What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Market under Trump (1 Viewer)

Seems like it’s recovered some. Do you know why? I have not heard any reason. 

Maybe the trade deal imminent?
The afternoon turnaround came after New York Federal Reserve President John Williams said the central bank needed to “act quickly” when the economy was slowing and rates were low. “It’s better to take preventative measures than to wait for disaster to unfold, ” he said in a speech.

We are not in a bubble right now.  20 years ago the S&P 500 traded at 33 times earnings and the 10 year Treasury was at 6%.  Today the S&P 500 trades at 17.5 times earnings and the 10 year Treasury is at 2%.  Add on the Fed is likely to lower short term rates by 25 basis points in July and probably another 25 basis points this year and cash yields will be going down.  Stocks are still the best option to invest in right now.
Brutally simplistic analysis.

So what will the Fed do? As great as the economy is going there’s no way they’d cut, right? 

I don’t really understand why Trump is begging them to. 

So what will the Fed do? As great as the economy is going there’s no way they’d cut, right? 

I don’t really understand why Trump is begging them to. 
Everyone is expecting 1/4 but if it's anything more than that....here where it get crazy.

One would think that someone with billions in equity would want a rate INCREASE.  Particularly in "the greatest economy of all time".   The pressure Trump has been putting on the Fed to drop rates tells a different story about his financial situation. 

One would think that someone with billions in equity would want a rate INCREASE.  Particularly in "the greatest economy of all time".   The pressure Trump has been putting on the Fed to drop rates tells a different story about his financial situation. 
I don't think he has any clue about how any of this works....he doesn't know what he's asking for.  Earlier this year (or maybe last) he suggested lowering rates slowed inflation so......

Add this easing action to the increase in the deficit/debt and it would be difficult to explain that the tax cut was anything but a failure in a macro sense. Let's hope the damage can be contained. It's going to take a lot of work to fix this mess in the long term. 

ETA. Looks like Wharton isn't all that it's cracked up to be

Last edited by a moderator:
We're in an era of low global rates, and US debt is still desirable. The risk of inflation is low and it's better to act early than late. This helps reduce the interest on the ever-growing deficit.

Some of the negative consequences of low rates are risky yield chasing and low yields for things like pension funds, retirees savings account and the social security trust fund.

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/07/31/the-giant-sucking-sound-of-financial-repression/

We're in an era of low global rates, and US debt is still desirable. The risk of inflation is low and it's better to act early than late. This helps reduce the interest on the ever-growing deficit.

Some of the negative consequences of low rates are risky yield chasing and low yields for things like pension funds, retirees savings account and the social security trust fund.

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/07/31/the-giant-sucking-sound-of-financial-repression/
Plus the dollar has been rising. Which would be awesome for vacationing overseas. Of course even I would be too embarrassed to do that.  This coming from a guy that let his wife's coworkers put temporary tattoos all over his fanny while he was knocked out for a colonoscopy. 

So are we now in the "quantitative easing" portion of the program in the strongest economy ever seen by man????  I can't wait to hear that talking point.  Those that were pissed at the Fed during Obama years for low rates have got to be beyond pissed with the Fed this time :lmao:  
Commish - even you have to admit that Republican hypocrisy on the debt/deficit so shortly after the Tea Party years is beyond anything you've ever seen on the Democratic side, right? 

Plus the dollar has been rising. Which would be awesome for vacationing overseas. Of course even I would be too embarrassed to do that.  This coming from a guy that let his wife's coworkers put temporary tattoos all over his fanny while he was knocked out for a colonoscopy. 
What choice did you have?

😜

And, you know, having no tools left in the toolkit to address an economic slowdown or tightening of credit. 

It is amazes me that Trump is too dumb (stupid} to realize lashing out at the Fed is one reason rates are as high as they are.  The Fed isn't going to let Trump walk all over their independence and likely rose rates in December just to prove that point.  He also replaced Yellen with a less dovish chair and continues to nominate monetary crackpots to the Board of Governors.  

Commish - even you have to admit that Republican hypocrisy on the debt/deficit so shortly after the Tea Party years is beyond anything you've ever seen on the Democratic side, right? 
The politicians are what they are.  That's not all that entertaining to me.  Hypocrisy of the positions is nothing new.  What's entertaining is GOP leadership having the rocks they typically hide behind removed by Trump and the talking points by their supporters erased by the people they voted into office and Trump.  It's been comedy gold.  There was a time they talked the talk...now they can't even do that.  Well, I guess they can try, but it's hilarious to watch.  You need to check out the tax cuts thread.

It is amazes me that Trump is too dumb (stupid} to realize lashing out at the Fed is one reason rates are as high as they are.  The Fed isn't going to let Trump walk all over their independence and likely rose rates in December just to prove that point.  He also replaced Yellen with a less dovish chair and continues to nominate monetary crackpots to the Board of Governors.  
I think this is a big reason why Powell was so adamant about this cut not necessarily signaling future cuts - can’t make it seem like he’s caving to Trump. Hard to make a lifelong bully realize that bullying is counterproductive here.

So, Noonan and Birds?

Doubt it, their heads are in the sand and Donald and co. can do no wrong. 
If you mean head in the sand enjoying my 20% return in my 401K YTD sure.   :coffee:

You can only say This is It! so many times before people realize you have no idea what you are talking about.

Don’t be silly. It began some time ago. This is just a wake up call to everyone who didn’t see it. 
As I've been saying for almost at least a year now a prolonged downturn or correction close to the election will be the end of Trump.  That would turn his supporters more than seeing W2s for hundreds of millions from V. Putin Inc. 

If you mean head in the sand enjoying my 20% return in my 401K YTD sure.   :coffee:

You can only say This is It! so many times before people realize you have no idea what you are talking about.
Well I didn’t say that. I said it’s the beginning. Good chance it takes awhile to happen and they’ll probably cut rates a few more times too to try and delay it. 

I will admit to thinking last fall was “it” and it probably should’ve been but Mnuchin said what was needed at the time to somehow save it. 

The stuff they’re doing is not going to keep working forever though. 

He's  been wrong for years and is the guy that will come out of the woodwork when a downturn happens and say "told you so!" . :lmao:

I called it on what he was long ago, LHucks but worse. 

A recession generally doesn’t begin (certainly isn’t confirmed) until quite some time after leading indicators start showing what’s happening. Not days later, rather it’s months or years. But you know that. 

The 1-yr is about 9%, which still isn’t bad, but most of the Trump people cheerleading the stock market to cover up deplorable behavior conveniently leave out 12/18
9% would be great returns for you. Dow was at 25333 last year, 26864 today.  That’s about 6%. 

The Dow is down since October 3, 2018. Let’s all stop acting like gambling addicts who only count the wins, not the losses. 
Not sure if you are serious.  The usual suspects jumped in this thread today ONLY because of the drop in the market.  I pointed out my 401K to the resident Chicken Little who called me out.  There are many of you guys who hate Trump so much that you appear to be rooting for a market drop or recession because they think it will hurt Trump.  Not a good look IMO.

A recession generally doesn’t begin (certainly isn’t confirmed) until quite some time after leading indicators start showing what’s happening. Not days later, rather it’s months or years. But you know that. 
Of course, but let's not act like all leading indicators are pointing in one direction right now.  There is a reason economists are not in agreement right now on when the next recession will be.  Put me in the camp for 2021 or beyond.

Users who are viewing this thread