What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Al Pacino's signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature role?

• Bobby - Panic in needle park

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael Corleone - Godfather trilogy

Votes: 97 50.3%
  • Seprico - Serpico

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Sonny - Dog Day Afternoon

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Bobby - Bobby Deerfield

• Arthur - And Justice fir all

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Tony Montana - Scarface

Votes: 75 38.9%
  • Det Frank Keller -Sea of Love

• Big Boy - **** Tracey

• Ricky - Glengarry Glen Ross

• Frank - Scent of a Woman

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Vincent - Heat

• John Milton - The Devils Advocate

• Tony - Any Given Sunday

• Other

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
Maybe should have been Tony, but I hate that movie outside of the comedy value so much I couldn't vote for it.
this x infinity. 

though i cast the (thus far) lone vote for Richard Roma 'cuz Glengarry ####### owns me - my favorite flick of all-time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough call, but it's between Scent of a Woman and Scarface for me where he was the movie (unlike Godfather).  Rolling with Scarface because of how iconic it is.  

Also really liked him the kinda scarface sequel by de Palma as carlito brigante
which he was so low key in ... put the HAM on the shelf, and was chewed up by Penn in every scene - great flick, understated Al ... i much prefer it over "Scarface", and it ain't even close. 

Pavlo Hummel

I had the great good fortune to see him in The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel onstage in Boston, just as Godfather was coming out. He played half-squirrelbaby and half-YOURALLOUTOFORDER!! throughout and everyone was mesmerized. Next to Zero as Tevya, my greatest theater experience.

Voted Tony Montana.  That is what pops into my mind first when I think of Al Pacino.  

But I also agree with this...

Scarface because of the movie that it is.  But his own best acting job was in Scent of a Woman
I am probably one of the few who also loved his role as John Milton, but I would never call this his "signature".

Scarface was a great movie, and in fact, I like/love many of the movies on this list though Donnie Brascoe and Carlito's Way are far better movies than a few on this list).  That said, if we're talking signature movies, I don't see how it can't be Michael.  Mention Pacino and in all likelihood, the first movie people think about is Godfather.  To me, that makes it his signature role. 

Maybe you can get one of those first class tickets to the resurrection........

Watch, you see that man over there, he's gonna stick his tongue out at that girl over there.  Watch.....so many great lines

I always think of Sonny and dog-day afternoon.... but godfather- sure... and especially tony montana, which I ended up going with.

I was born and raised in S. MIami. When I was in high school 1974 there were new Cubans at school everyday. Most could not speak English and there were some tough times for all. It was an era that had just smoothed over after busing had brought mixed races together. 

I could not wait for Scarface to come out and saw it opening day. My first impression of Pacino is that is the worst Cuban accent I've ever heard. I found it laughable. But then I bought a VHS and watched it many more times and grew to love it.

Whereas there is no question what the best movie(s)Pacino’s been in, I’d argue that Scarface is not even Top 5.  But the character of Tony Montana because of Pacino is indelible.

Still Corleone wins...

If you made a movie with the biggest signature roles in history Rocky and Scarface would be the 2 main characters fighting in the last climatic scene of the movie of good vs evil.

It's Michael just over Tony for signature roles for sure (partly because he played it in three terrific films), but add me to the chorus saying his best acting job is in Scent of a Woman.  He is astonishing in that movie, and it has three amazing scenes - the tango with an absolutely stunning Gabrielle Anwar, the Thanksgiving dinner, and the hotel/weapon sequence.  One of the most well-deserved Best Actor Oscars in recent history.  

otb_lifer said:
this x infinity. 

though i cast the (thus far) lone vote for Richard Roma 'cuz Glengarry ####### owns me - my favorite flick of all-time. 
I have had this sneaking suspicion -- feeling -- based upon evidentiary clues that you're secretly David Mamet, and this has done nothing to disprove my thesis.

I have had this sneaking suspicion -- feeling -- based upon evidentiary clues that you're secretly David Mamet, and this has done nothing to disprove my thesis.
well, we have never been seen in the same ####### room together, so you got that goin' for your ####### feeling - and i'll just ####### leave it at that ...

:D

His signature role is Scarface, IMHO.

