What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Josh Oliver, MIN (1 Viewer)

Jaguars third-round TE Josh Oliver has been a standout at OTAs.

He's earned praise from coach Doug Marrone, who complimented the rookie's catch radius and blocking technique. "I’m really happy with where he is," said Marrone. "It’s going to be exciting to see where he’s at when we start training camp." With little competition at tight end—his main challengers will be James O'Shaughnessy and former Cowboy Geoff Swaim—Oliver should see significant playing time as a rookie.

SOURCE: 1010 XL Jacksonville

May 31, 2019, 3:26 PM ET

Pro Football Focus's Mike Renner lists San Jose TE Josh Oliver as a potential sleeper in the 2019 NFL Draft class.

Oliver was one of the true few bright spots for a San Jose STate team that was atrocious the last two seasons. Renner notes that he was excellent making contested catches, and excellent might be an understatement. "His 16 contested catches were four more than that of the next tight end in the draft (Kaden Smith) and ranked 10th among all players in the country," he writes. Oliver is likely to go on Day 3, but he could be a steal because of his potential as a move tight end.

SOURCE: ESPN

Apr 19, 2019, 7:30 PM ET

An NFL scout said that San Jose State TE Josh Oliver can play in the slot.

"He needs to get better as a blocker so he can stay on the field on every down," but Oliver has some upside as a receiver. Before the NFL Scouting Combine, Oliver was viewed as a Day 3 prospect, but he may have played himself into the third round after running a 4.63-second forty. As a senior at San Jose State, Oliver caught 56 passes for 709 yards with four touchdowns.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Mar 10, 2019, 7:39 PM ET

Draft Analyst's Tony Pauline said on his podcast, 'The Draft Analysts,' that he believes that San Jose State TE Josh Oliver has locked down a top-75 selection for the draft.

Oliver (6'5/249) did not turn in a Noah Fant-style beatdown of the combine last weekend, but did test respectably, with his composite SPARQ athletic score landing him within the 56th percentile of NFL tight ends. His 40-yard dash time of 4.63 seconds tied with Irv Smith's for third-best in the position group. If Pauline's prediction holds true, Oliver will be off the board by the end of Day 2.

SOURCE: Bleav Podcast Network on Twitter

Mar 7, 2019, 3:35 PM ET

Jaguars third-round TE Josh Oliver has shown "good rapport" with Nick Foles.

Oliver was one of the standouts of Jacksonville's offseason program. With little in front of him, he has a clear path to rookie-year snaps. Oliver's run-blocking may prevent him from an every-down role, but he looks like the favorite to play on passing downs.

SOURCE: jaguars.com

Jun 26, 2019, 11:11 AM ET

Coach Doug Marrone said third-round TE Josh Oliver suffered a "serious" hamstring injury in Thursday's practice.

A standout in spring practices, Oliver hadn't made much noise to this point in camp. The rookie easily possesses the most upside in this tight end group, but it sounds like he's going to miss multiple weeks at minimum. Geoff Swaim and James O'Shaugnessy are next up on the depth chart.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 2, 2019, 9:14 AM ET

Jaguars TE Josh Oliver (hamstring) has been ruled out for Week 1.

Oliver has been battling a soft-tissue injury all training camp. He's not going to play in the season opener and could be sidelined multiple weeks. Oliver's missed time has him behind Geoff Swaim and James O'Shaughnessy, but he has the talent to start when healthy.

Sep 7, 2019, 8:50 AM ET

Jaguars TE Josh Oliver (hamstring) is out for Week 4.

It's another early rule out. Oliver got in a limited practice this week but missed the last two days. It sounds like he's dealing with a setback. The Jaguars have been going with a committee of James O'Shaughnessy and Geoff Swaim in his absence.

Sep 27, 2019, 7:05 PM ET

Josh Oliver (hamstring) is practicing in full for Week 7 against the Bengals.

It puts him on track to make his NFL debut Sunday in Cincinnati. It's good timing too as the Jaguars are extremely banged up at tight end with James O'Shaughnessy (ACL) on injured reserve and Geoff Swaim in the concussion protocol.

SOURCE: Mark Long on Twitter

Oct 17, 2019, 2:37 PM ET

Lost Dissly, Vance McDonald and OJ Howard on byes.  I’m looking at a murderers row of: Oliver, Gesicki, and Vernon Davis.  Do I dare start Oliver if Davis is still out with his concussion? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Lost Dissly, Vance McDonald and OJ Howard on byes.  I’m looking at a murderers row of: Oliver, Gesicki, and Vernon Davis.  Do I dare start Oliver if Davis is still out with his concussion? 
I've heard a lil positive buzz in support of Oliver. Yes, TE position is challenging for at least 4 teams out of 12 team league. I traded away Olsen when he was doing well because I had Dissly and Herndon. Figured I'd be okay. Not! Now I am staring directly at Fant, Cook, or Fells...gulp Oliver? Another guy who has both Andrews and Henry smell blood and wants to try and pry Jacobs for Henry and White. I rejected it. White is a Flex at best and inconsistent. Jacobs is in that second tier of 3-4 RB's at 5-7 overall.

