What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cricket World Cup (1 Viewer)

AAABatteries

Footballguy
I don’t watch cricket, never played, don’t understand the rules but I’m going to follow the results and root for the West Indies.  Anybody here a cricket expert and can provide a rundown of this year’s tournament?

I tried searching for an existing cricket thread but all I got was crickets from the search function. I’ll see myself out.

I don’t watch cricket, never played, don’t understand the rules but I’m going to follow the results and root for the West Indies.  Anybody here a cricket expert and can provide a rundown of this year’s tournament?

I tried searching for an existing cricket thread but all I got was crickets from the search function. I’ll see myself out.
Not an expert, but I have seen a fair bit of cricket when living in New Zealand and Europe.  I know the World Cup is a highly-regarded event, but I'll just say that these are one-day matches (ODI), so not real cricket from a purist perspective.

I’ll actually be in England during the World Cup next month.  I looked up tickets for England-Australia at Lord’s but there’s no way I’m dropping £300 a ticket for something I know next to nothing about.  That said however I too am pro-West Indies.

Jason Roy scored 153 on Saturday, best of the tournament so far, as England stomped Bangladesh in Cardiff by 106 runs despite Shakib Al Hasan's impressive 121.  Al Hasan leads all batsmen with 260 runs through three games, including 27 fours.  England still have to be favorites in this, despite the narrow loss to Pakistan last week.

New Zealand against India on Wednesday looks like a good matchup.  NZ have won their first three games with dominant bowling, but will still be an underdog to powerhouse India and their big hitters.

The ICC posts the daily match highlights on YouTube.  Been fun to follow.  India, England and NZ look like the best teams so far.  

Windies look decent, and I think they would have smoked South Africa in this last match but it got rained out.

rules explained

I got about 1/2 way through and got completely lost and realized I have no interest in this confusing game...but I slogged on until 3:58 and had a sudden change of heart and might reconsider.

They say it’s the biggest rivalry in all of sports. India and Pakistan just entered a rain delay, with India batting at 305 - 4 (46.2 overs). Game is at Old Trafford. Can’t imagine Pakistan coming back from this.

Huge upset today as Sri Lanka beats England by 20 runs.  Sri Lanka finished 50 overs with an underwhelming 232, but it was enough as they defended their total with great bowling and fielding, retiring England all-out with just 212 from 47 overs.  England have now lost twice, and their remaining 3 games are against the top 3 teams - Australia, India and NZ.  They still have good chances to make the semi's, but they made things hard on themselves today.

rules explained

I got about 1/2 way through and got completely lost and realized I have no interest in this confusing game...but I slogged on until 3:58 and had a sudden change of heart and might reconsider.
Two years ago I found myself in London with a few days to kill. So I bought a ticket to a County test (Middlesex v Yorkshire) at Lord's. I'm a typical US sports fan, follow the four major sports pretty faithfully, and know nothing about cricket. I have a friend in the US who is British and follows cricket religiously. So, as I was sitting at Lord's, having no idea what I was watching, I would text him and he would give me a live explanation. This was SO helpful. All the videos and explanations in the world can't replace watching cricket live with someone who can explain what you are watching.

They say it’s the biggest rivalry in all of sports. India and Pakistan just entered a rain delay, with India batting at 305 - 4 (46.2 overs). Game is at Old Trafford. Can’t imagine Pakistan coming back from this.
Hard to believe, but 1 billion people watched India v Pakistan. 100 million watched the last Super Bowl.

England did well to hold Australia to 285 (50 overs), but their bats have let them down and they have almost no chance now. England are at 125 for 5 (27.5 overs).  This sets up the game against India this weekend, already a massive rivalry.

England are all out  at 221 (44.4 overs) and lose by 64 runs.  Australia are in the semi-finals with two games to go, while England cling to a slim hope they can win the next two and squeak through.

Hoping this thread could help explain some of this.

I understood West Indies, Pakistan, England, and South Africa.  You made the rest up, right?

rules explained

Still hoping to learn something about cricket from this thread without having to watch youtube.

Go west indies? (I'm ron burgundy?)

Almost got into a fight in London because I told a guy England had a bunch of Dibbly-dobbly bowlers and that I hoped they got stuck on a double Nelson. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What is this?

Also, how are you able to watch it? I haven't been able to find a free streaming link
Match was tied. A Super Over is used to decide a winner. One over per side. Stokes and Buttler combined for 15 runs. NZ needed 2 off their last ball and Guptill was run out trying for the second run. 

Really amazing and tense match. Stokes was immense. 

I use livestream.is. But it was really choppy, so have to combine it with text commentary from BBC and CricInfo. Caught the end in a perfect picture on a free trial on Hotstar. I don't think there is a legit way to watch cricket in the US.

Who's writing this stuff?

The Angels wear their dead teammate's #45 in their first home game since he passed score seven in the 1st and throw a no-hitter as part of a 13-0 win.

Federer and Djoker go to 12-12 in the 5th and have to play the first ever tie-breaker in men's tennis major history.  In 2019, with a combined age of nearly 70.

The finals here end up TIED in regulation and come down to a defensive put out on the last ball.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
The finals here end up TIED in regulation and come down to a defensive put out on the last ball.
The highlights don’t explain the ending at all, but the super over was also tied 15 runs each. NZ needed 2 runs on the final ball because the first tiebreaker is most boundaries and England had that easily. They got one to tie, thrown out by a hair trying to reach the second. It’s really a terrible way to decide a championship, but thrilling nonetheless. So happy I spent the afternoon watching an 8-3 baseball game at miller Park, not that I ever figured out a away to watch the cricket live. Anyway, congrats to England. 

in some ways, this morning's match at Lord's is even more incredible and historic than the World Cup a few days ago. 

Ireland just bowled out England before lunch on day one. 85 all out.

Ireland is playing their 3rd test match- ever. England, 1011th test.

Again, Ireland smoking England in cricket. Wow.

link is a little wonky-

http://cricfree.live/watchfeeds/others/18344

Users who are viewing this thread