What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Molecules of US freedom (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy
I thought that this was an onion article.  

Nope.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesellsmoor/2019/05/30/trump-administration-rebrands-carbon-dioxide-as-molecules-of-u-s-freedom/amp/

https://www.energy.gov/articles/department-energy-authorizes-additional-lng-exports-freeport-lng

“Increasing export capacity from the Freeport LNG project is critical to spreading freedom gas throughout the world by giving America’s allies a diverse and affordable source of clean energy. Further, more exports of U.S. LNG to the world means more U.S. jobs and more domestic economic growth and cleaner air here at home and around the globe,” said U.S. Under Secretary of Energy Mark W. Menezes.

“I am pleased that the Department of Energy is doing what it can to promote an efficient regulatory system that allows for molecules of U.S. freedom to be exported to the world,” said Assistant Secretary for Fossil Energy Steven Winberg, who signed the export order.

• Sad
Reactions: Ned
I cannot imagine the chain of stupidity necessary to have this in an actual US government press release.  There's no way that this was just one or two people writing this without anyone else signing off on it.  This is a separate, policy-agnostic level of embarrassment for the country.  I'm dumb founded that this much dumb has been found.  

Those members of the government trading their integrity for the support of the president's followers have been giving away molecules of our freedom for the last two years. Eventually, they'll see that molecules add up.

I’m so using this next time I have to fart around the wife and kids.

”Don’t worry - that’s just my Freedom gas.  Enjoy.”

:mellow:  

I’m currently abroad...
Fortunately most folks are fairly generous in understanding that individuals are not answerable for their government.  That said, conversations do come up and this Administration, well it is just beyond embarrassing.  The world is a more dangerous and uncertain place when one has an inexperienced egomaniac narcissist who quite badly overestimates his own intelligence at the helm of a nuclear superpower and a driving economic force. Folks from other nations are naturally curious and incredulous about this and politeness is sometimes pushed aside in conversations by sure incredulity.  It makes it difficult to move beyond to other topics of conversation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately most folks are fairly generous in understanding that individuals are not answerable for their government.  That said, conversations do come up and this Administration, well it is just beyond embarrassing.  The world is a more dangerous and uncertain place when one has an inexperienced egomaniac narcissist who quite badly overestimates his own intelligence at the helm of a nuclear superpower and a driving economic force. Folks from other nations are naturally curious and incredulous about this and politeness is sometimes pushed aside in conversations by sure incredulity.  It makes it difficult to move beyond to other topics of conversation.
Trump is a middle finger to the US elite and the world by the rust belt and flyover country.  Shove Hillary along with abortion and legalized marijuana and transgender normalization all at the same time as economic struggles and you get Trump.  They hate Hollywood and Wall Street and felt marginalized.  Messages about how much better Europe is or that they are simply ignorant hicks aren't exactly going to help either.  They love their families and work their asses off.

We better get our #### together by next election or it will happen again.  I live among these people and they are loving the chaos they have caused.  They are not upset at all by his insanity and the damage on the world stage because their lives are so regional.  They don't venture outside of their bubbles very often and Fox News is the only source of information.

Trump is a middle finger to the US elite and the world by the rust belt and flyover country.  Shove Hillary along with abortion and legalized marijuana and transgender normalization all at the same time as economic struggles and you get Trump.  They hate Hollywood and Wall Street and felt marginalized.  Messages about how much better Europe is or that they are simply ignorant hicks aren't exactly going to help either.  They love their families and work their asses off.

We better get our #### together by next election or it will happen again.  I live among these people and they are loving the chaos they have caused.  They are not upset at all by his insanity and the damage on the world stage because their lives are so regional.  They don't venture outside of their bubbles very often and Fox News is the only source of information.
by "get our #### together", you mean what?

Nominate someone who doesn't suck and acknowledge that people living in places not on the coast matter.
I agree with the first part.  I'm not sure the second part matters.  Those people are grasping to conserve a world that doesn't exist anymore.  Society is done placating to the white Christian male.  Society wants common sense gun laws.  Society thinks global warming is an issue that needs to be addressed.  Society isn't afraid of homosexuals getting married.  The manufacturing jobs they want back have been replaced by automation and nationalism isn't going to bring them back.  Sure, we can help address economic issues that affect all citizens, but social evolution is leaving a lot of the other values they're trying to 'conserve' in the dust.  

Nominate someone who doesn't suck and acknowledge that people living in places not on the coast matter.
We really need to set up a electoral system that doesn't allow the less population areas in the middle of this country control politics...

You're going to vote for him, too.

We really need to set up a electoral system that doesn't allow the less population areas in the middle of this country control politics...
If we didn't have a system that gave small groups a voice, we would never be where we are today.  Can't change the rules now that the tables have turned.

