What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rocketman - Elton John Bio Movie (1 Viewer)

interesting,  I  liked bohemian rhapsody but it was a band propaganda piece.  Elton John has some great songs so unless the movie doesn't feature his songs sounds worth a ticket. 
It is nothing like BR. This is a musical based on his music and his life. It is not the life story of Elton John or a bio IMHO. Not at all what we were expecting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ugh. Jukebox musicals, now jukebox movies. Live action versions of old animations. Will the 21st C puhleeze start producing hero artists so media can be something other than a recycling center?!
I think we gave up on art since it doesn’t sell as well as entertainment 

I think we have up on art since it doesn’t sell as well as entertainment 
tru dat. This is how bad it is - it's not just electronic media. My cousin Kathleen is a 3-time Tony winning choreographer/director. She's had several shows this decade - a musical of the Levinson movie Diner, original songs by Sheryl Crow; another original about the romantic travails of an opera singer, starring Renee Fleming; and a historically-accuratized revival of The Unsinkable Molly Brown (MUCH more interesting & dramatic, with remarkably-compatible new songs added to the classic Meredith Wilson score) - successfully staged out of town, but cant get a theater on the Great White Way for em because there are only 3-4 of them doing new stuff instead of jukebox musicals.

The irony is that her husband is a producer, used to bring new British plays to Broadway, has also been crowded out and had to go to work for another local production company. What do they do? Package new jukebox musicals that are keeping his wife from getting a theater...

tru dat. This is how bad it is - it's not just electronic media. My cousin Kathleen is a 3-time Tony winning choreographer/director. She's had several shows this decade - a musical of the Levinson movie Diner, original songs by Sheryl Crow; another original about the romantic travails of an opera singer, starring Renee Fleming; and a historically-accuratized revival of The Unsinkable Molly Brown (MUCH more interesting & dramatic, with remarkably-compatible new songs added to the classic Meredith Wilson score) - successfully staged out of town, but cant get a theater on the Great White Way for em because there are only 3-4 of them doing new stuff instead of jukebox musicals.

The irony is that her husband is a producer, used to bring new British plays to Broadway, has also been crowded out and had to go to work for another local production company. What do they do? Package new jukebox musicals that are keeping his wife from getting a theater...
They can always go to Hollywood and create something new like a reboot of the live action version of Beauty and the Beast.

It is nothing like BR. This is a musical based on his music and his life. It is not the life story of Elton John or a bio IMHO. Not at all what we were expecting.
Elton is also behind this movie.  He’s been pushing for it to get done for 10+ years.  In his words it’s not a biopic but the events and stories are based on his life.  He absolutely loves the movie and feels it represents his life very well.  

Havent seen it yet but looking forward to it. 

Her brother Rob (Chicago, Mary Poppins Returns) is live-actioning The Little Mermaid as we speak
Disney is cranking those things out so fast. I don’t know what they are going to do in 2 years when they have shot through the whole cannon. 

Disney is cranking those things out so fast. I don’t know what they are going to do in 2 years when they have shot through the whole cannon. 
Make Broadway musicals out of the live-actioned cartoons, then animate that

ETA: And Rob will slow the progression - he's made 6 movies in 18 years (and does no side projects at all). He's been casting Mermaid (mostly because GaGa was pushing to be Ariel) since they started drawing the added animation for Poppins almost 2 yrs ago and isnt even close to setting a shoot date.

For those interested there is a good podcast interview with Elton about this movie.  Lots of good insight and background straight from the man himself.  The interview was on the poscast “Disgraceland” (which is a killer pod btw) but it’s also tied to the new podcast “Icons”.   

Music critic Gary Graf says this blows Bohemian Rhapsody out of the water.
Bohemian Rhapsody felt like you were being told a story.

This picture feels like you are experiencing the story...at least a bit more.

I thought it was unique and interesting divergence from the typical biopic.

