Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
jimmy b

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (Trailer)

On 1/16/2020 at 5:40 PM, Ilov80s said:

There was a guy outside who they shot and stabbed. Inside the house I don’t think they shot anyone. The threat of the gun and knives was used to tie them up and then stab them all. Also Tex Watson is a big guy in real life so he would be strong and intimidating. The podcast You Must Remember This has a whole season dedicated to this subject and it’s fascinating. 

Manson picked the house because of the producer who lived there before Polanski that didn’t get him a music deal, right?  Not because he knew a hairdresser, two socialites, and Tate would be there. Bruce Lee spent time there. Who knows who could have been there that night. I love the ending.

34 minutes ago, gump said:

Manson picked the house because of the producer who lived there before Polanski that didn’t get him a music deal, right?  Not because he knew a hairdresser, two socialites, and Tate would be there. Bruce Lee spent time there. Who knows who could have been there that night. I love the ending.

Yes I believe he picked it because he had been there before. He wasn’t targeting Melcher specifically. I think it was just that he knew wealthy somewhat famous white people lived there. His goal was to trigger a race war and especially to get one of his accomplices out of jail. That guy killed a drug dealer and tried to make the scene look like it was a racially motivated murder by The Black Panthers. After his arrest, Manson had the idea to do a copycat crime so the cops will connect them and think they had the wrong guy in the killing of the drug dealer.

This is some high-level jujitsu regarding the plot. Who did the what in the what?  I must have to watch this again for clarity's sake.

or for Margot

Edited by rockaction

1 hour ago, rockaction said:

This is some high-level jujitsu regarding the plot. Who did the what in the what?  I must have to watch this again for clarity's sake.

or for Margot

None of what I am saying happened in the movie. We were talking real life details. 

15 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

None of what I am saying happened in the movie. We were talking real life details. 

Oh, okay. That was confusing for a moment as I didn't remember that.

That sort of reasoning is a glimpse into a drugged out, insane mind. I'm sorry to jump in without having had read the rest. Carry on. 

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Yes I believe he picked it because he had been there before. He wasn’t targeting Melcher specifically. I think it was just that he knew wealthy somewhat famous white people lived there.

Right...so the biggest badass in the world (Lee) could have been hanging out there that night...and probably would have done what Pitts character did. Not all that wild an alternate ending (like killing Hitler in a movie theater).

40 minutes ago, gump said:

Right...so the biggest badass in the world (Lee) could have been hanging out there that night...and probably would have done what Pitts character did. Not all that wild an alternate ending (like killing Hitler in a movie theater).

Yes would have been possible. There’s lots of people who could hade been there. Steve McQueen always said he was invited that night. If he was half as tough in real life as in the movies, maybe he changes history. Maybe he would have been carrying knife or gun. All seems plausible.

• Like 1

Finally saw it.

Thought DiCaprio was great and Pitt was just good, as his role was pretty straight until the end.

The guy who imitated Lee was really good and funny, though he would have annihilated an old stuntman.

Loved the scenery and attention to detail. I lived in SoCal at this time , so I could really enjoy the tons of nostalgia.

One thing I didn't understand was why every car (except for Pitt and Manson family) looked shiny and new. It must have been intentional, but I watched some of the extras and they never explained that.

Thought it was only slow in a couple places.

I read Helter Skelter and was somewhat nervous about seeing it reenacted. That said, the ending had me roaring with laughter and made the film for me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Finally saw it.

Thought DiCaprio was great and Pitt was just good, as his role was pretty straight until the end.

The guy who imitated Lee was really good and funny, though he would have annihilated an old stuntman.

Loved the scenery and attention to detail. I lived in SoCal at this time , so I could really enjoy the tons of nostalgia.

One thing I didn't understand was why every car (except for Pitt and Manson family) looked shiny and new. It must have been intentional, but I watched some of the extras and they never explained that.

I read Helter Skelter and was somewhat nervous about seeing it reenacted. That said, the ending had me roaring with laughter and made the film for me.

I didn't notice it the first time, but definitely saw it the second time after a podcast mentioned it - the people around disappear after the Zoe Bell comes in and starts yelling.  Does that mean that it was in Brad's head?

