Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

Stock Market under Trump

Nasdaq sets all time record high.  Not since the covid high, all time. :thumbup:

3 hours ago, tonydead said:

Nasdaq sets all time record high.  Not since the covid high, all time. :thumbup:

Yes, when the Fed pumps trillions into the stock market, this is what happens. The same folks that cared about the deficit suddenly forget that it exists. But yes, pumping trillions into the capital markets is helping the average joe. 

7 hours ago, sporthenry said:

Yes, when the Fed pumps trillions into the stock market, this is what happens. The same folks that cared about the deficit suddenly forget that it exists. But yes, pumping trillions into the capital markets is helping the average joe. 

One step closer fo retirement. :thumbup:

Posted (edited)

Eh, Trump's market is getting the exact same treatment Obama's did.

Wall Street's greed and the government's need to continually feed it are politically agnostic. 

Edited by James Daulton
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, tonydead said:

One step closer fo retirement. :thumbup:

So two steps backwards, one step forward? The entire stock market is still 7% off YTD highs. Unless you were perfectly invested in the QQQ, then you are probably down for the year especially seeing as how Trump (or his sons) were telling folks to buy in February. And the irony is that the stocks propping up the market are such stocks as AMZN, GOOGL, AAPL and FB. So am I to take it that Trump supporters have exclusive been buying AMZN stock? The cognitive dissonance is amazing. 

Listen, I don't fault Trump for the virus. His response is up for debate. But trying to spin the Fed pumping $3 Trillion into the market as some sort of win for him is beyond hilarious. 

Edited by sporthenry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sporthenry said:

So two steps backwards, one step forward? The entire stock market is still 7% off YTD highs. Unless you were perfectly invested in the QQQ, then you are probably down for the year especially seeing as how Trump (or his sons) were telling folks to buy in February. And the irony is that the stocks propping up the market are such stocks as AMZN, GOOGL, AAPL and FB. So am I to take it that Trump supporters have exclusive been buying AMZN stock? The cognitive dissonance is amazing. 

Listen, I don't fault Trump for the virus. His response is up for debate. But trying to spin the Fed pumping $3 Trillion into the market as some sort of win for him is beyond hilarious. 

I have to respectfully disagree.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sporthenry said:

I could point you to posts of mine in 2016 where I took the magoriy of my 401k and bought AMZN and GOOG?  And since have tried to diversify, still way heavy in tech. I'm not down for the year in any of my portfolios. :shrug:

Better lucky than good I guess for a dumb Trump guy who hasn't voted Republican once in my entire life. Yet. 

ETA: I didnt even mention Trump, he lives in your head.  :lol:

Edited by tonydead

32 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I could point you to posts of mine in 2016 where I took the magoriy of my 401k and bought AMZN and GOOG?  And since have tried to diversify, still way heavy in tech. I'm not down for the year in any of my portfolios. :shrug:

Better lucky than good I guess for a dumb Trump guy who hasn't voted Republican once in my entire life. Yet. 

I'd love to see you link those posts. Haven't seen you post in the stock thread. But your reputation as a Trump supporter / defender precedes you. So how do you feel about Trump attacking AMZN or GOOGL?

Not to mention, this is literally a threat about....the "Stock Market under Trump" So you can play coy if you'd like but clearly bumping it to say that an index hit all-time highs clearly means you think he deserves credit for it. 

1 minute ago, sporthenry said:

I'd love to see you link those posts. Haven't seen you post in the stock thread. But your reputation as a Trump supporter / defender precedes you. So how do you feel about Trump attacking AMZN or GOOGL?

Not to mention, this is literally a threat about....the "Stock Market under Trump" So you can play coy if you'd like but clearly bumping it to say that an index hit all-time highs clearly means you think he deserves credit for it. 

:lol:. Mind reader?   You ought to be better at this. 

