Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ffldrew

Alabamians are safe from Stupid Laws today - It's Jeff Davis' Birthday!

Yes - in 2019 the State of Alabama closes its offices to "celebrate" the Birth of Jefferson Davis.

Happy Birthday Jeff!

• Thinking 1

Among the most fascinating of Americans: an incredibly gifted speaker (his speech upon resigning from the Senate is still one of the best in our history), vain and arrogant and not at all a good war President, yet incredibly brave and resolute, as when he stood down a group of starving Virginians in Richmond late in the war. 

Davis’ influence on the Civil War was damaging to the Confederacy, mainly because of his obstinate favoritism of certain generals in the western theater, and his bungling of foreign relations with England. Yet it’s hard to see how a better leader could have changed the result. Lincoln in charge of the rebels might have prolonged the war, but the South still would have lost. Davis’s most lasting damage to our history might have taken place years after the war, when his revisionist, self serving history ignited the “Lost Cause” movement, of which this birthday celebration is somewhat of a last remnant. 

18 minutes ago, lowe said:

It is a huge shame that in Virginia they are taking down statues of him, changing roads named after him, etc.

Why? 

2 hours ago, lowe said:

Bad or good, it is our countries history.

And that's why we have history books. And museums.

• Like 2

The patron saint of treasonous racists

Edited by Jayrod

On 6/4/2019 at 8:36 AM, timschochet said:

Among the most fascinating of Americans: an incredibly gifted speaker (his speech upon resigning from the Senate is still one of the best in our history), vain and arrogant and not at all a good war President, yet incredibly brave and resolute, as when he stood down a group of starving Virginians in Richmond late in the war. 

Davis’ influence on the Civil War was damaging to the Confederacy, mainly because of his obstinate favoritism of certain generals in the western theater, and his bungling of foreign relations with England. Yet it’s hard to see how a better leader could have changed the result. Lincoln in charge of the rebels might have prolonged the war, but the South still would have lost. Davis’s most lasting damage to our history might have taken place years after the war, when his revisionist, self serving history ignited the “Lost Cause” movement, of which this birthday celebration is somewhat of a last remnant. 

Tim,  I know you are a big history buff.  If you get a chance browse through this book.  It is pretty interesting to get a take on exactly how people thought and acted back then.  There are some pretty interesting letters written by both Confederate and Union generals in there.  You just have to remember who wrote the book and when it was written.  It is about the first use of Americans as human shields at Ft. Pulanski.

https://archive.org/details/TheImmortalSixHundred_201605/page/n21

Just now, rustycolts said:

Tim,  I know you are a big history buff.  If you get a chance browse through this book.  It is pretty interesting to get a take on exactly how people thought and acted back then.  There are some pretty interesting letters written by both Confederate and Union generals in there.  You just have to remember who wrote the book and when it was written.  It is about the first use of Americans as human shields at Ft. Pulanski.

https://archive.org/details/TheImmortalSixHundred_201605/page/n21

Thanks. I will take a look.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:02 AM, IvanKaramazov said:

If my employer wants to pay me to stay at home and play video games on Osama bin Laden's birthday, I'll take the day off.

Pretty much the same thing, but maybe a touch worse.