What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who are the top 3 NBA players? (1 Viewer)

Spiderman

Footballguy
In-game NBA question for everyone. Who is the best player in the NBA and should Kawhi Leonard be given serious consideration for that  honor as the best player in the NBA? Obviously, you have guys like James, Durant, Curry, Harden, Antetokounmpo and others......

Quick thoughts - Who are the top 3 NBA players?

Top 10

Two way tier

1.  Kawhi

2.  Giannis

3.  Durant

Curry Tier

4.  Steph Curry

Anti-team concept tier

5.  Lebron

6.  Harden

Rounding out the top 10

7.  Anthony Davis

8.  Embiid

9.  Dame Lillard

10.  Paul George

It's really tough for me to leave Curry of a list like this. He is probably the most explosive (Durant/Harden can also make this case) of the elite. Klay Thompson is also in that category.

He's the 3rd best player on his own team, but where do you put rank him overall? I'd say he's probably around 10-12.
He may be 15-20. I'd like to see him without the benefit of playing with 2 MVPs and actually having to carry a team and draw the top opponents defenders.

I read this as what order would I draft them in if I started a team...and I think if you can't shoot and play at last some defense your game is significantly limited.

Durant

Kawhi

Curry

LeBron

George

Top 10

Two way tier

1.  Kawhi

2.  Giannis

3.  Durant

Curry Tier

4.  Steph Curry

Anti-team concept tier

5.  Lebron

6.  Harden

Rounding out the top 10

7.  Anthony Davis

8.  Embiid

9.  Dame Lillard

10.  Paul George
Including postseason think you need to bump Curry up to top tier .  PG13 had fantastic year and needs to move up a few spots.  Think Kyrie and Jokic merit serious attention in bottom tier as well.

I read this as what order would I draft them in if I started a team...and I think if you can't shoot and play at last some defense your game is significantly limited.

Durant

Kawhi

Curry

LeBron

George
If you're starting a team, Anteaternintendo's youth and consistent improvement puts him at the top of the list for me. He's gotten better every season and I wouldn't be against him fixing holes in his game. The Raps were fortunate to win in OT, but the Bucks will rebound and take the series.

If you're starting a team, Anteaternintendo's youth and consistent improvement puts him at the top of the list for me. He's gotten better every season and I wouldn't be against him fixing holes in his game. The Raps were fortunate to win in OT, but the Bucks will rebound and take the series.
Next year?

He shot 41% from 10-19 feet this year. Not great but good enough to respect. He got locked up by a legendary defender in this series. 
Regular season is great.  Playoffs another story.

We saw that he is limited when a defense decides he isn't going to beat them going to the rim.  

I love watching the guy, not hating on him at all.  

I thought simply getting Giannis the ball on the wing instead of the top would have helped him penetrate better.  The ball in his hands at the top makes it real easy for that "wall" to get set up.

But I'm posting about basketball on a fantasy football board, so what do I know.

Harden, Giannis, Kawhi for me.

Interesting that the bigs aren't getting a shred of love in here though -- Gobert, Towns, Davis.

We saw that he is limited when a defense decides he isn't going to beat them going to the rim.  

The defense was largely one of the best defensive players ever. I don’t think most teams have that. 

His shooters have to knock down shots. He could do better finding the right guy, but his passing and vision was pretty good. The defense has to be concerned with at least 2 other guys being open for Giannis to get his space. 

That was more Bledsoe and Middleton playing like crap.  Giannis was still putting up 20 plus per night despite a defense selling out to stop him. If his support guys play their average the Bucks would’ve won in 5.  He got no support this series at all. 

He does need to improve his shot but with his age and work ethic I don’t see why he won’t.

I’m stunned how many people have Durant ahead of Curry.  How many rings has Curry won without KD?  How many KD without Curry?  Both are great players but Curry is what makes GS go not KD.

Harden, Giannis, Kawhi for me.

Interesting that the bigs aren't getting a shred of love in here though -- Gobert, Towns, Davis.
Gobert is a great player and they use him really well, but no way does he have the versatility to be anywhere near the top 3 discussion, especially offensively.  Very limited.

Towns is a great offensive player, but his defense it still not great, so doesn't really belong in this discussion either, though he has more of a theoretical chance at some point in the future.

Gobert is a great player and they use him really well, but no way does he have the versatility to be anywhere near the top 3 discussion, especially offensively.  Very limited.

Towns is a great offensive player, but his defense it still not great, so doesn't really belong in this discussion either, though he has more of a theoretical chance at some point in the future.
I was looking at Basketball Reference after reading through the thread and was surprised to see the three big guys I listed as all being top 10 in terms of Win Shares/48 over the last three years among players with at least 30 mins a game.  Obviously everyone in the thread agrees with you, but I thought it was interesting that they were all listed so highly and hadn't been mentioned at all.  Maybe the value of interior defense and rebounding is underrated?

btw... came across "The Stifle Tower" for Gobert while digging around.  Maybe that's a known thing, but I hadn't heard it before.  Top nick.

I was looking at Basketball Reference after reading through the thread and was surprised to see the three big guys I listed as all being top 10 in terms of Win Shares/48 over the last three years among players with at least 30 mins a game.  Obviously everyone in the thread agrees with you, but I thought it was interesting that they were all listed so highly and hadn't been mentioned at all.  Maybe the value of interior defense and rebounding is underrated?

btw... came across "The Stifle Tower" for Gobert while digging around.  Maybe that's a known thing, but I hadn't heard it before.  Top nick.
It is great, though very hard to determine whether it is better than the French rejection.

i don’t think the value of interior defense is underrated.  It is a big part of the success if the bucks, sixers and others.  Certainly protecting the rim is important, but if your key rim protectors can’t move well enough on the floor, then better three point shooting and pick and roll teams will eat them up.  Those guys may add a lot to stats and regular season wins, but they still have limitations that can be exploited in today’s nba.