25 minutes ago, sporthenry said:

Link

AMZN

AcquiredTerm.     Loss% Total Gain

2016-03-07Long.   +435.9%

2016-03-04Long.   +432.14%

2011-08-19Long.   +1,591.33%

The other 100K mentioned in that post (not amzn or goog) is up 41% since 2016.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tonydead said:

Link

AMZN

AcquiredTerm.     Loss% Total Gain

2016-03-07Long.   +435.9%

2016-03-04Long.   +432.14%

2011-08-19Long.   +1,591.33%

The other 100K mentioned in that post (not amzn or goog) is up 41% since 2016.  

I stand corrected. My other points remain 😅 but that is some good investing. Kudos.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sporthenry said:

I stand corrected. My other points remain 😅 but that is some good investing. Kudos.

I was desperate and got lucky. I dont think there is an investment adviser alive that would recommend doing what I did. But, I still think Amzn is a good bet, it's hard explaining to my wife why we shouldn't just keep buying more and more. 

Edited by tonydead

Man Tesla stock shot through the roof too. I do not own any outright (that's not in a ETF or mutual fund).  You know what would be a swing for the fence stock? Any of the lithium mining or manufacturing companies.  Theyve been way down since 2018, I'm guessing because of battery fire concerns?  But one of two things is going to happen, they find a replacement material or they figure out how to make it safer.  I'd bet on the latter because the reason lithium is so good is the same reason it can catch fire - it's highly reactive.  Maybe SQM out of Chile. Chile has the largest lithium reserve on the planet and you would need every bit of it for electric vehicles to even put a dent in gasoline.  

On 7/7/2020 at 8:45 PM, tonydead said:

FYI, the thread title is "Stock Market under Trump".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

10 hours ago, Pitchfork said:

FYI, the thread title is "Stock Market under Trump".

Now I get it. Every single post has to be about Trump. It’s 24/7 with you guys. 

:lmao:

Why would the stock market care about Trump's taxes?  WTF is going on in the world?!  :lol: 

5 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Why would the stock market care about Trump's taxes?  WTF is going on in the world?!  :lol: 

What makes you think that?  Everything I'm reading is it's because of the surge in cases of the virus halting the reopening, which makes sense.  Tech stocks are in the green.  This all has to do with the virus and news out of China.   It has nothing to do with Trump taxes.

12 minutes ago, tonydead said:

What makes you think that?  Everything I'm reading is it's because of the surge in cases of the virus halting the reopening, which makes sense.  Tech stocks are in the green.  This all has to do with the virus and news out of China.   It has nothing to do with Trump taxes.

I don't know....I guess it could be pure coincidence that they dove right when the SC made a ruling on his taxes :shrug:

They seem to be slowly coming back a bit now, but it's comical at how skiddish our "markets" seem to be these days.  And FWIW, I am fully in the camp that we are in the "confidence" portion of the market rebound.  It's only going to come "back" as we are gain confidence.  I don't think balance sheets and income statements are all that important at the moment.  So I agree with you on the primary issues being cases and impacts to reopening.  I was speaking of the abrupt dip that came right as the SC made it's ruling.

2 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I don't know....I guess it could be pure coincidence that they dove right when the SC made a ruling on his taxes :shrug:

They seem to be slowly coming back a bit now, but it's comical at how skiddish our "markets" seem to be these days.  And FWIW, I am fully in the camp that we are in the "confidence" portion of the market rebound.  It's only going to come "back" as we are gain confidence.  I don't think balance sheets and income statements are all that important at the moment.  So I agree with you on the primary issues being cases and impacts to reopening.  I was speaking of the abrupt dip that came right as the SC made it's ruling.

Coincidences happen all the time.  :lol:  But Trump!

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Coincidences happen all the time.  :lol:  But Trump!

