What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ford vs. Ferrari (1 Viewer)

In May of 2019 there was a new "fastest production car ever."

Not the Bugatti Veyron or a McLaren, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Porsche, Mercedes Benz, Koenigsegg or even a GM product...

... a 2006 Ford GT.  300mph within 1 mile. Running a V8 with 2500 hp. Street legal -- though completely modified.

Now we know why Damon and Bale were in the flag stand at the Indy 500.  🏁🏁🏁
Kinda.  I was thinking about this today.  Neither Ford nor Ferrari have any affiliation at all with the Indy 500.  Ford pulled out of Indycar decades ago and I'm pretty certain Ferrari never raced in Indycar.  Neither Carroll Shelby nor Ken Miles had anything to do, whatsoever, with Indycar racing, Indycars nor the Indianapolis 500 to my knowledge.  It's Hollywood though, it's a racing event, so there's that I guess. ;)

Kinda.  I was thinking about this today.  Neither Ford nor Ferrari have any affiliation at all with the Indy 500.  Ford pulled out of Indycar decades ago and I'm pretty certain Ferrari never raced in Indycar.  Neither Carroll Shelby nor Ken Miles had anything to do, whatsoever, with Indycar racing, Indycars nor the Indianapolis 500 to my knowledge.  It's Hollywood though, it's a racing event, so there's that I guess. ;)
Yea. The movie is about Le Mans

You’re right. It’s Hollywierd.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right, which is why I thought it was odd they were here in Indy to promote a movie about Le Mans but, again, Hollywood.
According to IMDB Lloyd Ruby is portrayed in the movie....it doesn't get much more Indianapolis 500 than Ruby 😊.

(Ruby was an excellent road racer and I think he and Miles were good friends.)

They were at Indy for the knowledgeable people who are still tied in with Indy.

Ford Motor company, which was a long-time owner of Cosworth Racing, were relatively unmatched in engine design and winning for the CART/Indy sport.

boilerdave said:
According to IMDB Lloyd Ruby is portrayed in the movie....it doesn't get much more Indianapolis 500 than Ruby 😊.

(Ruby was an excellent road racer and I think he and Miles were good friends.)
Ruby teamed with Miles to win Daytona and Sebring in 1966.  He was burned in an airplane crash after Indy and had to be replaced at Le Mans by Denny Hulme.

Go see this movie. If you see one movie a year, this is the one. It's not a
"Hollywood" movie. The strength of this movie comes from the script and
characters. No overblown production or drama. If you're 60+ years old and
haven't gone to a movie in years, you would like this movie. If you're a 
20 something and see everything, you would like this movie.

Go see this movie. If you see one movie a year, this is the one. It's not a
"Hollywood" movie. The strength of this movie comes from the script and
characters. No overblown production or drama. If you're 60+ years old and
haven't gone to a movie in years, you would like this movie. If you're a 
20 something and see everything, you would like this movie.
Is it a need to see it on a big screen movie? Like a Marvel or Star Wars, or is it one that seeing in on HBO or Netflix will be fine?

I am interested, just not sure I could get my wife to go.

Good movie, it's exactly what you are expecting in the best and worst ways.  The driving scenes really well done and there are just some gorgeous scenes. It's a bit predictable, but in a good way where it feels like a movie from the 80s or 90s. IMAX is the absolute way to see it- the sound is incredible. You can feel the engine on the Shelby humming, 

Is it a need to see it on a big screen movie? Like a Marvel or Star Wars, or is it one that seeing in on HBO or Netflix will be fine?

My answer to this is usually "vote with your money".  I will go out of my way to see this and movies like it in the theater to try to make sure it's not just Marvel, Star Wars, and Rambo 13 as options. ;)

Good movie, it's exactly what you are expecting in the best and worst ways.  The driving scenes really well done and there are just some gorgeous scenes. It's a bit predictable, but in a good way where it feels like a movie from the 80s or 90s. IMAX is the absolute way to see it- the sound is incredible. You can feel the engine on the Shelby humming, 
You lucky enough to have a decent IMAX by you? 

I saw it in a cinema-pub and still loved it. Edit to add-The movie doesn't need big sound or effects
to make this a great movie. It helps, but isn't what you'll remember this movie for.

I saw it in a cinema-pub and still loved it. Edit to add-The movie doesn't need big sound or effects
to make this a great movie. It helps, but isn't what you'll remember this movie for.
That, and I know @Mr. Ected has those kids things.  For me it's good to see any type of movie in the theater so I am not distracted by phones, kids getting up from sleep, baby monitors, etc..  You can sit in peace and focus on a movie.  Sometimes I prefer the movie story driven/heavy ones on the big screen because of this stuff, and I can watch some silly super hero movie at home with all that junk going on because I don't need to focus on it very much.   

I really want to see this as I am a bit of a car junky. Thinking of being my son who is 9. Anyone who has seen it think of any issues. He has seen Avenger movies, etc. 

I really want to see this as I am a bit of a car junky. Thinking of being my son who is 9. Anyone who has seen it think of any issues. He has seen Avenger movies, etc. 
Saw it last night and enjoyed it as a car junky.  I believe it is fine for your son.