Top 10

Two way tier

1.  Kawhi

2.  Giannis

3.  Durant

Curry Tier

4.  Steph Curry

Anti-team concept tier

5.  Lebron

6.  Harden

Rounding out the top 10

7.  Anthony Davis

8.  Embiid

9.  Dame Lillard

10.  Paul George
This is pretty good overall, imo.  It is difficult to do these things, because it depends on what time frame we are talking about.  One game today for a million dollars? Just this year's playoffs?  Starting now through next year?  To build your franchise around for the next 10 years?  To have the best regular season?  To just have the overall best skillset?

When I think about this, I usually think about it in about a two-year window and weight the playoffs more heavily, though probably try to take into account all of those things to varying degrees.  Ideally, the player would meet some minimum threshold for all them, have versatility to work on most any team in a vacuum, unlikely to regress much in the next 2 years, and still have some additional room to grow.

So I think from that standpoint, those 3 are right for the top 3.  Curry is a tough one.  I'm sure that GSW would never imagine that having Durant would have been better for them than Curry at any point in the past or near future.  But to be placed on any random team, Durant's physical profile and greater defensive ability is likely to create more value.  I guess the question of "best" depends on whether you are leaning more toward total skills or actual impact on wins (and wins at the highest level).  From the latter standpoint, it would be hard to argue against Curry.  Especially if assuming that offense is more important than defense in the NBA right now.

Regarding the original question about Kawhi, I think there is no doubt that he is in the top 3 right now.

I’m stunned how many people have Durant ahead of Curry.  How many rings has Curry won without KD?  How many KD without Curry?  Both are great players but Curry is what makes GS go not KD.
I'm sure that GSW would never imagine that having Durant would have been better for them than Curry at any point in the past or near future.  But to be placed on any random team, Durant's physical profile and greater defensive ability is likely to create more value.  I guess the question of "best" depends on whether you are leaning more toward total skills or actual impact on wins (and wins at the highest level).

Freak falls out, Kawhi or Curry moves up behind Kang & KD. Scary Terry in 5th, of course.

Not saying Giannis wouldnt be the 1st player i chooseup, but he just proved he aint readymade yet, so falls out.

Freak falls out, Kawhi or Curry moves up behind Kang & KD. Scary Terry in 5th, of course.

Not saying Giannis wouldnt be the 1st player i chooseup, but he just proved he aint readymade yet, so falls out.
Yup. If we were picking for next year, he’s down a slight bit. If we were picking to build a franchise for the future, he’s #1 by a wide margin. 

Yup. If we were picking for next year, he’s down a slight bit. If we were picking to build a franchise for the future, he’s #1 by a wide margin. 
It's comical that the Bucks season ended on a jumped P&R, cuz it's what they shoulda been doing all along and wouldnta been jumpable if they knew how to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curry himself defers to KD.  That is what actually happens on the basketball court.

Anti-team concept tier

5.  Lebron

6.  Harden
Harden doesn’t make the top three (and I don’t really disagree with your ranking overall), but it’s worth mentioning that “anti-team” Harden had more assists per game this season than every other player on your list. 

Steph may ultimately be more valuable to his team, but KD is easily the better all around player imo. 

Curry himself defers to KD.  That is what actually happens on the basketball court.
Well he plays a lot at the point so that’s kind of his job.  Golden State can win a championship without Durant they can’t win one without Curry.

Well he plays a lot at the point so that’s kind of his job.  Golden State can win a championship without Durant they can’t win one without Curry.
Doesn't he play point guard either way?  Sure seems to take the alpha role with KD out, defers to KD as the alpha when he is in.

And how do you know second part?  Have they had a chance to do it with KD, without Curry?  This team wins it with either scenario imo.

matuski said:
Doesn't he play point guard either way?  Sure seems to take the alpha role with KD out, defers to KD as the alpha when he is in.

And how do you know second part?  Have they had a chance to do it with KD, without Curry?  This team wins it with either scenario imo.
My point is KD couldn’t win a championship without Curry.  He led an extremely talented OKC team that couldn’t get past Golden State.  Overall KD may be more talented that Curry but I think Curry has that same drive/moxie, whatever you want to call it that MJ had that separates him from other top players.  

My point is KD couldn’t win a championship without Curry.  He led an extremely talented OKC team that couldn’t get past Golden State.  Overall KD may be more talented that Curry but I think Curry has that same drive/moxie, whatever you want to call it that MJ had that separates him from other top players.  
That's why he's moving on - to prove different. He signed w GS because Jerry West told him that his legacy would hinge on whether he had championships so use the huge jump in cap to sign w the Dubs and get em right away. Now he finds himself cursed as a bandwagoneer, so he'll resolve that by bringing a title back to the East w a li'l help from his friends

This  Golden State team would win with or without either one.  OKC was a dysfunctional mess of a team.

Jordan would never defer to another player.  His drive and moxie and ego would never back down to another player.  That is nonsense.

Again, when KD steps on the court with Curry... Curry takes the backseat.

Users who are viewing this thread