2 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Finally saw it.

I think with the cars, this is a fairytale. We want to remember all the cars being shiny and clean. I hadn't noticed that detail but it would be my understanding of it. 

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

I didn't notice it the first time, but definitely saw it the second time after a podcast mentioned it - the people around disappear after the Zoe Bell comes in and starts yelling.  Does that mean that it was in Brad's head?

Yes, after seeing it again and paying attention there, it's definitely Pitt daydreaming about how he remembered things.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2019 at 10:50 PM, Wingnut said:

I'm a huge Tarantino fan and I thought it was meh. Some good dialogue but I found it pretty boring. I put it above Deathproof and Jackie Brown, but that's about it.

Watched it a 2nd time and loved it. I'm not sure why I didn't get it the first time around. 

Edited by Wingnut
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Watched it a 2nd time and loved it. I'm not sure why I didn't get it the first time around. 

I wonder if knowing the ending was going to be silly helped make the first part of the movie seem different.

3rd time and this is honestly the funniest #### 

ANYBODY ORDER FRIED SAUERKRAUT!!!!!!!!

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

I got to do ####in gosh darn eyetalian movies that's the ####in problem!!!!!!

Edited by Ilov80s

26 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I got to do ####in gosh darn eyetalian movies that's the ####in problem!!!!!!

Leo is ####in' fantastic in this.   I still can't get over the ending, but I do realize that is me wishing that QT was something he is not.  It's basically just me banging my head up against the wall at this point as I reconcile with that side of him in movies I think are otherwise mostly amazing - IB and this one.  I do want to revisit Django soon, and I have thought about a slow trek through Leo's movie catalog soon too.  

• Like 1

Just now, KarmaPolice said:

I assume you bought this on BR, @Ilov80s ?

For sure. I love love this movie. 

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

For sure. I love love this movie. 

:thumbup:

I will buy it soon too, my rewatch was of a library copy.  I didn't check- any decent bonus features? 

3 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

:thumbup:

I will buy it soon too, my rewatch was of a library copy.  I didn't check- any decent bonus features? 

I haven't watched yet but the bonus features sound good 

I am watching Boogie Nights for the umpteenth time right now, @Ilov80s, and I am guessing my love for this movie rivals for love for Once Upon a Time.... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I am watching Boogie Nights for the umpteenth time right now, @Ilov80s, and I am guessing my love for this movie rivals for love for Once Upon a Time.... 

I remember seeing Boogie Nights when it came out and thinking it was a hell of a movie 

8 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I remember seeing Boogie Nights when it came out and thinking it was a hell of a movie 

Wait, you haven't seen it since the 90s? 

Wait, you haven't seen it since the 90s? 

Yeah. Crazy, right? 

Go fetch her and tell her I'll give her a fat 5 dollar gold piece if she play her chilli pepper heart out 

5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Not sure what to do with this info.  ;)

PTA is a guy I am always a bit unsure about 

Just now, Ilov80s said:

PTA is a guy I am always a bit unsure about 

Fair enough.  We cant agree on everything.  

• Like 1

Fair enough.  We cant agree on everything.  

He ain't no beaner bronco buster but PTAis a genius, There Will Be Blood is maybe the best ever. 

On 12/30/2019 at 12:12 PM, Courtjester said:

Even as the movie was ending, I expected QT to have a 2nd car come up the street 

That’s exactly how I was expecting it to end after the ambulance left.

I’m completely torn on my feeling about the movie - I’ve gone back and forth from loving it to finding some scenes too long and a tad meh.  It undeniable it’s just an overall very good to great movie when you take all aspects of movie making in to account - sets, screenplay, soundtrack, scenes.  Just solid filmmaking.  Ultimately I come down in the side of loving it because there’s so many highlights.

Highlights for me:

- Pitt - utter coolness, just exuded badassery

- Leo - probably the better acting performance as his character had much more depth to it

- the ranch scene - holy hell was that a good scene 

- Bruce Lee scene :lmao: loved it

- Leo at the pool at the end - I literally LOL’d on the plane, fantastic

Lowlight - we all knew there would be the gratuitous violence at the end but I hate when it gets a little too comical.  Just distracts.  I was a big fan of the “alternate ending” though.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

That’s exactly how I was expecting it to end after the ambulance left.

