What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Trailer) (1 Viewer)

Just got back from seeing it. Holy moly does Tarantino need an editor.

That movie was 45 minutes too long.

But it was solid overall. Could have been much better.

Just saw it.  It was entertaining for the entire 161 minutes.  Like most Tarantino, I thought it added up to a little less than the sum of its parts but there were a lot of memorable scenes and performances.  The art direction, editing and soundtrack all contributed to create a Hollywood where anything was possible.

I disagree that it was entertaining for 161 minutes. I thought it dragged in a lot of places.

And I agree with the second part. There were some memorable scenes and performances that were better than the overall movie.

Brad PItt was terrific.

Without getting into it too much, I feel like there might have been too much back knowledge needed pre-movie for that that ending to work.  I don't think it was laid out very well who all those people were, or why we would cheer along with QT at the results of the ending.  
for sure its a movie aimed at 50 year olds and older, or anyone that ever read much about the Manson crimes.   I don't think your average 15-29 yr old person is super familiar with Manson, his cult, his crime and the people involved.   

That said, i liked the movie and loved the ending.   Loved it.   This format of taking a horrible real world event and reimagining it, i'm a fan.  I also thought the acting was top notch all the way around.   The movie is a bit slow would be my only criticism, but I can live with it.  I have a feeling it will hold up on repeated viewings.

for sure its a movie aimed at 50 year olds and older, or anyone that ever read much about the Manson crimes.   I don't think your average 15-29 yr old person is super familiar with Manson, his cult, his crime and the people involved.   

That said, i liked the movie and loved the ending.   Loved it.   This format of taking a horrible real world event and reimagining it, i'm a fan.  I also thought the acting was top notch all the way around.   The movie is a bit slow would be my only criticism, but I can live with it.  I have a feeling it will hold up on repeated viewings.
My daughter is 16 and went to see it solo. Thought it was very funny, but was a bit puzzled. researched Manson afterwards then went to see it again (with me) and still enjoyed it the second time around.

Without getting into it too much, I feel like there might have been too much back knowledge needed pre-movie for that that ending to work.  I don't think it was laid out very well who all those people were, or why we would cheer along with QT at the results of the ending.  
You don't need to look too hard to find out the story about these murders. How much back knowledge is really necessary?  Just knowing the basics will do and you can do that in a single internet search, either before or after the movie if you are inclined.

You don't need to look too hard to find out the story about these murders. How much back knowledge is really necessary?  Just knowing the basics will do and you can do that in a single internet search, either before or after the movie if you are inclined.
It's much easier than trying to jump into the MCU or Star Wars saga. :shrug:

Didn't say it was hard, but I don't know how many know much about it is all.  I will admit I knew the base periphery stuff about the killings - one of the people was Tate, Manson had some type of cult, that's about it.   I honestly knew zip about Tate beside she was married to Polanski.    Before I listed to a podcast the week before, I knew zip about Mason's ties to the Hollywood scene, Beach Boys, never heard the terms Spahn Ranch or Cielo Drive, etc, etc..   

Just my point was that I think for the movie to fully work I would guess (but could be wrong) that bigger knowledge than I would have had if I had seen it one week before I did might be needed.  QT did the same thing in Basterds with Nazis and Hitler, but this is a little bit more of a niche time, place, and crime than that.   I could be in the minority that knew that little about the Manson crimes, and will fully admit to that.   

Didn't say it was hard, but I don't know how many know much about it is all.  I will admit I knew the base periphery stuff about the killings - one of the people was Tate, Manson had some type of cult, that's about it.   I honestly knew zip about Tate beside she was married to Polanski.    Before I listed to a podcast the week before, I knew zip about Mason's ties to the Hollywood scene, Beach Boys, never heard the terms Spahn Ranch or Cielo Drive, etc, etc..   

Just my point was that I think for the movie to fully work I would guess (but could be wrong) that bigger knowledge than I would have had if I had seen it one week before I did might be needed.  QT did the same thing in Basterds with Nazis and Hitler, but this is a little bit more of a niche time, place, and crime than that.   I could be in the minority that knew that little about the Manson crimes, and will fully admit to that.   
Tarantino is of the age that this event (manson family killings) was part of his formative years.   Not only was it a big news story in the immediate, but it remained a media mainstay for a good 10-15 years after the event with documentaries, TV shows, 60 minutes type segments on various channels over the years.

if you're 19 years old today, you didn't grow up with the Manson mania.   You can read about it and understand it.    But it doesn't have the weight 

There's an extended cut in theaters now with ten more minutes of content.  The additional scenes are two commercials at the beginning and a couple of post-credits scenes from the fake Westerns.  The kid actress gets more screentime in the latter and James Marsden' appears as Burt Reynolds in one of the commercials.

