What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In Louisiana's push for minimum marriage age, Conservatives fight for 15 years old (1 Viewer)

mr. furley

Footballguy
who needs fake news when you have real news like this

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/legislature/article_920fdaf0-85a4-11e9-a334-bb5f784e01c1.html

“We want children to be born into wedlock if possible,” said Rep. Nancy Landry, R-Lafayette. “We’re discouraging that with this. If they’re both 16 or 15 and having a baby why wouldn’t we want them to get married?”

“A lot of 16-year-olds get pregnant,” added Rep. Valarie Hodges, R-Denham Springs. “Do you feel it’s better for them to not get married at all and for the child to be born illegitimately?”

“I met my husband when I was 14 and he was 15 and if it wasn’t for the belief that we should get a high school diploma before we get married, I would have gotten married at 15,” Amedee said.

The law was aimed at curtailing trafficking in young girls. Why are Republicans fine with little girls, and that's what a 15 year old is, marrying full grown adults? We have an age of consent and laws against adults having sex with minors for a reason. And if you are so damn worried about pregnancies then try some sex ed and making birth control readily available. 

who needs fake news when you have real news like this

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/politics/legislature/article_920fdaf0-85a4-11e9-a334-bb5f784e01c1.html

“We want children to be born into wedlock if possible,” said Rep. Nancy Landry, R-Lafayette. “We’re discouraging that with this. If they’re both 16 or 15 and having a baby why wouldn’t we want them to get married?”

“A lot of 16-year-olds get pregnant,” added Rep. Valarie Hodges, R-Denham Springs. “Do you feel it’s better for them to not get married at all and for the child to be born illegitimately?”

“I met my husband when I was 14 and he was 15 and if it wasn’t for the belief that we should get a high school diploma before we get married, I would have gotten married at 15,” Amedee said.
Some husbands totally failed in keeping the women folk at home.

:sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I follow their logic in determining the age needs to be 15. Certainly a 14 year old can get pregnant, and their logic suggests that they wouldn't want that child to be born out of wedlock either. The only logical line one could apply to the law is the point when the female is able to bear a child. At that point in order to avoid out of wedlock births, it should be legal for them to marry.... at least according to the logic they are using here. 

Not sure I follow their logic in determining the age needs to be 15. Certainly a 14 year old can get pregnant, and their logic suggests that they wouldn't want that child to be born out of wedlock either. The only logical line one could apply to the law is the point when the female is able to bear a child. At that point in order to avoid out of wedlock births, it should be legal for them to marry.... at least according to the logic they are using here. 
:goodposting:

Logically, they should be fighting to remove the age restriction altogether. As long as the girl is pregnant, then she should be eligible for marriage.

In ancient times, 14 year old girls regularly got married off and had children shortly thereafter.

Of course, most people didn't live past 40... Also a lot of women died in childbirth and lots of babies died before age 5.

The Z Machine said:
In ancient times, 14 year old girls regularly got married off and had children shortly thereafter.

Of course, most people didn't live past 40... Also a lot of women died in childbirth and lots of babies died before age 5.
Also, abortion was legal. 

The Z Machine said:

Actually only nobility tended to marry young. Even in Roman times average age was in the 20s for non-noble marriage despite a very low age of consent. This stays pretty consistent throughout history.

Solid example of right wing crazy there. Yes, lets doom them both to a life of poverty & despair. MOST people shouldn't even have kids until 30. By them you should be somewhat established financially and if you are not, you should not be pumping out another future poor person.

Such a strange thing to put energy into.  This state is a mess, and this is what they spend time on?
And even here in a 'red state' ... those kinds of representatives speak for about 1 in 10,000 conservative Louisianians. At best.

For all intents and purposes, teenagers never get married here (statistically -- one-offs can be found). So what's this law about?

Such a strange thing to put energy into.  This state is a mess, and this is what they spend time on?
And even here in a 'red state' ... those kinds of representatives speak for about 1 in 10,000 conservative Louisianians. At best.

For all intents and purposes, teenagers never get married here (statistically -- one-offs can be found). So what's this law about?
This site says 4530 minors were married in Louisiana between 2000 and 2010, including one girl who was 12. And this Pew Research poll shows that Louisiana has one of the higher rates of child marriage in the country (4.9 per thousand).

Louisiana is one of just 5 states that currently allow children of any age to get married (with parental consent). Democrats are trying to close that loophole (they want to raise the minimum age to 17). Republicans, to their credit, aren't pushing to allow 12-year-olds to get married. It looks like they're trying to come up with a compromise that finds a balance between the current law and what the Democrats want.

As I said in the 2nd post, I think the Republicans are motivated primarily by a desire to reduce abortions. If pregnant 15-year-olds aren't legally allowed to get married, then there is a higher likelihood that those pregnancies will be terminated.

this is kind of the problem with our politics. these people are supposed to be abiding by the will of the people. but here we have a small, and in reality non-representative, number of people passing these kinds of laws that are only about posturing and forcing further division.

If marriage is a religious rite,  how can the government make laws like a legal marriage age? 
Marriage is a contractual arrangement, and its dissolution is regulated by the state. It is considered so in order to make distributions of property more efficient and equitable. 

Interesting dichotomy in that the side who has the radical fringe whereby people should be able to gender transition at that age can't see fit to let people of the same age make an at least alterable life decision. Democrats are on a weird side of the issue, as are Republicans, who generally do not like divorce and state actors in personal or religious affairs. I'd like to see who is making the push and what the age is now vs. what is recommended. I'd bet Democrats, as is their wont from the Progressive Era, are looking to raise the age to protect women and that they're the ones who brought it to the floor of the legislature. 

If you think that a thread title is a misrepresentation, then the classy thing to do would be to say so in that thread, rather than clutter the board with another narcissistic "look at me" thread.
Yeah, the "classy" thing to do. Here I'll show you a factually accurate, yet unclassy way to go about a discussion.

Marriage is a contractual arrangement, and its dissolution is regulated by the state. It is considered so in order to make distributions of property more efficient and equitable. 

Interesting dichotomy in that the side who has the radical fringe whereby people should be able to gender transition at that age can't see fit to let people of the same age make an at least alterable life decision. Democrats are on a weird side of the issue, as are Republicans, who generally do not like divorce and state actors in personal or religious affairs. I'd like to see who is making the push and what the age is now vs. what is recommended. I'd bet Democrats, as is their wont from the Progressive Era, are looking to raise the age to protect women and that they're the ones who brought it to the floor of the legislature. 
Comparing gender transition and marriage doesn’t exactly match up imo, but I suppose it depends on what you think of how much control someone has over being transgendered. I think your quality of life  would improve the earlier you make the transition, although this is just my opinion. 

I think where Democrats get hung up is leaving the door open for a large gap in age between partners.

“Ah, the good ol’ days”

- GOP

I think where Democrats get hung up is leaving the door open for a large gap in age between partners.
I think that anybody that votes for these bills has that in mind. It goes back to the reformist Progressive Era and a mixture of Christianity/religion and feminism on the progressive side of reforming things. 

If marriage is a contract, why should minors be able to enter into it?

ETA And should their parents be allowed to enter such contracts for them?

Users who are viewing this thread