What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Want to climb Mt. Everest? Maybe find a new place... (1 Viewer)

Wow.  Think I’d avoid the crowds and try for some alone time with maybe the mountain equivalent of an Offdee 7.

If Everest didn't kill a bunch of people, then it's not worth bragging about surviving it. Sounds like it's more dangerous than a wing suit.

I feel bad for all the friends of the people in that line. All they ever are going to hear about, for the rest of their friendship, is how Mr. Yutz scaled Everest. With the selfie to prove it....

Yeah but an offdee 10 woman isn't going to sleep with you because you summitted Dhaulagiri V.  She might if you bagged Everest.
The price of a black permanent maker for your nose, fingers, toes and paying some highschool kid $20 to photoshop your selfie at the top seems like it would save a lot of time and trouble. In the world we live in today if it's posted on instagram..... it happened.

an ex of mine scaled it twice ... always found that fact fascinating because she was a smack addict - prior to each attempt she would exile herself to Port Townsend to get clean - then make the trek to Nepal.  this was circa '99/'01, never recall her #####ing about the crowds  :shrug:

she wound up marrying a sherpa - i met the dude at the tattoo parlour where she was working - guy looked so fish outta water, it was unnerving ... was scared ####less of everything around him - haven't seen or talked to her in quite some time, but i'd bet green US currency that sherpy spit the bit. 

otb_lifer said:
she wound up marrying a sherpa - i met the dude at the tattoo parlour where she was working - guy looked so fish outta water, it was unnerving ... was scared ####less of everything around him - haven't seen or talked to her in quite some time, but i'd bet green US currency that sherpy spit the bit. 
This is beautiful. Sounds like he needed a guide.

otb_lifer said:
an ex of mine scaled it twice ... always found that fact fascinating because she was a smack addict - prior to each attempt she would exile herself to Port Townsend to get clean - then make the trek to Nepal.  this was circa '99/'01, never recall her #####ing about the crowds  :shrug:

In '99 there were 63 recorded unique summits. In '00 that number grew to 107. In '01, 120 first-timers.

More folks are summiting per day now than in entire seasons 20 years ago.

This is beautiful. Sounds like he needed a guide.
they lived in Williamsburg, right on the cusp of the great swarming - she was a pioneering sort (obviously) - they were locked down most of the time in a third floor, cold water walkup on Roebling, a very nasty part of "the 'Bill" to plant a flag - but, hey, after all their Nepal experiences, i guess it was a "what, me worry?" Newman-esque pose - but i'll be a mofo if dude wasn't quaking at every blaring horn, loud voice, crashing noise, etc - wrapped so ####### tight - dunno how the #### he navigated his old gig  :shrug:  when i went to shake his hand he cowered backwards. poor sum#####. 

In '99 there were 63 recorded unique summits. In '00 that number grew to 107. In '01, 120 first-timers.

More folks are summiting per day now than in entire seasons 20 years ago.
yep, this explains an awful lot to the point i spoke of about the crowds some 20 yrs ago - 'dafook are all these newbies coming from?  that's a staggering increase, to say the very least  :shock:

otb_lifer said:

you should turn that into a country song.

they lived in Williamsburg, right on the cusp of the great swarming - she was a pioneering sort (obviously) - they were locked down most of the time in a third floor, cold water walkup on Roebling, a very nasty part of "the 'Bill" to plant a flag - but, hey, after all their Nepal experiences, i guess it was a "what, me worry?" Newman-esque pose - but i'll be a mofo if dude wasn't quaking at every blaring horn, loud voice, crashing noise, etc - wrapped so ####### tight - dunno how the #### he navigated his old gig  :shrug:  when i went to shake his hand he cowered backwards. poor sum#####. 

yep, this explains an awful lot to the point i spoke of about the crowds some 20 yrs ago - 'dafook are all these newbies coming from?  that's a staggering increase, to say the very least  :shock:
Listened to a Rogan podcast recently and he had a guy on there who rescues these idiots who go up with no training or preparation.  It’s become a status symbol to say you've done it.  This guy is out there risking his life for people who have no clue what they are doing and think because they have money they can make the trek and then when it gets hard they can ask the helicopter to come pick them up.  I wish they’d let a few of these morons freeze to death to make sure the other morons stay away.  And to be clear - I couldn’t do it and wouldn’t even try it even if I had the money.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Listened to a Rogan podcast recently and he had a guy on there who rescues these idiots who go up with no training or preparation.  It’s become a status symbol to say you've done it.  This guy is out there risking his life for people who have no clue what they are doing and think because they have money they can make the trek and then when it gets hard they can ask the helicopter to come pick them up.  I wish they’d let a few of these morons freeze to death to make sure the other morons stay away.  And to be clear - I couldn’t do it and wouldn’t even try it even if I had the money.  
People attempt Everest with no training or preparation?