I agree with the first part.  I'm not sure the second part matters.  Those people are grasping to conserve a world that doesn't exist anymore.  Society is done placating to the white Christian male.  Society wants common sense gun laws.  Society thinks global warming is an issue that needs to be addressed.  Society isn't afraid of homosexuals getting married.  The manufacturing jobs they want back have been replaced by automation and nationalism isn't going to bring them back.  Sure, we can help address economic issues that affect all citizens, but social evolution is leaving a lot of the other values they're trying to 'conserve' in the dust.
Not placating is not the same as mocking.  I don't think giving in on every issue is needed, but be much less insulting about it.

And that world does indeed still exist.  It is their home towns.

I think Jayrod makes a really good point. The overreach of the coastal elites, both economically and in the culture wars, led to Trump's ascent. By economic overreach, I mean rising economic inequality mixed with a sort of corporate fascism that benefits the coasts. By culture war overreach, just read Twitter about LGBTQ, especially the T with respect to transitioning and simple identity. 

It's also, unlike some would point out, reasonable to notice this and still not support Donald Trump. These things should be easy to understand. But apparently they're still not to some people. 

I get your overall point and agree with quite a bit of it, but honestly have 0 clue what to do about people to which the bolded is true.  

Also, to be honest, Jayrod- how many of these people you describe are 2 maybe 3 topic voters?   I live in small town WI.  Besides 30min away in Madison I live around people you describe, and it's majority about abortion and guns (now with a bit of immigration mixed in)  

Just saying I dont see many of these people moving off their heavy R lean and would vote Trump again because of those two issues.   

Not placating is not the same as mocking.  I don't think giving in on every issue is needed, but be much less insulting about it.

And that world does indeed still exist.  It is their home towns.
While I mostly think you are accurate in your assessment of why Trump got the party nod over some of the traditional GOP nominees, it still is mind-blowing.  They were mad at coastal elites so they voted for a New York City Real Estate billionaire who attended Wharton and sells himself as the most elite wealthy person on Earth. They are mad about getting mocked by people in the cities and the media so they elect a guy who has been a National running joke for 25 years? It is all so irrational. It's also one of the reasons Trump is one of the worst things to happen to this country in a while. We really do need an outsider who can shake up the system, link some conservative and liberal values to battle economic inequality, protect workers/consumers from too powerful corporations, protect our resources, actually drain the swamp, etc. Instead of finding that real solution, we chose a known conman and entertainer so we could all have could have a good laugh. 

If we didn't have a system that gave small groups a voice, we would never be where we are today.  Can't change the rules now that the tables have turned.
Why not?  It's a democracy and everyone's vote should be equal...that's how it works.

killface said:
Why not?  It's a democracy and everyone's vote should be equal...that's how it works.
We are a representative democracy with federalism as a founding value so it would require significant changes to the core values of our government to move to a pure popular vote. I am not saying it's right or wrong, just that it isn't at all how it has ever worked. 

FBGs:  At school today, my son got up in front of the class and, instead of reading his book report, ripped a giant fart and sat back down.  I was incredibly disappointed and told him that he embarrassed himself and his family.  

Supermike80:  Why do you hate your son?
May want to have him tested.

We are a representative democracy with federalism as a founding value so it would require significant changes to the core values of our government to move to a pure popular vote. I am not saying it's right or wrong, just that it isn't at all how it has ever worked. 
I understand the concept for sure...no argument there.

I'm just wondering if there is ever a threshold for people that support the current system.  Say 50 years from now 90% of the population lives in 4 states.  

I'm just wondering if there is ever a threshold for people that support the current system.  Say 50 years from now 90% of the population lives in 4 states.  
There certainly has to be some kind of breaking point but I am not sure what it would be. Some interesting rough math:

In 1790 when we took our first census and devised our set-up, the highest 2 States had 19% and 11% of the population. The lowest 2 States both had 1.5%. The median was 5%.

In 2010, our latest numbers show the highest 2 States at 11% and 8%. The lowest is 0.18%. The median is 1.5%. 

There certainly has to be some kind of breaking point but I am not sure what it would be. Some interesting rough math:

In 1790 when we took our first census and devised our set-up, the highest 2 States had 19% and 11% of the population. The lowest 2 States both had 1.5%. The median was 5%.

In 2010, our latest numbers show the highest 2 States at 11% and 8%. The lowest is 0.18%. The median is 1.5%. 

Seems to me the first step in solving this issue is to expand the House. We need A LOT more representatives. And, of course, the corresponding electoral votes.

roadkill1292 said:
If we're not going to abolish the US Senate, the states should look something like this.

But we should be trying to talk the Xs, the Millennials, the Zs and the Alphas into ditching the Senate. States are anachronisms.
I'm just an idea guy, so I don't know exactly how to carry this out, but if Democrats want to get serious about matters I think they need to come up with a plan to colonize red states.  Build out a robust internet service in select towns and attract hordes of technology workers who can work remotely; and maybe target Wyoming and Montana because of their small populations.  Or maybe build a city from the ground up and call it Portlandia just to get the surrounding constituencies worked up.

Beer#2!!

Users who are viewing this thread