What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

job advice (1 Viewer)

need2know

Footballguy
i have been trying to transfer within my company.  I like my company and people i work with but im a bit burned out with what i have been doing.  so im looking for new challenges etc.  Been in same spot going on 13 years.  its not terrible, just have the itch to try something different.  I  had an interview with another dept and it went well.  they are sending me an offer today.  I have not accepted it yet.  its a lateral move.  very small increase in pay.  will have to drive a couple more minutes to get there.  always risks with moving and i accept that.

my current boss is aware of the situation and has been for some time.  now that an offer is on the table they have told me they want me to stay and offered me 5K more  per year to stay in current role. 

I am not going to stay for 5K more.  10K?  maybe.  Should I try to counter back to see if I can get more? Could I try to get more money out of the other offer?   

any advice would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have been trying to transfer within my company.  I like my company and people i work with but im a bit burned out with what i have been doing/looking for new challenges etc.  Been in same spot going on 13 years.  its not terrible, just have the itch to try something different.  I  had an interview with another dept and it went well.  they are sending me an offer today.  I have not accepted it yet.  its a lateral move.  very small increase in pay.  will have to drive a couple more minutes to get there.  always risks with moving and i accept that.

my current boss is aware of the situation and has been for some time.  now that an offer is on the table they have told me they want me to stay and offered me 5K more  per year to stay in current role. 

I am not going to stay for 5K more.  10K?  maybe.  Should I try to counter back to see if I can get more? Could I try to get more money out of the other offer?   

My instinct would be to ask the other department for $5K more.

Also, if you're experiencing burnout right now, then you should prepare yourself for the possibility that the feeling won't go away at the new job.

i have been trying to transfer within my company.  I like my company and people i work with but im a bit burned out with what i have been doing/looking for new challenges etc.  Been in same spot going on 13 years.  its not terrible, just have the itch to try something different.  I  had an interview with another dept and it went well.  they are sending me an offer today.  I have not accepted it yet.  its a lateral move.  very small increase in pay.  will have to drive a couple more minutes to get there.  always risks with moving and i accept that.

You really think you're ready to handle the french fry machine?

If you aren't positive the other job is better and you're not hating life at this job, stick with the devil you know.
:thumbup:  There's something to be said for sticking with the devil you know.  Who knows you could wind up working for a sucky boss at the new position.  

If you aren't positive the other job is better and you're not hating life at this job, stick with the devil you know.
Correct, but in this case he initiated the option to change. So why bother applying and interviewing if he's scared that the "itch to try something different" will lead to a worse situation? The possibility that it'll be worse was, is and will always be there.

Correct, but in this case he initiated the option to change. So why bother applying and interviewing if he's scared that the "itch to try something different" will lead to a worse situation? The possibility that it'll be worse was, is and will always be there.
Make the move to the different opportunity.   You got a small bump in pay and get to try something new without changing companies.   

I don't have the answer for you. Best of luck with whatever you do.

Life's too short to be unhappy. Choose whichever makes you happy. You'll never lose. 

case in point: one of my co-workers got the itch to do something else after about 10 years in the same position. she got hired within the same company, different department, doing something she thought would open a new door. 

she's still transitioning from one role to the other... it's been about a month... she's not fully in the new role. 

upper management just announced that she will be reporting to a different manager than the one who hired her. she doesn't like/is unsure about the change annnnnnnnnnnnd now she's trying to back out of the new role and come back to her old job.

net result: she's most likely not going to be allowed to back out & said if she can't she'll quit and try to find a new job elsewhere.

This.  You're a FBG, so I assume $5K is a small percentage of your salary.  There is no way that an amount that small would factor into my decision-making.
Correct.  It's not that much to me.  But now that opportunity  is there to make some more I just want to maximize if possible 

need2know said:
finally got the offer today.  its actually a bit more than what i was gonna try to haggle for.  so im happy.  thanks for the replies
Counter offer higher. Might as well get more money and now is the time. Negotiate any other things you want too like new laptop, extra vacation, etc. 

