What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need insurance advice dealing with USPS (1 Viewer)

Weebs210

Footballguy
Good afternoon all. 

On Friday the USPS driver hit my car parked legally infront of my house. No one was home and he left a note saying: vehicle accident/time/the name of the supervisor and a number to call for the local USPS office. 

I called the number and they transferred me to their claims guy for my city. Basically said they will mail me a forum to fill out (hopefully they don't hit my car again when they deliver it) then they will look into it.

It's my gfs car and currently it is not driveable. They will not provide a rental car during the period they look into the claim. They "may" provide a rental if found liable while they fix it. 

My other option is to file through my insurance, pay my $1k deductible and let my insurance company handle USPS. 

I may be able to get video surveillance from a neighbor, will talk to him today. I tried to get a police report done but the cop said he cannot make one due to it being a government entity. I did get a time stamp though showing he came out due to a reported accident. 

Any advice from someone who's dealt with this before would be appreciated or bring schtick. Thanks in advance.

Go through your insurance.  if you have broad form collision, and your story is true(not your fault) you won't pay any deductible.  Let the insurance company do all the dirty work recovering from the other party,.

Go through your insurance.  if you have broad form collision, and your story is true(not your fault) you won't pay any deductible.  Let the insurance company do all the dirty work recovering from the other party,.
I for sure have to pay my deductible to file through my insurance. I think I would get it back once USPS is found liable though.

I for sure have to pay my deductible to file through my insurance. I think I would get it back once USPS is found liable though.
They probably won't make you pay the deductible until the claim is settled and only if USPS is not found liable.  If you want any kind of quick response don't try to take on a gigantic bureaucracy like USPS on your own. Use your insurance or a lawyer.  If you've got time to burn then handle it yourself and have fun stringing them along when they want to close the claim.

This is what you pay premiums for. Your insurance company works for you on your behalf. The USPS already admitted fault. Tell the claims adjuster that you need a rental car. They should have an account with a rental car company at reduced rates. 

They probably won't make you pay the deductible until the claim is settled and only if USPS is not found liable.  If you want any kind of quick response don't try to take on a gigantic bureaucracy like USPS on your own. Use your insurance or a lawyer.  If you've got time to burn then handle it yourself and have fun stringing them along when they want to close the claim.
These guys are right, man.  Get the insurance company to take care of it for you, it's what you pay them for!

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
You've seen USPS trucks, right? Those Grumman LLVs are like a block of solid steel, near indestructible, and last forever (thus the LLV designation - "long-life vehicle"). 

I can easily seeing a bent axle and more/worse from even a light collision with one of those beasts.
Are you talking about UPS trucks ?

At least in my area (central Indiana), most USPS trucks are those small white mini-Jeep type vehicles that sound like they have about 50hp.

I do see those larger heavy step-vans that bulk mail is transported in, but his description made me think of the small residential variety.

Are you talking about UPS trucks ?

At least in my area (central Indiana), most USPS trucks are those small white mini-Jeep type vehicles that sound like they have about 50hp.

I do see those larger heavy step-vans that bulk mail is transported in, but his description made me think of the small residential variety.
UPS isn't a government entity.

Did you call your ins co and ask them on how to proceed? USPS won’t pay for rental until it’s been looked at and in garage to be fixed. 

Carrier did the right thing, not worth risking a pension for a careless accident 
The lady I spoke with at my local insurance office was pretty worthless. They said they have never dealt with this situation before and basically said my options are dealing with it myself or paying my deductible and get the process started on their end.

The lady I spoke with at my local insurance office was pretty worthless. They said they have never dealt with this situation before and basically said my options are dealing with it myself or paying my deductible and get the process started on their end.
The adjuster will decide if your deductible needs to be paid, not the office lady.  Start the process of getting the work done, and it is possible that before the work is completed, USPS may be willing to take over the claim.  Also, is the gf's car on your policy, or her own?  

The adjuster will decide if your deductible needs to be paid, not the office lady.  Start the process of getting the work done, and it is possible that before the work is completed, USPS may be willing to take over the claim.  Also, is the gf's car on your policy, or her own?  
The claims guy at USPS is having me fill out some paperwork and send it to him to get the process started. Would you recommend me filling that out and sending it in before filling my claim with my insurance or let my insurance company handle that? Her car and insurance are under my name.

OMG What co. is this? Tell her to let you talk to an Agent. Don’t make it too complicated initially by talking about the government being involved or anything like that. It’s an accident claim. 

They'll definitely make him pay the deductible and then he will get I back if USPS is found liable through the subrogation process.

You have to balance what is most important to you.  Getting the vehicle fixed fast and getting a rental car now versus not paying out the $1,000 for a period of time.  My gut tells me USPS will take a long time to get the claim settled.  I would just turn into SF, and also have your GF (not you) fill out the paperwork for USPS.   

I've always paid my deductible once work was complete on the vehicle if the process wasn't complete by time repairs were done.

A few weeks later I get a reimbursement check for the deductible.

Thought this was sop for insurance claims

Last edited by a moderator:
They'll definitely make him pay the deductible and then he will get I back if USPS is found liable through the subrogation process.
Interesting.  In a clear case of subrogation, my carrier doesn't charge the deductible unless they fail at subrogation. But maybe that's not the norm. Either way, he could probably manipulate it from his end.

In a clear case of subrogation, my carrier doesn't charge the deductible unless they fail at subrogation.
Neither does ours.  (Allstate)  We don't pay the deductible unless we are at fault.  Talk to someone at the toll-free number or your actual agent, not the office flunky.

Users who are viewing this thread