What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jim Carrey (1 Viewer)

You start a thread with something you "guess" without anything to actually discuss?

Good stuff.

He actually is pretty good as an artist.  As is W.   

His episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Seinfeld was very good.  Definitely a strange dude.

He actually is pretty good as an artist.  As is W.   

His episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee with Seinfeld was very good.  Definitely a strange dude.
Like that show and never saw Jim....I will have to check it out.   Its interesting to see who is genuinely funny and who isnt.

Alec Baldwin is funny...all the time.   Sarah Jessica Parker was pretty funny too, and even Obama.

Will Ferrell..Nope....

Curious here. What's the point of this thread? Why does it belong here in the PSF?
Because Jim's art is extremely political. 

And what is with all the board cops...Does everyone feel it is their duty somehow to decide what is and is not valid on these boards?  It's an interesting dynamic you all have here.  Have you already reported the thread to the mods too?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not deciding nor am I playing board cop. Just curious why you felt a thread on Carrey belonged here. You've answered. Have fun.

eta: You can go on and mark down in your little yellow notebook that I never have, and never will, report someone. Not my game, man. My fee-fees don't get hurt over typed words from anonymous folks. 

And what is with all the board cops...Does everyone feel it is their duty somehow to decide what is and is not valid on these boards?  It's an interesting dynamic you all have here.  Have you already reported the thread to the mods too?
Nothing to report, your thread topics are just weird. 

Nothing to report, your thread topics are just weird. 
It's just incredible to me.  Bunch of posters who want to decide what should be on the board, comment about the OP, and not a single comment about the actual topic..I'm weird?  You guys are some seriously strange folks.

Any thought at all about his work? Do you like it? Do you find it strange? Does he get too much media attention for it? Too little?  Anything?  Or do you kids just like to comment about the posts.  Freaks.

It's just incredible to me.  Bunch of posters who want to decide what should be on the board, comment about the OP, and not a single comment about the actual topic..I'm weird?  You guys are some seriously strange folks.

Any thought at all about his work? Do you like it? Do you find it strange? Does he get too much media attention for it? Too little?  Anything?  Or do you kids just like to comment about the posts.  Freaks.
I thought we didn't give two ####s about celebrities and their political views?

I don't give a crap about Jim Carreys political leanings. Fair enough?
I don't think that was what I asked..But cool.  I was more interested in if people like his art....the coverage of his art...

Oh nevermind...Just go on whining about posters here..Seems more fun for you all.  jeez

I didn't say you were weird, I don't know you. Just saying your threads are often kind of weird. The Jim Carrey's art thread had no links to his art or a link to the Yahoo story. I think those are good things to include to get a thread going. Also, some of your thoughts on the art would help generate conversations. The last thread was about the size of the font on CNN. That story has a shelf life of 20 minutes before they update the site. It would have made more sense as just a comment in the on-going Trump-Russia thread or one of the threads about MSM.

always been this way - this board's more anal than an enema

ETA: btw, i love Carrey, i know what he's going for, psychically, and i know it's not there. common hippie vibe - being very unfree about how he's freeing himself up. wasn't he with that Playmate when she started all the anit-vax stuff? i saw some his work during that Comedians in Cars segment - seemed kinda cartoony to me, but that was the very 1st ep of that show. he mighta grown since, but i'd be surprised. just wasn't going in a very good direction

There really isn't anything movie-wise that he's ever been in that I liked much less him as a character. I did sort of like the Truman show, and maybe the Mask.

His work in In Living Color is classic though, that and the show will live on for a long time.

I will say Bruce Almighty is a massive waste of Jennifer Aniston, every scene she's in she chews it up but she is hardly there, and every scene he is in is painful to watch hamming of the worst kind.

:shrug:

Yahoo news posts or talks about his political drawings all the time.  Seems like a good PF topic.  

Total putz.

He was unfunny then and now he thinks people care about his paintings.  No surprise that "Yahoo" thinks it is news.  That is all they talk about any more, Carrey, AOC and Kardashians.
He's actually pretty funny and his career speaks for itself.  I'm not sure I want to know anyone who isn't a fan of Dumb and Dumber.  Could be a generation thing I suppose.

He hasn’t been the same mentally since the Andy Kauffman movie. 
droppin some knowledge there but, in the documentary about making the Andy Kaufman movie, he has a notion that is one of the most interesting i've ever seen come from an entertainment figure.

In Jim & Andy: The Great Beyond, Carrey acknowledges that he tried to inhabit rather than imitate Kaufman and that what started out as possibly a metaprank became the equivalent of a metamorphosis. Afterward, he wondered out loud, "What if, next - since i achieved that - i decided to inhabit Jesus Christ?".