So things are going well at this new spot

Had a new development that I need some feedback on.

Long story short I'm a contractor for the army.  Another contractor wants me to leave my current job and work for them doing the same exact work in the same spot basically stealing a spot from my current employer.  My government boss likes me and would rather I leave for this new contractor.  He even told me to try to get more money out of this deal.  Shady I know. 

So,  I was talking to new contractor today and  he brings up salary.   I basically asked for a 20% bump.told him I'm not leaving my current employer and burning that bridge for a small raise. Been there 15 years.   I am perfectly fine staying with my current situation and kind of feel slimy about this whole thing anyways. I'm scheduled to get an offer letter from him tomorrow supposedly but he was taken back by my request.

Any thoughts on this?  Or anyone go through something similar?

So things are going well at this new spot

Had a new development that I need some feedback on.

Long story short I'm a contractor for the army.  Another contractor wants me to leave my current job and work for them doing the same exact work in the same spot basically stealing a spot from my current employer.  My government boss likes me and would rather I leave for this new contractor.  He even told me to try to get more money out of this deal.  Shady I know. 

So,  I was talking to new contractor today and  he brings up salary.   I basically asked for a 20% bump.told him I'm not leaving my current employer and burning that bridge for a small raise. Been there 15 years.   I am perfectly fine staying with my current situation and kind of feel slimy about this whole thing anyways. I'm scheduled to get an offer letter from him tomorrow supposedly but he was taken back by my request.

Any thoughts on this?  Or anyone go through something similar?
Not sure how this applies to contract work, but is job security decent with the new employer? 

If you are employed by a large company, I'd not prioritize loyalty. Different story if it's a small business, but either way you can approach your current employer with the new offer to try and negotiate a raise.

Not sure how this applies to contract work, but is job security decent with the new employer? 

If you are employed by a large company, I'd not prioritize loyalty. Different story if it's a small business, but either way you can approach your current employer with the new offer to try and negotiate a raise.
Hi

Job security is probably better where I am.  In the contracting world you want to stay where there are the most options.   I know people where I am. So that means something to me.  And yes where I am is a large company.   Where I may be going is a small company

Hi

Job security is probably better where I am.  In the contracting world you want to stay where there are the most options.   I know people where I am. So that means something to me.  And yes where I am is a large company.   Where I may be going is a small company
Ok, so you just need to decide which is more important - job security or the pay increase. Or leverage the new offer to get a pay raise with your current company.

Ok, so you just need to decide which is more important - job security or the pay increase. Or leverage the new offer to get a pay raise with your current company.
Yeah its crazy cause I just got an increase to come over here 6 months ago plus my annual increase.    Ugh

Hi

When is the re-compete for this work?  Are either contracts coming up any time soon?  That should factor into your decision.

April.  New company is past that.

But word is my current company will win again.  
How's your network in your big company?  If the contract ended, even if it seems unlikely, do you think you'd have the network to get you on another project quickly, or would you potentially wind up on the bench?

How's your network in your big company?  If the contract ended, even if it seems unlikely, do you think you'd have the network to get you on another project quickly, or would you potentially wind up on the bench?
I do.  I was able to switch to this job I have now because of my connections.  I have several coworkers/friends that are dept heads and also the hr director.  I would think I would burn alot of bridges if I left.  My current boss is someone I worked with on a team 15 years ago.

I know like 2 people in the new company and have only known those guys for a few months.

I do.  I was able to switch to this job I have now because of my connections.  I have several coworkers/friends that are dept heads and also the hr director.  I would think I would burn alot of bridges if I left.  My current boss is someone I worked with on a team 15 years ago.

I know like 2 people in the new company and have only known those guys for a few months.
If that's the case small company would have to offer me a hell of a lot to move on.  Large salary bump, more vacation time, etc.

So they basically offered me the 20%.   Also offered me more vacation and their retirement plan is better than my current plan.  Seriously thinking about taking it.

Users who are viewing this thread