ETA:  I'm a huge Elton fan and believe he's one of the top 5 most talented pop artists of the past century....so I'm obviously not an objective critic.

ETA:  I'm a huge Elton fan and believe he's one of the top 5 most talented pop artists of the past century....so I'm obviously not an objective critic.
This is my take also.  Also a huge fan. 

I wasn't expecting it to be a musical, but thought especially in the second half of the movie that the songs tied into his life story very well.  

Music critic Gary Graf says this blows Bohemian Rhapsody out of the water.
I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. I wasn't looking for a musical and really didn't care for it. I bought tickets because the wife said we were going. Wish I had researched it a bit more and saved myself the money and time. Understand, I'm not saying it was bad or anything of that sort. I'm saying I don't like musicals, wasn't expecting one, and therefore didn't enjoy it. Just a PSA for those not expecting a musical.

I'm here to judge you.  What are your top 5 Elton John songs?

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for. I wasn't looking for a musical and really didn't care for it. I bought tickets because the wife said we were going. Wish I had researched it a bit more and saved myself the money and time. Understand, I'm not saying it was bad or anything of that sort. I'm saying I don't like musicals, wasn't expecting one, and therefore didn't enjoy it. Just a PSA for those not expecting a musical.
I'd heard it was good from people; nobody mentioned this to me. Good to know. 

I tuned out long ago and don't feel bad about it. Did they really do a live action movie of The Jungle Book or something like that?

I'm serious. I really don't know. 

I tuned out long ago and don't feel bad about it. Did they really do a live action movie of The Jungle Book or something like that?

I'm serious. I really don't know. 
Yep.  I think the popularity of that set off the wave of live action disney movies.  They are cranking them out- JB, beauty and the beast, dumbo, Aladdin, now lion king.  

Yep.  I think the popularity of that set off the wave of live action disney movies.  They are cranking them out- JB, beauty and the beast, dumbo, Aladdin, now lion king.  
Wow. That's interesting. Was that the cause of the whole Will Smith/Aladdin hubbub recently?

eta* I heard it on the radio one morning. Yes, I am listening to the radio. Spotify was down. 

Huge EJ fan here.  I enjoyed the music and didn't mind the musical genre he wanted to produce.  And I thought Taron Egerton did a good job in the lead.  He didn't sound like Elton but was better than I expected. 

All said I liked Bohemian Rhapsody better.   One of the central themes shared between the two stories is how success brings out false 'friends' and people taking advantage of the star. 

I'd give it 3 of 5 stars.  

How is it different from the typical rock biopic formula.

Talented kid from lower class upbringing - Plays small venues til they're discovered - Rise to fame - Struggle with drugs/alcohol/relationships - Fall from stardom - Resurgence at the end.

There are way too many great EJ songs to narrow it down to a top 5 but I'll try... based on my favorites, not the ones I think are his best.  

Levon

Someone Saved My Life Tonight

Daniel

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Empty Garden

How is it different from the typical rock biopic formula.

Talented kid from lower class upbringing - Plays small venues til they're discovered - Rise to fame - Struggle with drugs/alcohol/relationships - Fall from stardom - Resurgence at the end.
I don't think Elton really ever fell from stardom.  He battled addiction and attempted suicide. His resurgence was beating his addiction and staying sober for the last half of his career.  He was never the #1 hit factory that the Beatles or Michael Jackson were but he's had one of the greatest musical careers in the business.  

My earliest memory of Elton was the Goodbye Yellow Brick Road album (1973).  I was 8 years old sharing the same bedroom as my 14 yr old sister.  She played it every morning along with The Monkees.  Played them to death.  Guess I knew every word. 

A big part of the genius that is Elton John is how he writes his music just by looking at lyrics.  Bernie wrote lyrics and Elton put music to them.  I read that he said he wrote the chords and melody to Your Song in about 30 minutes.  

Example of EJ writing music to words in a random book

A little farther down the page he does it to instructions for an oven.  Brilliant musician.  