The movie is out on digital now and will be released on Blu Ray and DVD Dec 10th.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge Tarantino fan and I thought it was meh. Some good dialogue but I found it pretty boring. I put it above Deathproof and Jackie Brown, but that's about it.

Finally sat down and watched it. I enjoyed it. Wasn't his best work and some parts did drag on with no real pay off but I felt it was mostly good throughout. I did like the actual view into Dalton's character and how he was on the verge of losing it at moments. Leo did a great job with that. The quick turns once the cameras stopped from character to person were great and felt like a view into the industry. Pitt was magnificent as that alpha male, testosterone laden super bro male fantasy we all wish we could be. The only parts that seemed out of place were Margot Robbie's. I get who she is but none of her parts really fit. Her watching her own movie for like 5-10 mins of screen time felt weird. Felt she was wasted in this. The ending was awesome though. 

Overall, good movie. I'd probably watch it again. 7.5/10

Finally sat down and watched it. I enjoyed it. Wasn't his best work and some parts did drag on with no real pay off but I felt it was mostly good throughout. I did like the actual view into Dalton's character and how he was on the verge of losing it at moments. Leo did a great job with that. The quick turns once the cameras stopped from character to person were great and felt like a view into the industry. Pitt was magnificent as that alpha male, testosterone laden super bro male fantasy we all wish we could be. The only parts that seemed out of place were Margot Robbie's. I get who she is but none of her parts really fit. Her watching her own movie for like 5-10 mins of screen time felt weird. Felt she was wasted in this. The ending was awesome though. 

Overall, good movie. I'd probably watch it again. 7.5/10
That's the only way he could get her feet on screen.  

I agree with Wingnut on this one.  This movie overall was just okay.  I wouldn't watch it again.  Inglorious and Django were far more entertaining. 

I’ve been down on Tarantino since Kill Bill.  Felt Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained and Hateful Eight were for the most part indulgent and ultimately unmemorable.

But I liked Hollywood...I’d rank Pulp a Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill above it.  Tone wise, it felt more like Jackie Brown than anything else; but the DiCaprio/Pitt dynamic certainly mattered in my preference of it over Jackie Brown, which was more hard core v maybe a bit more whimsical that I found Hollywood to be.

With all that said, I can’t help but think that if 15 years ago I were able to see his output from then to now...I’d be fairly disappointed.

Watched it for a second time this week.  I dig it still.  Both Leo and Pitt do a great job and I was just as entertained as the first go-round.  The only thing for me on the second viewing was how much QT's foot fetish stood out.  I didn't notice it as much the first time but this time it felt like every scene had women's bare feet.....

BTW I saw Dakota Fanning in the opening credits. Watched the whole movie and never saw her. Was shocked to find out she played Squeaky. She looks completely different now. Unrecognizable.

I don't get the alternate reality stuff.  It was long and unmemorable.  I won't say boring, because I at least enjoyed it for the most part.  But I wouldn't ever say it was good.  And I'd never watch it again.  Honestly, if they took away the Bruce Lee scene sandwiched in the middle, that movie might have been terrible.  It was the glue that held two slow moving movies together.

Will this be re-released to theaters pre-Oscars? Wondering if I should pull the trigger on PPV but would love the theater experience.

I don't get the alternate reality stuff.  It was long and unmemorable.  I won't say boring, because I at least enjoyed it for the most part.  But I wouldn't ever say it was good.  And I'd never watch it again.  Honestly, if they took away the Bruce Lee scene sandwiched in the middle, that movie might have been terrible.  It was the glue that held two slow moving movies together.
As in with Tarantino and why he is drawn to the alternate history stuff like in this one and Basterds?

Will this be re-released to theaters pre-Oscars? Wondering if I should pull the trigger on PPV but would love the theater experience.
Not sure. It’s going to get a lot of Oscar nominations so it’s very possible 

As in with Tarantino and why he is drawn to the alternate history stuff like in this one and Basterds?
More so in this movie.  Going into IB, we all knew it was a fantasy type movie where this rag tag group of guys was going to win the war and kill Hitler.

Going into this movie, I had no idea what it was going to be about.  And when they began to set up the plot, I was sure it was going to be about the real incident with a view from Leo's perspective.  The end of the movie was both shocking and, oddly, it kind of took away from all of the lead up.  Just odd.

More so in this movie.  Going into IB, we all knew it was a fantasy type movie where this rag tag group of guys was going to win the war and kill Hitler.

