateful Eight was great. 

Loving the cast of Once Upon a Time, the trailer didn't show much IMO but I trust QT and I'm sure I will be thoroughly entertained.

Eh...if you’re jazzed for this avoid spoilers as much as possible.  

I wont say any more other than that until after the film comes out.

Eh...if you’re jazzed for this avoid spoilers as much as possible.  

I wont say any more other than that until after the film comes out.
LOL. Though given how IB went and some of what I’ve read, it’s not at all historically accurate. It wouldn’t surprise me if Roman Polanski goes on a Bronson Death Wish like rampage against the whole Manson cult and kills them all.

LOL. Though given how IB went and some of what I’ve read, it’s not at all historically accurate. It wouldn’t surprise me if Roman Polanski goes on a Bronson Death Wish like rampage against the whole Manson cult and kills them all.
No comment

The opening scene of Basterds is one of the greatest all time opening scenes.  I like the movie as a whole but almost always turn the movie off after Shosanna goes running across the field.  
Tarantino has shot plenty of great scenes.  It's the stringing them along into some sort of cohesive whole that's the problematic part.

Took my son tonight to see the movie.  I liked it but I was worried about my son not liking it due to not knowing the history of the Manson family.   Son said he liked it. 

Took my son tonight to see the movie.  I liked it but I was worried about my son not liking it due to not knowing the history of the Manson family.   Son said he liked it. 
Yeah I think it helps to know the history. There’s an Audie Murphy joke, some fun with Bruce Lee and lots of little details/winks  l that could be totally missed without knowledge of midcentury Hollywood/America but it’s so fun that I imagine almost anyone would like it even without that knowledge.

Just goat back.   I thought Pitt was awesome.  Also liked all the KHJ (radio and tv), KTTV, KCOP references that I grew up with.
Yeah the recreation of 1969 LA could win some Oscars. 

I am not a big fan of QT in general but this was just pure fun. Loved it.
Any graphic violence? That doesn't bother me but my wife hates Kill Bill and IB because of it. Just wondering if I can take her to see this or not.

Indulgent Hollywood fan fiction. The kind of film only a celebrated auteur like Tarantino could get away with making.
Great period piece. He did his best to immerse the audience in the sights, sounds, style and zeitgeist of Hollywood in the late 60's. If you are a fan of the era, you'll find plenty of references and landmarks to relish. The only drawback is he really took his time doing it. He lets the audience soak in it for an uneventful 2.5 hours before going full Tarantino in the final 10 minutes.
Very similar structure to "Inglorious Bastards" where there's a lot of historical accuracy until there isn't.
Pitt and Robbie both looked great in this film. There's plenty of beef and cheese cake for all tastes.
Me and the missus still walked out more disappointed than impressed. Not a bad film, but we both felt it was just too long. Hence, my claim of "indulgence". I wouldn't recommend running out to catch this one at the theater. Wait to stream/rent it. That way you can pause it if you have to hit the restroom during the 161 minute run time.

J

Users who are viewing this thread