What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Market under Trump (1 Viewer)

They scatter and hide on up days. It’s great. 
His whole plan is to time the market by being ultra conservative now with Trump as president and jump back in when the market recovers from a certain (in his opinion) crash.  We'd have to see where our portfolios mapped out after all that happens with dividends etc., and all that is dependent on how bad the crash is and how fast it recovers to a set end date.  2022 now I guess, or is that when he's jumping back in?  Regardless, two days time period during which any of that happens is completely meaningless.  He was either trolling for Trump supporters or has no clue on what he is doing, or both.

ETA: It reads as if he's sticking to "conservative bonds" until 2022.  If their dreams come true that's probably after the market recovers.  :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job today. Way to say words and take actions that make things worse than had you just said and done nothing. Go away already, most of us are working hard to retire, and because we’ve all been told we need to save and invest with our 401ks, you are making it harder for us to do so. 

Did everyone who has their 401k’s invested in the market check on them since the close yesterday?

Any updates?

Good job today. Way to say words and take actions that make things worse than had you just said and done nothing. Go away already, most of us are working hard to retire, and because we’ve all been told we need to save and invest with our 401ks, you are making it harder for us to do so. 
Seriously. If the economy hits a recession, it is likely going to get really ugly for the President. Remember how everyone turned on Bush? And Bush was a decent guy who had at one time the highest approval rating in recent memory (the post 9/11 bump). I don't think Trump's act will play well even with his base if the economy takes a beating. He just has no aptitude for this position and needs go away ASAP. The Federal Govt. with him running it is basically broken. 

Seriously. If the economy hits a recession, it is likely going to get really ugly for the President. Remember how everyone turned on Bush? And Bush was a decent guy who had at one time the highest approval rating in recent memory (the post 9/11 bump). I don't think Trump's act will play well even with his base if the economy takes a beating. He just has no aptitude for this position and needs go away ASAP. The Federal Govt. with him running it is basically broken. 
Seems like he's got everything under control.  Posturing that he can force American companies to leave China just prior to the G7 meetings seems like a logical, calculated approach to this complex problem.  I don't know what changed, but he seems to be listening to reason now...thank goodness!!

I don't think Trump's act will play well even with his base if the economy takes a beating.
:lol:   they (and Trump himself) will blame everyone but Trump. 

the only thing that doesn't play well with his base is letting brown people come into the country

:lol:   they (and Trump himself) will blame everyone but Trump. 

the only thing that doesn't play well with his base is letting brown people come into the country
And they’re excited about Ginsburg possibly dying. Take a look at Free Republic today, if you can stomach it: they’re positively giddy with anticipation. It’s pretty sick. 

timschochet said:
And they’re excited about Ginsburg possibly dying. Take a look at Free Republic today, if you can stomach it: they’re positively giddy with anticipation. It’s pretty sick. 
Completely on topic.

Bravo.

Sheesh

Ilov80s said:
DJT loses the next election by a large margin, regardless.

timschochet said:
You need to quit confusing the posts of a few whack jobs on the net for the mass of folks you're projecting them to be.  

Personally I'm pretty impressed - RBG is one tough old lady.

I watched some of CNBC coverage on Friday and saw some tweets over the weekend and this time feels different. I think the financial media may be turning on him. Feeling like enough is enough. 

I watched some of CNBC coverage on Friday and saw some tweets over the weekend and this time feels different. I think the financial media may be turning on him. Feeling like enough is enough. 
From the Friday WSJ - the OpEd board itself - the jig is up:

Just Another Manic Friday

Trump and Xi see who can take the most trade pain. Everyone loses.

The trouble with trade wars, like shooting wars, is that once they start you never know how they’re going to end. The enemy gets a vote, and sometimes events escalate in ugly fashion (see cartoon above). Take Friday, which saw China retaliate for Donald Trump ’s recent tariffs, Mr. Trump blow a gasket, markets tank, and Mr. Trump impose even more tariffs.

Stocks took that news in stride. They then rose modestly after Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said in his annual Jackson Hole remarks that the central bank would “act as appropriate to sustain the expansion.” But then Mr. Trump began tweeting like a bull in a china shop. “My only question is, who is our bigger enemy, Jay Powell or Chairman Xi?” he tweeted, as if Mr. Powell isn’t a patriot. “We don’t need China and, frankly, would be far better off without them. Our great American companies are hereby ordered to immediately start looking for an alternative to China, including bringing your companies HOME.”

Order? Somebody should tell Chairman Trump this isn’t the People’s Republic of America. U.S. businesses have been trying to shift production out of China to avoid tariffs, but supply chains that have been developed over decades can’t be uprooted overnight. And no other country has China’s huge relatively skilled workforce, infrastructure and network of suppliers.

U.S. motor vehicle jobs have declined by 16,000 this year amid a slowdown in domestic sales. Tesla, BMW and Daimler plants in the U.S. that export luxury cars to China will get whacked with tariffs come December. Farmers who have been bearing the tariff brunt will receive another dose of pain in September.