I’m completely torn on my feeling about the movie - I’ve gone back and forth from loving it to finding some scenes too long and a tad meh.  It undeniable it’s just an overall very good to great movie when you take all aspects of movie making in to account - sets, screenplay, soundtrack, scenes.  Just solid filmmaking.  Ultimately I come down in the side of loving it because there’s so many highlights.

Highlights for me:

- Pitt - utter coolness, just exuded badassery

- Leo - probably the better acting performance as his character had much more depth to it

- the ranch scene - holy hell was that a good scene 

- Bruce Lee scene :lmao: loved it

- Leo at the pool at the end - I literally LOL’d on the plane, fantastic

Lowlight - we all knew there would be the gratuitous violence at the end but I hate when it gets a little too comical.  Just distracts.  I was a big fan of the “alternate ending” though.

I’m with you on that. Loved everything about the movie except the cartoonish violence at the end. I know it’s his style but it was a distraction for me. Same thing caused me to dislike The Hateful Eight. 

18 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

I’m with you on that. Loved everything about the movie except the cartoonish violence at the end. I know it’s his style but it was a distraction for me. Same thing caused me to dislike The Hateful Eight. 

At least in H8 it kind of fits.  In OUTIH it’s just kind of ludicrous.  Definitely not unexpected and is his calling card of sorts but damn it was just so out of place here, IMO.

I have now scene parasite and 1917 and I can say without a shadow of a doubt its a damn travesty that this movie didnt win it all.  Its an obvious prejudice against QT.   How in the hell is parasite even remotely in the same conversation as Once?   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

2 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

At least in H8 it kind of fits.  In OUTIH it’s just kind of ludicrous.  Definitely not unexpected and is his calling card of sorts but damn it was just so out of place here, IMO.

Agree 1000%.    That's a bit of the difference between H8 and Once Upon a Time and IB.   The other two it just felt so out of place for me in a movies that were filled with brilliance up to the point where the bloody revenges were enacted.  Comical is a good way to put it, and for me it distracts big time.  I have 0 issues with extreme violence/blood in movies, but it's just odd to me that he feels to inject the b-movie Grindhouse violence in every movie now.  

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Agree 1000%.    That's a bit of the difference between H8 and Once Upon a Time and IB.   The other two it just felt so out of place for me in a movies that were filled with brilliance up to the point where the bloody revenges were enacted.  Comical is a good way to put it, and for me it distracts big time.  I have 0 issues with extreme violence/blood in movies, but it's just odd to me that he feels to inject the b-movie Grindhouse violence in every movie now.  

I honestly think I it may have cost him the Oscar.  

10 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I thought Brad Pitt did a good job acting, but I think his character wasn't much of a stretch for him to play. I agree about Leo. Anyway, I thought the movie was ok. It was a long movie, and some of the parts dragged, which made it seem even longer. Had those parts that dragged been more interesting or entertaining, I would have liked the movie more. This is my favorite scene in the movie.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I disagree as I thought it was unexpected and side-splitting hilarious. :shrug:

As far as Hateful 8, I thought that film was a very weak imitation of his previous films, stretched out as least an hour too long.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I disagree as I thought it was unexpected and side-splitting hilarious. :shrug:

IMO, describing gratuitous violence as “side-splitting hilarious” kind of proves my point.

Reality that night was shock-the-world violent.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gump said:

Reality that night was shock-the-world violent.

Right, it was obvious the movie was headed towards something terribly violent. The alternative was seeing a pregnant Margo Robbie stabbed to death her blood smeared all over the walls. I am repeatedly surprised by people who didn't like the ending. The alternative is positively ghoulish. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Right, it was obvious the movie was headed towards something terribly violent. The alternative was seeing a pregnant Margo Robbie stabbed to death her blood smeared all over the walls. I am repeatedly surprised by people who didn't like the ending. The alternative is positively ghoulish. 