I saw Bohemian Rhapsody 10 times in the theater and saw Rocketman twice already. While they are both similar in that they are biopics about famous musicians, they really are quite different.

Bohemian Rhapsody is much more linear . . . it tells a story based on a lot of real world events. It features the actual music of Queen with Freddy Mercury singing. The movie really focuses on the music of Queen an their performances. It builds to a climax with their Live Aid performance, which they painstakingly reenacted and copied almost frame by frame from video of the actual event. (In the movie, Live Aid gets an artificial dramatic boost based on creative storytelling and creative license to make it fit the movie.)

Rocketman is an autobiographic retelling of events by Elton himself (in the context of the movie . . . his character is the one actually telling his life story in the film), but it is essentially a Broadway musical in film form. They re-recorded and re-imagined the songs into Broadway play form. Many of the musical numbers are dreams or fantasy sequences. For example, their are songs where adult Elton duets with childhood Elton. There are scenes where popular Elton songs are sung by an ensemble or with family members each taking a verse. There are lavish set pieces with elaborate dance numbers, costuming, staging, and a lot of choreography.

They are completely different movies. If I had to pick one film or the other in different categories, Rocketman would likely check off more boxes . It would get the nod in creativity, production value, set design, lighting, production value, costuming, editing, and overall creative vision and direction. It definitely gets away from a strict retelling of real world events. It really delves into a different, alternative, artistic way to tell the Elton John story.

That being said, that may not be for everyone. I liked both films, but overall it likely will come down to which musical artist you like better. Queen fans and Elton John fans may not be fans of the other. I probably liked Bohemian Rhapsody better as there is more of an element of excitement to it and I got into the end a lot more. Since Elton is still alive and there is so much more to tell about his life story, Rocketman pretty much just ends . . . there is no real defining end point to the movie or big event that they had to work with. So I enjoyed the imagery, the creative elements, and the production value of the film. But I don't see me watching it over and over and over again. But I studied all that stuff in school, so my appreciation of movie production may not be something the typical viewer cares about. Different strokes for different folks. But if people going in are expecting something similar to Bohemian Rhapsody, they may be a little disappointed. You can't really crank up the musical numbers like in Bohemian Rhapsody (unless you like Broadway show tunes).

Wat?  I mean, I get liking a movie and seeing it again or maybe 3 times but I don't get this.  Are you one of those guys paid to make the theater look busy?  Free tickets?
Nope. It became my wife’s favorite movie. It became a date night thing every weekend while it was out. 

Ugh. Jukebox musicals, now jukebox movies. Live action versions of old animations. Will the 21st C puhleeze start producing hero artists so media can be something other than a recycling center?!
no truer words have been spoken.

lets just review the last 10 years.   How many good movies have come out as a pctg of all major releases that were "original" ideas like Get Out?  Most of the major winners at the box office were superhero movies, reboots, sequels or the like.  Now i'm all for a good series like star wars, guardians, x men, avengers etc...but I'd like to see a lot more Get Outs.   Seems like Hollywood is afraid to take risks anymore.   I don't get it.

no truer words have been spoken.

lets just review the last 10 years.   How many good movies have come out as a pctg of all major releases that were "original" ideas like Get Out?  Most of the major winners at the box office were superhero movies, reboots, sequels or the like.  Now i'm all for a good series like star wars, guardians, x men, avengers etc...but I'd like to see a lot more Get Outs.   Seems like Hollywood is afraid to take risks anymore.   I don't get it.
Agree....pure recycled stuff for a decade running. And they wonder why the box office receipts are plunging. Yeah streaming has taken over....but the quality of the movies have been going down rapidly in terms of originality. 

I'm going to guess the folks listing Elton's best songs haven't heard Empty Sky.  Do yourself a favor and listen to that first, then make your lists.  That's his best song with Funeral for a Friend underneath in the exacta.  

Users who are viewing this thread