What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 MLB Amateur Draft Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
The one day every year where I miss Bud Selig :nerd:

The Orioles are still playing coy at 1.01.  There's been speculation about college C Adley Rutschman and HS SS Bobby Witt Jr.  Rutschman may be a generational talent at C.  Some people don't like spending a high pick on that position but I've personally found it very reassuring to see Buster Posey's name on the lineup card five days a week for almost a decade.

The mocks I've seen seem unusually batter heavy at the top.  I don't know if that's a TINSTAAPP market adjustment or just a weak draft class. 

With the new thinking over the past few years around bats coming up to the majors earlier I think we might be seeing a shift to fewer arms taken in the top tier. Add in the additional risk and inevitable TJ surgeries and it makes sense for the risk averse teams that are trying to keep long term control of their young "stars". 

Last year there were 25 position players and 18 pitchers (9 college and 9 HS) drafted in the first round

In 2017, it was 19 bats and 17 arms (12 from college including Brendan McKay)

2016, 19 bats and 22 arms (13 from college)

I don't know if this constitutes a trend or small sample size variation.  It's probably within the bounds of the latter :shrug:

Eephus said:
Some people don't like spending a high pick on that position but I've personally found it very reassuring to see Buster Posey's name on the lineup card five days a week for almost a decade. :nerd:
Joe Maddon might still be in Tampa with maybe a couple of flags flying if they had chosen Posey instead of Beckham. 

player interviews are the biggest waste at every draft, lots of the same old crap answers :yawn:   I'd rather hear more from the nerds  :bowtie:

The MLB crawl is terrible.  The current pick isn't shown anywhere on the screen., 

It's great to know the second round draft order but it's impossible to catch up on who's already been drafted.

Joe Maddon might still be in Tampa with maybe a couple of flags flying if they had chosen Posey instead of Beckham. 
I'm glad Beckham has been able to carve out a MLB career.  It sure wasn't direct or easy.

Beckham has over 2900 minor league PAs compared to 750 for Buster.

Eephus said:
Some people don't like spending a high pick on that position but I've personally found it very reassuring to see Buster Posey's name on the lineup card five days a week for almost a decade.
I just heard someone reference this theory. He claims it stems from the Mets taking Steve Chilcott #1 and he never played a game in the majors. #2 was someone named Reginald Martinez Jackson. 

NFL:  Virtual draft generates unprecedented fan interest

MLB:  Shortens draft to five rounds.

Users who are viewing this thread