For anyone interested in actually reading the words, I can't really see how they'd get to the bold.  Should be rather obvious by now, my views on the markets and all the various factors that go into their ups/downs to know that's not where I was going...you do you though :thumbup:  Have you seen all the nonsense out there about how the markets are tanking because of the SC ruling?  That's what I'm laughing at.  Thought that was clear.  Guess not...apologies.

But since you've apparently dug in on that, can you shed the light on what it was that made the market dip like it did?  I have some theories, but I'd like to hear yours since you're all in on the "but Trump" shtick.  ETA:  And I DO think the announcement is a minor part, but not what's being portrayed by all the financial :hophead: 

Edited by The Commish

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

For anyone interested in actually reading the words, I can't really see how they'd get to the bold.  Should be rather obvious by now, my views on the markets and all the various factors that go into their ups/downs to know that's not where I was going...you do you though :thumbup:  Have you seen all the nonsense out there about how the markets are tanking because of the SC ruling?  That's what I'm laughing at.  Thought that was clear.  Guess not...apologies.

But since you've apparently dug in on that, can you shed the light on what it was that made the market dip like it did?  I have some theories, but I'd like to hear yours since you're all in on the "but Trump" shtick.

No, not one, even googling trying to find something.  Just you.

54 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Makes sense to me

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonydead said:

No, not one, even googling trying to find something.  Just you.

Your google must be broken...let me know when it's out of the shop and we can talk about the absurdity that prompted me to come in this thread and laugh at it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

Your google must be broken...let me know when it's out of the shop and we can talk about the absurdity that prompted me to come in this thread and laugh at it.

Or you could just link/post whatever it is when I asked "what makes you think that".  Instead you went on about coincidences.  

3 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Or you could just link/post whatever it is when I asked "what makes you think that".  Instead you went on about coincidences.  

I don't know how to replay things like CNBC broadcasts or the discussions going on XM radio financial channels :shrug: Some pretty impressive "hot takes" going on in the innerwebs today.  You should check them out...good comic levity IMO

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Commish said:

My only guess is there will be a bunch of loopholes exposed that will be closed because of his taxes.

ETA

OR the documents will be so egregious that it will heavily favor a Biden win and big business won't be ( :rolleyes: ) allowed to do whatever they want anymore.

Edited by Green Balloons

2 minutes ago, Green Balloons said:

My only guess is there will be a bunch of loopholes exposed that will be closed because of his taxes.

Those wouldn't be unique to him....not a chance those get closed up ever.  Nothing but a bunch of comical hot takes...so weird and fragile we are.

I'd expect the stock market to do well for a while.  The pandemic is being used as an excuse to permanently dump employees just like Wall Street likes.  And I don't mean jobs lost because small businesses or restaurants didn't survive the shut downs (forced and effectively).

20 hours ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

I'd expect the stock market to do well for a while.  The pandemic is being used as an excuse to permanently dump employees just like Wall Street likes.  And I don't mean jobs lost because small businesses or restaurants didn't survive the shut downs (forced and effectively).

I agree.  I think COVID is a big business dream come true.  They are letting go 1000s of workers that would usually get scrutinized and nobody is really noticing.  Prepare for the top to get fatter

5 minutes ago, killface said:

I agree.  I think COVID is a big business dream come true.  They are letting go 1000s of workers that would usually get scrutinized and nobody is really noticing.  Prepare for the top to get fatter

Apparently WF is set to let go 20-30K employees....I don't know the details as I've moved on, but that's the rumor from my old colleagues.  I had sensed some changes were coming as I was considering leaving, but I didn't think that sort of thing would happen.  It appears that I got out just in time.

3 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Apparently WF is set to let go 20-30K employees....I don't know the details as I've moved on, but that's the rumor from my old colleagues.  I had sensed some changes were coming as I was considering leaving, but I didn't think that sort of thing would happen.  It appears that I got out just in time.

Not sure  if you saw this last week with good comparisons to peer firms.