Oli?

Josh Oliver (hamstring) is expected to play in Week 7 against the Bengals.

Oliver was removed from the injury after sitting out the first six weeks. He's healthy and showed enough in practice this week to be active with Geoff Swaim (concussion) out. Oliver is Jacksonville's best pass-catching tight end and has potential to carve out a role down the stretch.

Oct 18, 2019, 6:40 PM ET

1010XL's Hays Carlyon expects TE Josh Oliver's role to "continue to increase."

Oliver played 30 snaps and was targeted twice in Sunday's win over the Jets. He's quickly been established as Jacksonville's move tight end after missing the first six weeks. Oliver has the talent to carve out a role as he gets more acclimated to the offense. He's worth stashing in Dynasty leagues.

SOURCE: Hays Carlyon on Twitter

Oct 28, 2019, 9:57 AM ET

Rookie TE so anything he does at all is a plus.

Even being on the field and getting snaps and targets is excellent for a rookie.

Jaguars TE Josh Oliver suffered a back injury in Week 11 against the Colts.

Oliver left in the fourth quarter and didn't return. He played 53 percent of snaps before exiting. Oliver's status should be updated early next week.

Nov 17, 2019, 10:09 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Josh Oliver suffered "small fractures" in his back during Sunday's Week 11 loss to the Colts.

Oliver is slated to miss "a few weeks," which prompted the Jags to sign Dolphins castoff Nick O'Leary Monday morning. Jaguars tight ends have been dropping like flies with Oliver, James O'Shaughnessy (ACL) and Geoff Swaim (concussion) all succumbing to injuries. O'Leary, Seth DeValve and Ben Koyack are left as Jacksonville's only healthy tight ends.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 18, 2019, 11:46 AM ET

Jaguars TE Josh Oliver suffered a broken foot at practice Monday.

It's terrible news for the second-year pro after he mustered only four appearances before suffering a season-ending back injury last year. Tyler Eifert, who managed to play 16 games for the first time in his seven-year career last season, will be leaned on as Jacksonville's starting tight end (and a late-round dart for fantasy leagues) for the foreseeable future. It's currently unclear how much time Oliver is expected to miss.

SOURCE: John Reid on Twitter

Aug 17, 2020, 2:02 PM ET

Jaguars placed TE Josh Oliver (foot) on season-ending injured reserve.

Oliver's season is officially over since players are not eligible to return unless placed on IR after 4pm ET on Sunday, September 6. It's obviously a brutal end for the 23-year-old in only his second season after made just four appearances for Jackonsville during his rookie year. Profiled as a receiving threat out of San Jose State, the former third-rounder will clearly have to make significant strides to make up for lost time in learning the position over the next few seasons.

SOURCE: John Oehser on Twitter

Aug 20, 2020, 8:51 AM ET

Josh Oliver caught both targets for 26 yards in the Ravens' Wild Card loss to the Bengals.

Josh Oliver played the primary blocking tight end role for the Ravens in an offense that utilized 12-personnel and 21-personnel at the highest rates in the league. The 25-year-old tight end is scheduled to become a free agent when the new league year starts but could be brought back considering Mark Andrews and Isaiah Likely are not asked to stay in to block much in the Ravens offense.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Vikings signed TE Josh Oliver, formerly of the Ravens, to a three-year, $21 million contract.​

We've already got our research team on this one, folks. A supremely athletic tight end who excels in run blocking, Oliver spent the last two years in Baltimore rehabbing a career that was derailed by injuries early on. A former third-round draft pick by the Jaguars in 2019, Oliver can undoubtedly contribute to an NFL team, but this contract by the Vikings is puzzling given their recent acquisition of T.J. Hockenson last season. Oliver will receive $10.75 million in guaranteed money on this deal, that has a chance to be worth up to $24 million according to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Mar 13, 2023, 3:02 PM ET

I know nothing about this TE but as a Vikes fan this has got to one of the dumbest use of cap space I can think of based on what they already have at TE.

I know nothing about this TE but as a Vikes fan this has got to one of the dumbest use of cap space I can think of based on what they already have at TE.
He’s ok - bug dude. Good blocker. 6’5”, 250 type.

Not only does it seem dumb to pay a backup TE this much, it especially does in a year where there are a dozen or so solid TE/ coming out in the draft.

Josh Oliver caught 3-of-3 targets for 32 yards in the Vikings’ Week 1 loss to Buccaneers.

Oliver was second-fiddle tight end to T.J. Hockenson in Week 1. He saw three targets, mostly coming off of Kirk Cousins roll-outs. Oliver racked up 32 yards as Minnesota tight ends got short yardage looks against the Buccaneers. Entering Week 2 against the Bears, Oliver is only fantasy relevant if Hockenson ever misses time.

- Rotoworld

Users who are viewing this thread