Why do you think it's called Green Boots Cave?

Nine  Eleven people have died on Everest this year. People do die, but you still see the lines.

There should be a helicopter service that just flies you to the top, winches you down on a rope just long enough for a selfie, then flies back down. 
 Everest is too high. You're not able to move people around at 29K feet.

Delsalle's Everest summit remains the only one and was done in a helicopter that wouldn't be able to carry another person.

23000 feet remains the highest medical rescue flight on Everest. There's a reason why people who die on Everest stay on Everest. No one can just chopper in and land.

Anyone that came down to the summit would pass out. People go between Base Camp and Camp II a couple times just to acclimate.

Everest is too high. You're not able to move people around at 29K feet.

Delsalle's Everest summit remains the only one and was done in a helicopter that wouldn't be able to carry another person.

23000 feet remains the highest medical rescue flight on Everest. There's a reason why people who die on Everest stay on Everest. No one can just chopper in and land.

Anyone that came down to the summit would pass out. People go between Base Camp and Camp II a couple times just to acclimate.
Do we still havethe whoosh emoji?

Do we still havethe whoosh emoji?
Nah, the :whoosh: is for the guys acting like Everest is the next thing to a McDonald's Playground.

The crowds make the mountain more dangerous, not less. No one's getting carried to the summit. Once someone's within the last 3,000 feet, they are just trying to keep from dying.

Yes, there are fixed lines. Yes, there are guides and expeditions. Yes, people who look to go it alone with minimal oxygen and no porters have a lower summit and survival rate.

But to act like summiting Everest isn't an accomplishment is ridiculous.

Read that 5000 people have gone to the top and 300 have died trying. Those are...those are not great odds. 

When you can do it in a wheelchair, maybe the challenge isn't as great as it once was
You talking about Scott Doolan who is built like a truck and made it to base camp by wheelbarrowing his way there?

There have been a few amputees that have summited. Two blind people, both Seven Summiters. The first in 2001.

There's also thinly veiled bias in this post, inferring that if a disabled person can complete a task that task is somehow easier than if a disabled person cannot.

otb_lifer said:

She summited twice?

She summited twice?
scaled twice, not summited - believe she was most successful second time around. the third attempt was in the offing when last i spoke to her, but she went off the grid for a couple years and i never found out how it all went. 

she was a very sporty/outdoorsy type, which belied her "alterna-rock goddess" poses - those kids from the PNW, ya know?  what with their penchant for biking everywhere - the huge B'klyn influx around that time altered the City's traffic scape forever - us natives never rode bikes past the age of 12/13 - the only adults zippin' around on two wheels were messengers back in our day. 

####### blows now. 

There's something poetic about dying trying to scale the highest mountain on earth.

Dying while waiting in line to take a selfie just makes you an idiot.

Sadly, many national parks are also becoming overcrowded. It's a weird balance because you want everyone to be able to enjoy our parks and have access, but that also ends up creating a less enjoyable experience when the crowds make it difficult to see anything.

Though the biggest problem in parks isn't just the overcrowding, it's the lack of respect for the park and nature. Too many people treat it like a consumable product.

Wtf is with all of the misleading language regarding everest too? Scaled, climbed, ascended...

"Climbed mount everest"  should only be used to describe people that made it to the top. 

"Tried to climb" should be what is used for all the other people that didnt. 

Why do you think it's called Green Boots Cave?
Is it named for the dead body with green boots that has been used for years as a navigational landmark?  That dead hiker was discussed in the Krakauer book, Into Thin Air.  I think they removed that body a few years ago

Wtf is with all of the misleading language regarding everest too? Scaled, climbed, ascended...

"Climbed mount everest"  should only be used to describe people that made it to the top. 

"Tried to climb" should be what is used for all the other people that didnt. 
semantics, in'nit?

i agree with "summited" as description for reaching the apex ... people can climb or scale and still come up very short - it's a big mountain, ya know?  :shrug:

People attempt Everest with no training or preparation?
I’m basing this solely on the podcast but that was the essence of his comments.  It’s probably hyperbole to say no training or prep but it’s not what you would expect and not enough for them to be able to handle it.  It used to be that people would plan and train for years to do it - now people treat it like a beach trip.  “Hey, let go climb Everest!”

If you see a washington post headline that says "xxxx successfully climbed everest" you arent expecting to read an article about a guy that made it halfway there. 
fixed 

conversely, if i venture over, and make it a scant few hundred feet up, well ... i climbed it 

i wouldn't have climbed it successfuly or summited,  but i would've climbed it. 

Users who are viewing this thread