What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Market under Trump (2 Viewers)

Oh...perhaps specific ones may have turned negative for the first time ever.  I'd need to look.  "Treasury Yields" have frequently turned negative over the course of time though.
OK. I really don’t care about first time or not. I just want to know how bad it is. 

Well, wasn't what I thought it would be today, but that's two days in a row at least.  Yesterday is hard to top.

O/U on initial claims tomorrow?  I'm setting 2.75mm my guess.
I’m sure I can Google this, but I wonder how many of the laid off service industry workers from the most affected, like restaurants and whatnot, moved right over to grocery stores and other places that needed to hire a ton of people immediately, and when we’ll know that.

Thought I'd cross post from the bill thread...

Does anyone have a link to the bill?  We've been given the 10,000 level changes that are supposed to be in the bill as it pertains to retirement accounts and access to them.  If true, I fear a rather large impact to the markets.  Just one of the first things we were told were removal of 10% penalty AND deferred payback anywhere from 1-3 years (conflicting reports on timeline).  Anyone know when the gov't is supposed to start cutting checks?

What means this?

(also, if it means: "time to put my TSP/401k back in stocks," just LMK tx).
The Dow Jones industrial average is the total share price of 30 of the biggest stocks that span many industries. 

THE DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE

Company NameStock Ticker

3MMMM

American ExpressAXP

AppleAAPL

BoeingBA

CaterpillarCAT

ChevronCVX

CiscoCSCO

Coca-ColaKO

DowDuPont Inc.DWDP

Exxon MobilXOM

Goldman SachsGS

Home DepotHD

IBMIBM

IntelINTC

Johnson & JohnsonJNJ

JPMorgan ChaseJPM

McDonald'sMCD

MerckMRK

MicrosoftMSFT

NikeNKE

PfizerPFE

Procter & GamblePG

Travelers Companies Inc.TRV

United HealthUNH

United TechnologiesUTX

VerizonVZ

VisaV

WalmartWMT

Walgreens Boots AllianceWBA

Walt DisneyDIS
The total price to buy these 30 companies outright would be approximately 6 trillion dollars based on the current price of their stock shares.  

Congress just authorized the spending of 3 trillion dollars, and the total value of the Dow 30 has gone up about 5 percent today - or about 300 billion dollars.  

The Dow Jones industrial average is the total share price of 30 of the biggest stocks that span many industries. 

Reveal hidden contents
THE DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE

Company NameStock Ticker

3MMMM

American ExpressAXP

AppleAAPL

BoeingBA

CaterpillarCAT

ChevronCVX

CiscoCSCO

Coca-ColaKO

DowDuPont Inc.DWDP

Exxon MobilXOM

Goldman SachsGS

Home DepotHD

IBMIBM

IntelINTC

Johnson & JohnsonJNJ

JPMorgan ChaseJPM

McDonald'sMCD

MerckMRK

MicrosoftMSFT

NikeNKE

PfizerPFE

Procter & GamblePG

Travelers Companies Inc.TRV

United HealthUNH

United TechnologiesUTX

VerizonVZ

VisaV

WalmartWMT

Walgreens Boots AllianceWBA

Walt DisneyDIS
The total price to buy these 30 companies outright would be approximately 6 trillion dollars based on the current price of their stock shares.  

Congress just authorized the spending of 3 trillion dollars, and the total value of the Dow 30 has gone up about 5 percent today - or about 300 billion dollars.  
I hate to be the big fat idiot here.  But I interpret what you say as either of two things (possibly more):  1) "the whole shabang is worth 6 trillion, and the government just dumped 3 trillion -- HALF of the worth of the whole thing -- into the market.  So the market is probably going up on the short term (say 6-12 months)."  2) well, I don't really know what the other way to interpret it is. I thought I did a second ago, but maybe I don't.

Let's get back to Jan 1st levels before we get too excited. Dow still down about 20% this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best three day stock rally since 1931!  Trump might have the markets roaring again sooner then later.
Is that really that impressive when we consider the crash it had?  If things were where they were before then it would incredibly impressive but now it just feels like, meh, still has a ways to go.

I hate to be the big fat idiot here.  But I interpret what you say as either of two things (possibly more):  1) "the whole shabang is worth 6 trillion, and the government just dumped 3 trillion -- HALF of the worth of the whole thing -- into the market.  So the market is probably going up on the short term (say 6-12 months)."  2) well, I don't really know what the other way to interpret it is. I thought I did a second ago, but maybe I don't.
This is way oversimplistic but it's not great when your $6 trillion car needs $3 trillion worth of work just to get it back up and running.  

