What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Annual Nintendo TecmoBowl & RBI Baseball tourney. (1 Viewer)

BKB1976

Footballguy
This spring we held our 4th annual day long doubleheader tourney in Omaha.  Had players from 7 different states this year.  The format is set up so that the majority of the field gets 3+ hour gaming experience in each tourney.  We open with 3 games of group play, followed by seeding the bracket.  As players are eliminated, they can continue to play games vs others that have been eliminated.... from those who finish out of the money in 6th place, all the way to last place. If you think you're one of the top players in original Tecmo Bowl or the 1st RBI baseball, this is an event you need to attend.         

Just released the podcast which has this years 2019 Tecmo Bowl champion join me to break it down.  Link to episode here >  https://www.podbean.com/media/share/pb-wkmm5-b33390  This mainly focused on the final 4 but had a good section on the deeper details of some of the match-ups in those games.  I will be having the current RBI champ joining me in the future, along with the previous 2 time RBI champ.   

Both Tecmo Bowl & RBI draw close to 20 players each year.  While not a huge turnout, the format is perfect for that size of field to offer everyone the opportunity to face off with many different people & different skill sets.  Most of the attendees play in 7 games of Tecmo Bowl.  RBI Baseball becomes best of 3 in the final 4/championship offering the opportunity for even more games if you make a deep run.  Occasionally there is a fluke upset in the elimination stages knocking a legit contender out, and/or sometimes due to luck of seeding, a less skilled/non elite player can get into the final 4.  However with the amount of top talent each game attracts, both tourneys each year have featured championships with 2 top level players.    

See TecmoBowlNES.com for a full run down of our format, gameplay rules, and other info for this event. 

This long running tourney is without a doubt the measuring stick event for both of these games.  Talented players from around the midwest keep returning year after year and routinely placing high, making this the true national championship for both games.  Additionally a couple Canadians from the Toronto area have flown down to both place 2nd with Tecmo Bowl in back to back years.  Our current RBI champ came from Arkansas.  Chicago has produced a 3-time final 4 player in RBI, and another from Chicago has back to back final 4 runs in Tecmo.   A Coloradoan has a 2nd & 5th place finishes on his RBI Baseball resume, and another RBI player from Kansas has placed 4th & 6th in his 2 trips to Omaha.       

2019 event flyer below.

https://ibb.co/FXxxyZn

Last edited by a moderator:
Nugget said:
I feel like this info would have been more useful about 3 months ago.
Something jogged my memory about this forum recently, so i thought I'd throw it on here to work up some interest for next year.  I advertise the hell out of it on facebook around the midwest starting about 3-4 months out. 

I haven't put any video together yet from this year, but here is some clips from 2018.  https://youtu.be/513p3xTj-EY  

OrtonToOlsen said:
Those Tecmobowl rules are confusing.
Well, my buddies and I play a lot of Tecmo Bowl so based on our experiences, its what we've determined is best for a competitive setting.

No gaining yards when the defense picks the same play as the offense.  Kind of important, as certain plays like Mark Bavaro running the curl route.....completely unstoppable even when the defense calls it, and not a lot of timing is required to complete that.  Whats to keep me from running that play every 3rd/4th down all drive long to ensure i score a TD each drive? 

If you know where all the fast defenders are for field goals(because their names are not listed on the screen for that play), you can block a lot of them from at least 30 yards out.  The "LB position only" to rush on FG attempts is designed to keep FGs as a key aspect of scoring in TB.  Football is not  a game of TDs or nothing.  Field goals are a big part of scoring.

Something jogged my memory about this forum recently, so i thought I'd throw it on here to work up some interest for next year.  I advertise the hell out of it on facebook around the midwest starting about 3-4 months out. 

I haven't put any video together yet from this year, but here is some clips from 2018.  https://youtu.be/513p3xTj-EY  
If I-29 reopens by next March I may be interested. 

Not a fan at all of any rules for tecmo.  All the glitches are part of the game, and just an fyi those unstoppable plays CAN be stopped on occasion.  And wow, there are only 4 plays.  Cant gain yards when they pick the play?? Yikes.

