What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WWYD (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
We've had our windows washed by the same company for 3 years or so.  It's a small company owned by "Buck" and he has a couple of employees.  We've arranged for them to wash the windows today but the weather sucks and he called my wife to cancel.  She suggested Friday but he's busy and he came back with Monday to which my wife agreed.  He then said, "Is it possible to get paid early?" My wife was taken aback and said something like, "I'm sorry, I don't do business that way," and she hung up.  Since then, he's called back several times and my wife's ignored the call.

What's your move?  Recognize that although he's cleaned our windows ~3ish times, we only see him once/year and never talk to him outside of this.

eta:  My wife didn't handle this like I would have but that's not the point.  I'm looking for speculation as to why he'd make a such a bold request of someone he barely knows and what we should do about it.  I also forgot that he texted at 530am this morning asking my wife to call as soon as she got the message.  I found that strange too.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've had our windows washed by the same company for 3 years or so.  It's a small company owned by "Buck" and he has a couple of employees.  We've arranged for them to wash the windows today but the weather sucks and he called my wife to cancel.  She suggested Friday but he's busy and he came back with Monday to which my wife agreed.  He then said, "Is it possible to get paid early?" My wife was taken aback and said something like, "I'm sorry, I don't do business that way," and she hung up.  Since then, he's called back several times and my wife's ignored the call.

What's your move?  Recognize that although he's cleaned our windows ~3ish times, we only see him once/year and never talk to him outside of this.

eta:  My wife didn't handle this like I would have but that's not the point.  I'm looking for speculation as to why he'd make a such a bold request of someone he barely knows and what we should do about it.  I also forgot that he texted at 530am this morning asking my wife to call as soon as she got the message.  I found that strange too.
I cant see any reason why you would pay early.  And the fact that hes harassing your wife with repeated calls texts etc..Tells me hes trouble.  End the relationship now.

I cant see any reason why you would pay early.  And the fact that hes harassing your wife with repeated calls texts etc..Tells me hes trouble.  End the relationship now.
It is certainly brought up some questions.  However, there are some explanations which may explain the behavior.  This spring has been horrific--more rain than ever in recorded history which has had to kill his business.  There are other explanations which would be good reasons to end the relationship too, however.

That said, I don't understand her ignoring the calls after the 1st one.  He may have been calling to apologize/confirm Monday.  Seems a bit over the top to not answer a single call.  Now, if the 2nd phone call was anything but that, harassing, etc. , then sure, I get it.

Didn't see the edit before my post. Has he left messages? If not, maybe he's just trying to apologize and make sure he's still on for Monday (since she hung up on him)?
I don't think so.  My wife called me and asked for a suggestion as to her action.  I suggested she text something like, "I've been in a meeting but saw you called--what's up?"

That said, I don't understand her ignoring the calls after the 1st one.  He may have been calling to apologize/confirm Monday.  Seems a bit over the top to not answer a single call.  Now, if the 2nd phone call was anything but that, harassing, etc. , then sure, I get it.
He has no idea why she's not answering--any number of legitimate reasons for this.  He also should be leaving a message instead of called back multiple times.

Payment up front for a service like that that doesn't exactly need a deposit or retainer? No.

I'd have probably reacted the same as your wife, but without hanging up or dodging the first call back. At this point, I think your idea is good for the text back.

supermike80 said:
Agree

NutterButter said:
Why did she hang up in the first place?   Was she that upset by his request?
Like I said, not how I'd have handled it but here we are.  She wasn't upset; she was surprised. 

Another possibility:

You're no young Buck, if you know what I mean. The wife and Buck have had something going on, you were supposed to be out of town, and he called at 5:30am. When that didn't go over well, they needed to come up with a story as to why he's calling at 5:30am. What better story than to ask for payment ahead of time for window cleaning.  Then he can call multiple times while she "ignores" all the calls. 

Start hiding money.

Another possibility:

You're no young Buck, if you know what I mean. The wife and Buck have had something going on, you were supposed to be out of town, and he called at 5:30am. When that didn't go over well, they needed to come up with a story as to why he's calling at 5:30am. What better story than to ask for payment ahead of time for window cleaning.  Then he can call multiple times while she "ignores" all the calls. 

Start hiding money.
Ironically, she texted me this am and asked me to hide the cash I have on my desk.  No joke.  Our renter pays in cash and recently gave me two months rent.

Maybe he's trying to get ahold of her to let her know he was able to rearrange his schedule and Friday is a go?  :shrug:

If I am in his position and need the cash that bad to make the early payment request, I figure out a way to get the job done by Friday. 
Well he might be busy Friday because it's the first day it's not raining in a month and he is way behind in people whose windows he was supposed to wash weeks ago. I don't know about where Chet is at but it's rained every day here in Michigan for a month. A family friend is supposed to be putting in a patio for us but he is so far behind schedule because there haven't been any dry days for him to lay cement. He is taking a beating. 

So my wife talked to him and said she wasn't comfortable paying early due to previous experiences and he said, "Do you know how hard it was to ask?"  She then mentioned the 530am text and he said he hasn't been sleeping.  She asked if there was anyway he could do the job on Friday and he said no.  She knows it's been tough for him but said she got a weird vibe.  A little later, the sun came out and she texted asking if he wanted to start today and he could at least do the inside and earn half--no answer.

So my wife talked to him and said she wasn't comfortable paying early due to previous experiences and he said, "Do you know how hard it was to ask?"  She then mentioned the 530am text and he said he hasn't been sleeping.  She asked if there was anyway he could do the job on Friday and he said no.  She knows it's been tough for him but said she got a weird vibe.  A little later, the sun came out and she texted asking if he wanted to start today and he could at least do the inside and earn half--no answer.
definitely heroin.  more likely, meth.

find a new window guy.

jhib said:
Didn't see the edit before my post. Has he left messages? If not, maybe he's just trying to apologize and make sure he's still on for Monday (since she hung up on him)?
This is what I am thinking, too.

Are you serious?  I don't take this lightly but I also don't have a lot of exposure to addicts.
i am.  it's a bit tongue in cheek, but buck's actions, are odd at best.  it raises some red flags for me.  the 'construction' business is rife with functioning addicts.  proceed with caution.

Time to get a new window guy.  Can probably find a few good options on ShukesList. 

What is the normal pay schedule? Does he finish windows then get paid same day? Or does he finish windows and then send a bill 3 weeks later?

If he is asking to get paid before actually washing the windows there is no freaking way I would agree to that.

i am.  it's a bit tongue in cheek, but buck's actions, are odd at best.  it raises some red flags for me.  the 'construction' business is rife with functioning addicts.  proceed with caution.
If anybody would know this, it's a guy who works in the restaurant industry. ;)

Another possibility:

Start hiding money.
The only logical scenario

I think it was super cool of your wife to offer half for coming and doing the interiors. His lack of response pretty much tell you all you need to know.

Users who are viewing this thread