:lmao:

He'll be as responsible for the "roaring again" as he was for them tanking in the first place.  You guys crack me up.  You're not even trying to hide it anymore.
hmm.  I don't think Trump was responsible for the CV and to be honest, the market is dong better than I thought given the circumstances.
glad you had a change of heart :thumbup:  

Oh, and I said nothing about the CV...was talking about the markets.  It's pretty simple, the markets went in the pooper because of the uncertainty of the CV, when the markets feel the CV is under control or beginning to be under control, they'll begin to bounce back.  See how Trump isn't part of either side of that equation?

The Commish said:

Oh, and I said nothing about the CV...was talking about the markets.  It's pretty simple, the markets went in the pooper because of the uncertainty of the CV, when the markets feel the CV is under control or beginning to be under control, they'll begin to bounce back.  See how Trump isn't part of either side of that equation?
The unlimited money pouring in probably had something to do with the markets.

My guess is the market will be okay by the time of the election but unemployment will be a whole lot higher than it was.   Its not just going to be small businesses that result in job loss.  Big companies that are able to navigate this will be laying off as well and once they cut they will be slow to rehire.  

Not sure if it's been discussed, and haven't seen much of this in the past (maybe just oblivious to it), but companies are giving everyone pay cuts in the name of reducing layoffs and not matching 401's, etc.

Anyone in a company doing this?

My guess is the market will be okay by the time of the election but unemployment will be a whole lot higher than it was.   Its not just going to be small businesses that result in job loss.  Big companies that are able to navigate this will be laying off as well and once they cut they will be slow to rehire.  
I'm not as optimistic as some of these economic forecasts that have the US economy bouncing back quickly in Q3 and Q4, but, even if it does, I agree that unemployment will be pretty high later this year. Not sure what that means for 401K's though.

apalmer said:
Or maybe not.
It's pretty amazing how a 900 point loss barely raises an eyebrow. 

I am looking for that day, or period of time, hopefully in April, where the number of new cases begin to decline. I'm sure those will be strong days for the market, but not so sure we won't see ourselves having plenty of rough days in the coming weeks with more unemployement.

One question for all - will the new economic package result in those weekly unemployment numbers stabilizing or should we continue to see large numbers added? If so, why is that happening if this was one of the goals of the bill?

The Commish said:

Uncertainty is definitely driving the markets as the virus shut down the economy. 

:lmao:

He'll be as responsible for the "roaring again" as he was for them tanking in the first place.  You guys crack me up.  You're not even trying to hide it anymore.
Is it safe to assume that you blame Trump for the federal response for this, and thus, the uncertainty?

Not sure if it's been discussed, and haven't seen much of this in the past (maybe just oblivious to it), but companies are giving everyone pay cuts in the name of reducing layoffs and not matching 401's, etc.

Anyone in a company doing this?
No, but I'm hearing from people that are having this happen.  Not sure how much of this is priced in to the current state of the market as the focus has been more on the unemployment number.  Feel like we are going to go a lot lower in the short term.

Setting a great example in here.......guess it's ok for you to  :fishing:  as staff but if others do it they get suspended? Echo chamber at its best. 
What the hell?  There wasn't anybody, anybody cheering it on like he suggests. Ive been suspended for waaaaay less.  Unbelievable. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it safe to assume that you blame Trump for the federal response for this, and thus, the uncertainty?
Trump's largest contribution to uncertainty is his endless incoherent babble at the press conferences and his tweeting that is 180 degree opposite of what everyone else in the world is seeing with their own eyes.  It leaves the markets thinking "WTF is this guy looking at?" and instills virtually zero confidence which then leads the markets to be unsure of where this ship is headed.

Trump's largest contribution to uncertainty is his endless incoherent babble at the press conferences and his tweeting that is 180 degree opposite of what everyone else in the world is seeing with their own eyes.  It leaves the markets thinking "WTF is this guy looking at?" and instills virtually zero confidence which then leads the markets to be unsure of where this ship is headed.
Crazy, isn’t it? The one thing Trump is supposed to be good at (business, the economy, markets, etc.) he’s actually so incompetent that he actually hurts us there too. 

This was always the risk. Lots of “Fiscal conservatives” were willing to ignore the naked emperor due to the promise of large tax cuts, assuming/hoping/praying that we wouldn’t encounter a significant crisis in which competence and leadership was essential. 

They screwed us.  

Users who are viewing this thread