Not a fan at all of any rules for tecmo.  All the glitches are part of the game, and just an fyi those unstoppable plays CAN be stopped on occasion.  And wow, there are only 4 plays.  Cant gain yards when they pick the play?? Yikes.
I can pick off the Roger Craig slant and the Cap Boso slant, and do so at a high clip.  Ive even posted some shot of doing it on youtube,  However with the curl I've yet to see any footage of that being picked off.  The game pulls you around Bavaro/Herschel Walker/etc and doesn't let you stay in the right position.  

I can pick off the Roger Craig slant and the Cap Boso slant, and do so at a high clip.  Ive even posted some shot of doing it on youtube,  However with the curl I've yet to see any footage of that being picked off.  The game pulls you around Bavaro/Herschel Walker/etc and doesn't let you stay in the right position.  
Pick a fat slow guy.  Anticipate.  Results.

No rules.  If you can use something to your advantage, do it.  Both sides play by the same "rules".

Your "house rules" should not be applied to a tourney like this.  Seems to give you and your boys a huge advantage.

If I-29 reopens by next March I may be interested. 
It'll be re-opened and probably re-flooded and closed 2 more times by then.  😬   Missouri river in Omaha is out of its banks again right now.  

One of our better RBI players comes from Lawrence, KS and has placed 6th & 4th the last 2 years.  Hes just middle of the pack at best in Tecmo Bowl.  Of the dozen or so that play in both tournaments each year, we've only had 1 person place top 4 in both.  Had a couple place top 5 in both.

Often a guy who is ace at one game but not great at the other will enter both, especially when they make a long drive to get here.  A guy from Chicago is always top 4 in RBI but doesn;t play Tecmo.  However its due to him not wanting his thumbs to hurt too much from a day of mashing.  He just needs to play a bit 2 weeks leading up to get into thumb shape.

Tecmo Bowl has a upper echelon of 4-5 players that stands out.  Big difference most years between 1st and 6th/7th place for example. 

RBI is more competitive especially from 3rd/4th place through 10th or even as deep as 12th.    

Pick a fat slow guy.  Anticipate.  Results.

No rules.  If you can use something to your advantage, do it.  Both sides play by the same "rules".

Your "house rules" should not be applied to a tourney like this.  Seems to give you and your boys a huge advantage.
Ive played in a tourney with no rules against a field of 32 players (Columbus Ohio) and used the cheats to my advantage for a bunch of easier wins than usual.  Those rules are not necessarily for my benefit, but for the less experienced players.

Ive played in a tourney with no rules against a field of 32 players (Columbus Ohio) and used the cheats to my advantage for a bunch of easier wins than usual.  Those rules are not necessarily for my benefit, but for the less experienced players.
And???  The game is the game.  If someone isnt as good as you at knowing every in and out of every defender against every team, but they are better than you at the "cheats" and clock management, then so be it.

And???  The game is the game.  If someone isnt as good as you at knowing every in and out of every defender against every team, but they are better than you at the "cheats" and clock management, then so be it.
This is kind of the same reason why at all the major Tecmo Super Bowl tournaments around the US, they outlaw the NT dive play.  It doesn't enhance the actual game play, and who wants to see 50+ consecutive games of "the national championship of nose tackle diving"?   People would most rather see skill on display, than some goofy exploit that essentially breaks the game.  

This is kind of the same reason why at all the major Tecmo Super Bowl tournaments around the US, they outlaw the NT dive play.  It doesn't enhance the actual game play, and who wants to see 50+ consecutive games of "the national championship of nose tackle diving"?   People would most rather see skill on display, than some goofy exploit that essentially breaks the game.  
I dont like the NT dive thing and we have a house rule against it.  However, in a national tourney, deal with it.  Change your playbook

Do you have video of any RBI games? I'd be interested in watching a game just to see what the competition looks like. Are there any RBI rules to be aware of? The youtube video and links you posted above seem Tecmo-focused. TIA.

Loved RBI Baseball back in the day ... mostly the stand-up arcade version, though. The one where they extrapolated Mark McGwire's (63 HRs in game) and Jose Canseco's (54 HRs) 1987 All-Star Break stats.

Users who are viewing this thread