21 hours ago, Bottomfeeder Sports said:

18 minutes ago, killface said:

I'm on the other side of this.  PPP runs out in two weeks and the unemployment rate is already at 11%.   We're also about to see housing crisis part 3.  

10 minutes ago, Green Balloons said:

I'm on the other side of this.  PPP runs out in two weeks and the unemployment rate is already at 11%.   We're also about to see housing crisis part 3.  

How about this scenario:

1.  PPP runs out, small business gets hurt

2.  Fed sustains Large Cap stocks through stock and bond purchases https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/29/the-fed-is-buying-some-of-the-biggest-companies-bonds-raising-questions-over-why.html

3.  National debt continues to rise (who cares?) and the government continues to cave to big business lobbyists

4.  The stock market will look like it is doing well because Small Business isn't represented in the DJIA, S&P 500, etc. and Trump can take credit for "a great economy"

5.  Large Caps buy Small caps (industry consolidation) at a discount or simply lose competition as they close

6.  Results in more monopolies (and of course, the rich get richer)

1 hour ago, Slapdash said:

Not sure  if you saw this last week with good comparisons to peer firms.

Wow...hadn't seen that.  It's funny that they mention "inefficiency" as a major factor....it's one of the driving reasons I decided to jump ship (along with the rumblings that they were going to do away with WFH privs).  My time with them was probably the most inefficient way I've ever seen an IT group run....it was unreal.  I'm not joking when I say 90ish % of my job was filling out change controls and documenting the documentation.  Then it would take months to get changes to production.  It was a sight to behold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Commish said:

Wow...hadn't seen that.  It's funny that they mention "inefficiency" as a major factor....it's one of the driving reasons I decided to jump ship (along with the rumblings that they were going to do away with WFH privs).  My time with them was probably the most inefficient way I've ever seen an IT group run....it was unreal.  I'm not joking when I say 90ish % of my job was filling out change controls and documenting the documentation.  Then it would take months to get changes to production.  It was a sight to behold.

Yeah, its pretty clear if you have worked literally anywhere else.

36 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Yeah, its pretty clear if you have worked literally anywhere else.

Well, I was like a frog in water slowly being brought up to a boil to an extent.  This switch was the first for me in my entire career that wasn't some sort of merger, but I agree 100%.  It's been quite liberating :lol: 

[GOP]

S&P 500 has erased all the losses since the pandemic began!!!!  Can't be a coincidence that this happened once the Democratic Convention started....wait, what?

[/GOP]

Do you NOW see how odd this line of thinking is?

• Like 1

Apple becomes the first public traded company to reach $2 trillion market cap today when it hit $467.77.

• Thinking 1

I've sold most of my holdings, I only hold the following and am 90% cash.

DKNG

SLV

MAR

34 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Wowza!    Are we running with the bulls again?

Yep...appears that the market thinks Biden is going win :hophead: 

On 8/20/2020 at 1:03 AM, TripItUp said:

I've sold most of my holdings, I only hold the following and am 90% cash.

DKNG

SLV

MAR

Still holding cash?  When do you start getting back in?

5 minutes ago, proteus126 said:

Still holding cash?  When do you start getting back in?

Yes, still heavily cash.   Waiting for a correction and/or more economic certainty. 

1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

Yes, still heavily cash.   Waiting for a correction and/or more economic certainty. 

Good luck.  I'm guessing you will get your chance to get back in, but you are fighting the Fed among other factors.  You might have to be patient.  But you are only 10% down so far.  Nothing major lost yet.

1 hour ago, TripItUp said:

ouch

4 hours ago, The Commish said:

Must be reacting to the prospect of Biden reversing Trump's disastourous tariffs!

1 minute ago, Slapdash said:

Must be reacting to the prospect of Biden reversing Trump's disastourous tariffs!

There's a laundry list of things it's probably reacting too....waiting for the hot takes, but they don't seem to be coming :lol: 

4 hours ago, The Commish said:

Yep..the market is not sleeping on Joe! 😁