Going into this movie, I had no idea what it was going to be about.  And when they began to set up the plot, I was sure it was going to be about the real incident with a view from Leo's perspective.  The end of the movie was both shocking and, oddly, it kind of took away from all of the lead up.  Just odd.
I liked that part.  In fact, the way they put the ending together was one of the things I most enjoyed about the movie during my first watch.  The Manson killings hang over the entire movie and infuse a sense of dread into what is basically a buddy movie otherwise.  You know Tarantino is going somewhere with this, but it's not at all obvious where he's going.  The actual ending was surprising and satisfying, for me anyway.

I liked that part.  In fact, the way they put the ending together was one of the things I most enjoyed about the movie during my first watch.  The Manson killings hang over the entire movie and infuse a sense of dread into what is basically a buddy movie otherwise.  You know Tarantino is going somewhere with this, but it's not at all obvious where he's going.  The actual ending was surprising and satisfying, for me anyway.
And that's cool.  I get that and I'm never one to say my opinion is correct.  I just felt, for me, that was odd.  And I felt like we took a hard left turn and it really derailed any like I had for the movie.  When it was over, I was just thinking, "What the hell did I just watch?"

I enjoyed that aspect of it (though I am pretty well versed on the history of Manson/Spahn Ranch/Old Hollywood so I am predisposed to like this more). The movie was so fun with Brad and Leo just being cool, Margot looking gorgeous. However, there was always this aura of terror lurking behind it. As the fateful night began, I was incredibly nervous at the theater. I had been having so much fun but was dreading the likelihood of seeing Manson and clan brutally murder a bunch of innocent people in gory stylized QT fashion. The moment Brad gives "the signal" and things take a turn, it was such a relief and thrill. 

Why this worked for me more than IB, I don't know. I actually had some misgivings about IB so deeply altering world history and tinkering around with WW2, Hitler, etc. For Once Upon a Time...(even the name suggests a fairy tale), it was a tribute to the end of Old Hollywood and a time that for many is marked as officially ending with the Tate-Bianca murders. QT wasn't just trying to save Tate but also save Hollywood- save a place and time. Remember how it used to be and is there a way things could have ended different? 

I enjoyed that aspect of it (though I am pretty well versed on the history of Manson/Spahn Ranch/Old Hollywood so I am predisposed to like this more). The movie was so fun with Brad and Leo just being cool, Margot looking gorgeous. However, there was always this aura of terror lurking behind it. As the fateful night began, I was incredibly nervous at the theater. I had been having so much fun but was dreading the likelihood of seeing Manson and clan brutally murder a bunch of innocent people in gory stylized QT fashion. The moment Brad gives "the signal" and things take a turn, it was such a relief and thrill. 

Why this worked for me more than IB, I don't know. I actually had some misgivings about IB so deeply altering world history and tinkering around with WW2, Hitler, etc. For Once Upon a Time...(even the name suggests a fairy tale), it was a tribute to the end of Old Hollywood and a time that for many is marked as officially ending with the Tate-Bianca murders. QT wasn't just trying to save Tate but also save Hollywood- save a place and time. Remember how it used to be and is there a way things could have ended different? 
But I am, too, and that's why I thought it was odd.  I felt like they were showing things that only people who knew a lot about the true story were picking up on.  Like them living on the old set and living next to Polanski.  It was almost like they were winking at all of the people in the know and saying, "Don't give away the ending to the people who don't get it."  

Then he just turned it into a revenge fantasy.  Again, I'm sure other people loved it.  But I'm definitely in the camp that did not.

But I am, too, and that's why I thought it was odd.  I felt like they were showing things that only people who knew a lot about the true story were picking up on.  Like them living on the old set and living next to Polanski.  It was almost like they were winking at all of the people in the know and saying, "Don't give away the ending to the people who don't get it."  

Then he just turned it into a revenge fantasy.  Again, I'm sure other people loved it.  But I'm definitely in the camp that did not.
I do think what he expected viewers to know and what is fair to expect viewers to know is an interesting question here. I just know I would have been turned off if we saw a QT version of the real life events of the slaughter of a pregnant women and her friends. 

But that's a recurring theme of Tarantino movies.  Kill Bill, IB, and Django are all basically "just" revenge fantasies.  

Is it coming to streaming/hbo/etc? Definitely the kind of movie I could just have on in the background. 

I read Helter Skelter in the '70s. Knew all of the history of the Tate/Labianca murders

All I know is that as the movie progressed and the more pregnant Sharon Tate became the more squirming I was doing in my seat, dreading the inevitable.

IvanKaramazov said:
But that's a recurring theme of Tarantino movies.  Kill Bill, IB, and Django are all basically "just" revenge fantasies.  
Yea that's kind of his bag.

IvanKaramazov said:
The Manson killings hang over the entire movie and infuse a sense of dread
I sensed the opposite. Anytime there was anything to do with the Manson family I found it almost comical.  

Users who are viewing this thread