That's an incredible idea. Carrey had tons of videotape and the testimony & assistance of Kaufman's intimates, but he never met Andy and yet reached a plane (i watched Kaufman work live on several occasions in the 70s) far beyond impression. He truly embodied & emspirited the character of a stranger. Well, we have Jesus words, deeds, history. We have 2000 years of analysis of the meaning of Christ. And we have the wish of many post-Christians that the ethic embody Jesus more than Paul & Popes & Evangels & whatever.

I know it's sacrilege, but what mortal will have a better platform from which to pursue the notion of bringing Christ into the modern day?

Carrey had tons of videotape and the testimony & assistance of Kaufman's intimates, but he never met Andy and yet reached a plane (i watched Kaufman work live on several occasions in the 70s) far beyond impression. He truly embodied & emspirited the character of a stranger.
I really appreciate your firsthand enjoyment of Kaufman, I certainly found him an inspiration. But I just found Carrey's performance overly mannered, so self-consciously obviously acting. I don't know if it was fault or the writing or the directing, but I also know I'd always tip my cap to you in terms of discussing such things. I don't know, I just can't get my head into that movie.

I didn't say you were weird, I don't know you. Just saying your threads are often kind of weird. The Jim Carrey's art thread had no links to his art or a link to the Yahoo story. I think those are good things to include to get a thread going. Also, some of your thoughts on the art would help generate conversations. The last thread was about the size of the font on CNN. That story has a shelf life of 20 minutes before they update the site. It would have made more sense as just a comment in the on-going Trump-Russia thread or one of the threads about MSM.
Again...sooooo worried about posting sytle, what is or isnt included. etc etc..Are you at all capable of just answering a question?  Or is it more fun, somehow, to control exactly how it is phrased, constructed etc.  I don't get it but hey, to each his own.  

There really isn't anything movie-wise that he's ever been in that I liked much less him as a character. I did sort of like the Truman show, and maybe the Mask.

His work in In Living Color is classic though, that and the show will live on for a long time.

I will say Bruce Almighty is a massive waste of Jennifer Aniston, every scene she's in she chews it up but she is hardly there, and every scene he is in is painful to watch hamming of the worst kind.
Yeah but Jenn was pretty hot in Bruce.  That was close to her prime hotness years.  The mask was fun, once, then it just wears on ya.  I liked the Truman Show though and really liked Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Again...sooooo worried about posting sytle, what is or isnt included. etc etc..Are you at all capable of just answering a question?  Or is it more fun, somehow, to control exactly how it is phrased, constructed etc.  I don't get it but hey, to each his own.  
I am not worried about anything you are doing. I am providing constructive criticism about what makes a good topic, will get good responses, etc. 

always been this way - this board's more anal than an enema
Been to a few boards and I have to say I've never seen one quite like this.  I mean that's neither bad or good, each place has its own personality.  But the thread construction advisors are really something here.  

I am not worried about anything you are doing. I am providing constructive criticism about what makes a good topic, will get good responses, etc. 
Oh I know......I see it.. Still haven't answered the question.. I know what you dig...and that's fine.  If you like being the board construction adviser, then that's probably  a good role for you.  If something pops up that needs clarification on how it is written, or what's contained in it, you are the guy to go to!

Oh I know......I see it.. Still haven't answered the question.. I know what you dig...and that's fine.  If you like being the board construction adviser, then that's probably  a good role for you.  If something pops up that needs clarification on how it is written, or what's contained in it, you are the guy to go to!
I've never seen his art. 

I really appreciate your firsthand enjoyment of Kaufman, I certainly found him an inspiration. But I just found Carrey's performance overly mannered, so self-consciously obviously acting. I don't know if it was fault or the writing or the directing, but I also know I'd always tip my cap to you in terms of discussing such things. I don't know, I just can't get my head into that movie.
but that was Andy - Kaufman was imitating himself as a kid imitating everyone on TV. both Andy AND Carrey's performances were entirely not-get-intoable, a deconstruction of a deconstruction. it's entirely disposable - i wouldnt give a 2nd thought about just waving it away.  but i connected to the connection with the connection

The title "Dumb and Dumber" fits.  It was totally stupid and unfunny and a waste of time.
I'm sure there are a few others in the world that share your opinion, can't say I know any of them or ever care to know them.  I've got a pretty good sense of humor so I found it funny.  I thought is was awesome when I was a kid and it still holds up for me now.

If you can't laugh at the scene with Harry blowing up the toilet then you're dead inside.

Users who are viewing this thread