What was that again about trade wars being easy to win?

The jig will continue.  “Another Supreme Court appointment is on the line.  We have to keep the maniac in office!  “
The WSJ oped board had a bit of a coup in 2016 or so and it's been slavishly pro-Trump since. That oped is something for them. Having said that, yeah trading principle for power has been the rule with the GOP and its arms, the only caveat I'll add is we haven't seen yet if they're willing to make the same bargain when it comes to $$$$ for power.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Conservative media, when you DON'T see/hear any "Buy Gold" commercials... the economy is on shaky grounds.

On Conservative media, when you DO see/hear any "The Economy is doing great" commercials... the economy is on shaky grounds.

On Conservative media, when you DO see/hear any "My Pillow" commercials... well, don't buy those.

On Conservative media, when you DON'T see/hear any "Buy Gold" commercials... the economy is on shaky grounds.

On Conservative media, when you DO see/hear any "The Economy is doing great" commercials... the economy is on shaky grounds.

On Conservative media, when you DO see/hear any "My Pillow" commercials... well, don't buy those.
Based on hourly William Devane sightings, I'd say I can afford some new pillows...

😜

Lindsay Graham said "we should accept the pain," of Trump's trade war.

Is he willing to accept any pain by leaving his job so the American people don't have to pay him anymore? C'mon, South Carolina.

If you look at the historical VIX trend we're nowhere near extreme.  If anything the last few years have been way below normal.  People have short memories.
VIX index is forward looking.  It tries to guess how volatile the market's going to be (used to be in the next 30 days....not sure about now).  I don't disagree that the month of August is historically one of the more volatile months and tough to predict, but it didn't seem like that was Z's point.  This is why I asked in what sense you were talking because there is very little argument against the quantity of volatility we are actually experiencing that is directly linked to this President's words.  That is pretty much unprecedented.  

I wonder how long Corporate CEOs will remain silent.  This inanity will last until they turn on him in mass (and why Trump was always playing a losing hand...CEOs who are a quarter reporting cycle will scream uncle long before China will).

I wonder how long Corporate CEOs will remain silent.  This inanity will last until they turn on him in mass (and why Trump was always playing a losing hand...CEOs who are a quarter reporting cycle will scream uncle long before China will).
Hey, this is just normal volatility. Didn't you know. This is a stable economy.

Hey, this is just normal volatility. Didn't you know. This is a stable economy.
Well as Tim Cook showed last weekend they can still make Trump feel special and get what they need (in the short term).  At some point that isn’t a viable strategy anymore.

S&P 500 Futures Slide as Traders Struggle to Price In Trade War

Equity futures tumbled as trading resumed Sunday, with investors struggling with the increasingly complex task of assessing the impact of a trade war on the economy and corporate profits.

September contracts on the S&P 500 fell 1.2% as of 6:53 p.m. in New York, while futures on the Nasdaq 100 dropped 1.5%. The swings followed a sell-off on Friday that sent benchmark gauges to their third 2%-plus plunge of August, now likely to be the second down month for equities of 2019.

To anyone who knows anything about Game Theory and basic strategy, Trump's policies are especially maddening. The notion of a win-win scenario is not even in his vocabulary.
Doesnt trump explicitly say that?  You are not winning unless you opponent is hurting.

Not directly, but it’s certainly worth considering that as a major factor. 
When we are the only light in the dark (credit to current policies if you hold him responsible due to same policies) and that light flickers you can't just blame the flicker without looking at all the snuffed out lights along the way.  Japan is an economic wasteland.  BRIC are all fiscal messes, particularly the first two.  Europe is in such a deflationary cycle that the German 30 year (30!) Is negative.  

The Twitter rhetoric is incredibly clumsy and harmful.  But it is far from the root cause or the main driver of this collapse of U.S. Long bonds. Minor contributing factor at best. Let's not forget that previous recessions were characterized by the short side climbing past the long side; this has been the opposite.  The causes and symptoms of this inversion are different than previous.  Well see if they end up with the same result.

When we are the only light in the dark (credit to current policies if you hold him responsible due to same policies) and that light flickers you can't just blame the flicker without looking at all the snuffed out lights along the way.  Japan is an economic wasteland.  BRIC are all fiscal messes, particularly the first two.  Europe is in such a deflationary cycle that the German 30 year (30!) Is negative.  

The Twitter rhetoric is incredibly clumsy and harmful.  But it is far from the root cause or the main driver of this collapse of U.S. Long bonds. Minor contributing factor at best. Let's not forget that previous recessions were characterized by the short side climbing past the long side; this has been the opposite.  The causes and symptoms of this inversion are different than previous.  Well see if they end up with the same result.
There’s no question the causes are different.  I don’t think anyone’s arguing that. 

Users who are viewing this thread