I'm not a Pacino fan, though I did enjoy his turn in Any Given Sunday, which is about the only Oliver Stone film I can tolerate. 

wikkidpissah said:
Pavlo Hummel

I had the great good fortune to see him in The Basic Training of Pavlo Hummel onstage in Boston, just as Godfather was coming out. He played half-squirrelbaby and half-YOURALLOUTOFORDER!! throughout and everyone was mesmerized. Next to Zero as Tevya, my greatest theater experience.
This is fantastic, wikkid.  I can only imagine how awesome it must have been to be seeing some unknown actor as good as Al Pacino (!!!) live in a theater, not to mention tracking the dude later as he became a megaginormous success.  Top-notch stuff!  So great that you got to see Zero Mostel, too.  

This is fantastic, wikkid.  I can only imagine how awesome it must have been to be seeing some unknown actor as good as Al Pacino (!!!) live in a theater, not to mention tracking the dude later as he became a megaginormous success.  Top-notch stuff!  So great that you got to see Zero Mostel, too.  
Yeah, it was great. None of my doing, but it was great. 

It was all down to my first sweetheart, my Li'l Bardot. I was a hippie runaway from early in my junior year in HS til halfway thru my senior yr. I was in the middle of negotiating the terms for my return to school (i would not return home was the hangup) and i reconnected w my gf and her new pal, strangely enough, was a first-year English teacher in our school. You didn't hang out w your teachers but li'l Bardot did.....whatever.

The first thing we went to with her was Clockwork Orange. I remember this because it was X-rated and the only one of the four of us who got carded was our teacher (tiny Italian gal). We had a great laugh and a good time, so we started hanging out with teach & her bf (both culture vultures). They were the ones who got the Pavlo Hummel tickets. I remember i wore a suit, i almost cut my waist-length hair because it looked so stoopit w a suit, we went to a fancy restaurant in Beacon Hill and we were almost looking straight down at the stage from our seats. Everything about it was fantastic, and Pacino was "What is that?!?!" stupendous.

I was no stranger to theater, though. We had relatives in NYC and the fam went down twice a year to visit and take in some shows (me Da got the theater bug when he was stationed @ Fort Monmouth NJ during Korea and spent every wkend @ the Y in Manhattan in order to see shows). Saw all the Mames & Gypsys & such and was probably too young (8, maybe) for Da to have brought me to A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, but that's where i got the bug because i saw the Zero.

My first acid trip was not as much a revelation as my first witness of a fat ugly man not only become the most glamorous human being in the world when he performed but made me, in the cheap seats, feel like i was in the scene, in the bawdy house with him as he finagled his way in, around & thru all the bull#### of life. Magic - no other word. I of course then insisted we see Mostel in Fiddler, twice. And I used to teach the opening scene of The Producers movie -the 1000 choices Zero made to produce the ten funniest minutes in film history - to young standups who i helped get started..

Me Da and i werely barely speaking when my Dinner & Divorce play premiered at Boston's Lyric Theater five years later, but i caught a look at him as he took his seat and his giant face beamed with the wonder that had gotten me to that point. Magic.

Pacino's signature role is playing Al Pacino. I guess I'm the only one here who doesn't care for Scarface.

My favorite is Dog Day Afternoon.

Scarface is the most iconic role even if Godfather is the most iconic movie. Michael doesn't make the Godfather movies though. Tony is the whole movie in Scarface.

Pacino's signature role is playing Al Pacino. 
I think this is kind of why I voted for Tony while enjoying him more as Michael. Pacino took some element of Tony with him to so many roles that the character became synonymous with the actor. 

Loved him in Brasco

i know this is totally subjective n' all dat jazz, but ... i'd like to have a word with the "Big Boy" vote caster  :boxing:

are you ####### serious, or  :fishing:

gotta be the latter, but, still ... ungood shtick. 

Hard to see how this would ever result in votes that are NOT Godfather (given the iconic status of that movie overall and his central -- and amazingly well played -- role in it) and Scarface (ditto -- phenomenal movie and role).

I think it has to be Godfather as I believe it was only his third major film role and set the stage -- his ability, his command of presence -- that set the stage for all movies to come.

For me, though, I loved him most in Dog Day Afternoon as it showed a range he didn't necessarily have in other roles. After Frankie and Johnny, he just seemed (like many great actors) to just play it as Pacino -- including in Glengarry Glen Ross -- so I discount anything from 92 on (not taking anything away from his ability -- just his range).

The Godfather is the most overrated film of all time, I have no desire to watch it when it comes on.  

Scarface hooks me in every time...it's a masterpiece on several levels.

That's why this poll is easily Tony Montana for me.

Which character is quoted the most, even today?

Yeah, that's the winner.

Not his best film but by far his most memorable character.

Users who are viewing this thread