To be clear, I am not arguing for seeing the bolded.   I reconciled with QT's vision of a "what if" alternative history ending after the first viewing.   I am specifically talking about his style of violence when that scene does go down.  It just comes of as goofy, shlocky, grindhouse, whatever the descriptor is.   I get it that is QT's thing, but most of the time I don't think it fits what he is doing with the rest of the movie and it takes my ratings of those movies down a touch.  I felt the same with the Hitler ending in Basterds.     His career starting with a violent movie - we see Roth bleeding out all over and somebody get their ear cut off, I am just curious why he got away from that type of realistic violence and now has to inject his B-movie violence in all his movies.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

To be clear, I am not arguing for seeing the bolded.   I reconciled with QT's vision of a "what if" alternative history ending after the first viewing.   I am specifically talking about his style of violence when that scene does go down.  It just comes of as goofy, shlocky, grindhouse, whatever the descriptor is.   I get it that is QT's thing, but most of the time I don't think it fits what he is doing with the rest of the movie and it takes my ratings of those movies down a touch.  I felt the same with the Hitler ending in Basterds.     His career starting with a violent movie - we see Roth bleeding out all over and somebody get their ear cut off, I am just curious why he got away from that type of realistic violence and now has to inject his B-movie violence in all his movies.  

I think it made perfect sense here. It’s a movie about a washed up TV actor doing B level spaghetti westerns, his blacklisted stunt double and a young actress known for her roles in The Valley of the Dolls and The Fearless Vampire Killers. Plus the movie was a comedy to begin with. Not full on slapstick comedy but it’s definitely meant to be funny throughout. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I think it made perfect sense here. It’s a movie about a washed up TV actor doing B level spaghetti westerns, his blacklisted stunt double and a young actress known for her roles in The Valley of the Dolls and The Fearless Vampire Killers. Plus the movie was a comedy to begin with. Not full on slapstick comedy but it’s definitely meant to be funny throughout. 

Like I've admitted before - I do have QT biases going in.  Mostly my reaction was more like an eyeroll and "here we go again".    I just want him to do a movie without that stuff, but that's not what he is about now.   Like somebody suggested above, is this what is holding him back for Oscar time too?  

ETA:  and I get that's what the characters of the movie were involved with, but IMO that is not the tone of the movie up to that point, and that's where I am saying the shlock violence doesn't match up.  

Edited by KarmaPolice

59 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I’m with you. A well acted, thoroughly enjoyable movie taken down a half notch with shtick type violence. Kill Bill was camp throughout so it fit. This was a Oscar worthy performance on all levels that played it pretty straight until it went off the rails. That said, still my favorite movie of the year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fruity pebbles said:

I’m with you. A well acted, thoroughly enjoyable movie taken down a half notch with shtick type violence. Kill Bill was camp throughout so it fit. This was a Oscar worthy performance on all levels that played it pretty straight until it went off the rails. That said, still my favorite movie of the year. 

One of mine as well, and I will buy it and watch it multiple times.   

(I just wanted to get that out of the way before Fanatic comes in and accuses me of hating everything) ;) 

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

It killed the tension of the scene though. Throughout the movie there were great tense moments (at the ranch, the drunk confrontation when they pulled down his street etc).  I was all for a super violent ending, even a alternative ending, but the campiness just made it goofy whereas the rest of the movie had a totally different feel. 

19 minutes ago, fruity pebbles said:

It killed the tension of the scene though. Throughout the movie there were great tense moments (at the ranch, the drunk confrontation when they pulled down his street etc).  I was all for a super violent ending, even a alternative ending, but the campiness just made it goofy whereas the rest of the movie had a totally different feel. 

That’s fair. I loved it and felt it was right in line with a movie about goofy camp actors. I am surprised I’m here defending QT as I’ve been pretty critical of him in the past. 

... howzabout an alternate ending where we have the Tate murders occur (offscreen), which grabs the attention of our heroes ... then have Pitt/Leo chase them back to Spahn Ranch, where they waste everybody, including Charlie.

.... final scene is the blood soaked pair leading old man Spahn out by the hand, ala Willard/Lance at the end of "Apocalypse Now"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

:goodposting:

A very good summary.