Yeah, should be fine IMO. No nudity, not much profanity (maybe an ### or #### sparingly). 

I agree it's a good all around movie, but for me at least, I would feel a bit let down missing out on the the movie at imax/theater. The sound is really something- the hum of the engines actually physically makes you feel like you are in the cars. 

Ilov80s said:
Yeah, should be fine IMO. No nudity, not much profanity (maybe an ### or #### sparingly). 

I agree it's a good all around movie, but for me at least, I would feel a bit let down missing out on the the movie at imax/theater. The sound is really something- the hum of the engines actually physically makes you feel like you are in the cars. 
Saw it in IMAX and I agree but I think a Dolby theater would be better. The seat rumbling would be amazing during the racing scenes.  

This was an all around good movie with a great performance from Bale. Lots to feast on if you're a car junkie and still plenty to enjoy even you're not. 

Saw it with my 9-yo boy and he loved it. He's a motorhead through and through though. There was nothing objectionable aside from the occasional swear word. Good movie that wasn't breaking any new ground but was certainly enjoyable.

Big win for big budget originality, Ford v Ferrari crushed the weekend and outshot estimates with $31 million domestic 

Saw it in IMAX and I agree but I think a Dolby theater would be better. The seat rumbling would be amazing during the racing scenes.  

This was an all around good movie with a great performance from Bale. Lots to feast on if you're a car junkie and still plenty to enjoy even you're not. 
Saw it Saturday in a Dolby theater.  It was great.  Bale was outstanding and Damon was great too.  A bit long at 2.5 hours, but good story (even if embellished a bit). 

I read that Hollywood has been trying to get this made for a while and that Cruise and Pitt were attached at one point.  :X   Not ever sure who would have played who?

Im excited to see this so its good to hear you guys liked it. I will be watching it on a mono TV that has round corners and also serves as furniture. 

Movie biz in trouble of this only goes for 30mill opening weekend.

Great reviews. Star power.  Cinematic.  Would think it appeals to middle America.

Thought this was gonna be a monster hit.

Saw this with my in laws on Friday. I knew my Father in Law, who worked in the car industry for 40 years, would want to see it. My wife and MiL just came along for date night. They both LOVED it as did my FiL and I. 

Great reviews. Star power.  Cinematic.  Would think it appeals to middle America.

It was- 30% over what was predicted for it. It's expected to stay strong on word of mouth through the big holiday weekend. It's been a great year for serious movies for adults. 

It was- 30% over what was predicted for it. It's expected to stay strong on word of mouth through the big holiday weekend. It's been a great year for serious movies for adults.
It should eventually turn a profit which is good for all involved.  This type of movie doesn't have the demographic appeal of a blockbuster but the production didn't have a blockbuster sized budget either.

I saw it today.  Enjoyed it but didn't love it.  Bale and Damon were excellent and the movie did a good job of recreating its mid-60s period.  I thought the movie was a little bloated at 2 1/2 hours and the script was full of the usual sports movie/outsiders cliches.

Two things that always bothers me in racing movies is when competing drivers lock eyes with each other while racing and when they shift into another hidden gear to go faster.  Congratulations if you had those on your bingo cards.

It should eventually turn a profit which is good for all involved.  This type of movie doesn't have the demographic appeal of a blockbuster but the production didn't have a blockbuster sized budget either.
It should do very well in Europe where it’s been released as  Le Mans 66. Also the budget wasn’t quite Avengers but it was $100 million.

I was looking at movies coming out here and while there are a few for my kids, I noticed there are a bunch for me and my wife. I'm good with that. 

Out of respect for the great man and to benchmark my own chili fixings, I've tried Carroll Shelby's Chili blend a couple of times.  It was pretty decent but nothing earth shaking.

If Ford v. Ferrari does boffo box office, the sequel could be Shelby's first chili cookoff in Terlingua, TX.  It happened in 1967, the same year Ford and Shelby won their second Le Mans.

Saw this last night and enjoyed it.   Nothing earth shattering, just an interesting story with decent acting.

Bale is the modern day DDL...guy is nails.

It's getting lots of Best Picture buzz and Damon/Bale are also getting some buzz. I actually preferred Damon- I thought Bale was a bit showy. It reminded me a lot of his role in The Figher.

Out of respect for the great man and to benchmark my own chili fixings, I've tried Carroll Shelby's Chili blend a couple of times.  It was pretty decent but nothing earth shaking.

If Ford v. Ferrari does boffo box office, the sequel could be Shelby's first chili cookoff in Terlingua, TX.  It happened in 1967, the same year Ford and Shelby won their second Le Mans.
I too have bought and eaten his chili based on name recognition alone. Agree it doesn't really stand out on its own but I'll still pick it off the shelf just because..

Good movie, can't imagine the Ford execs loved it and especially taking some liberties with the story to make their guys look bad.

Of course, they made the Italians look just as bad.

Good movie, can't imagine the Ford execs loved it and especially taking some liberties with the story to make their guys look bad.

Of course, they made the Italians look just as bad.
I think The Deuce looked good in it. I can’t imagine they dislike the positive publicity from the film or the highlighting of of the great moments in their history. The family of Leo Beebe probably doesn’t love it though. 

Users who are viewing this thread