What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dodgeball is a tool of oppression (1 Viewer)

You're in a Chinese opium den, Timmy. This is where the sport of Dodgeball was invented in the 15th Century...by opium-addicted Chinamen. But back then, the Chinamen threw severed heads at each other instead of the A.D.A.A. approved balls we use today.

A.D.A.A.?

That's the American Dodgeball Association of America.

My good buddy Patches would like to know if it's still oppression if wrenches were used instead of balls. 

Well the radical left probably wouldn't claim me but there is a lot to agree with in that paper. As a "game" it is essentially a license to bully, it serves no real purpose. It doesn't teach any of the good lessons sport can teach. It's just a way for the bigger more athletic kids to hit smaller kids in the head with a ball at full speed, that's it.

Off topic, if you're going to use a loaded term like "radical left", this needs to be in the PSF imo. You're framing an inherently non-political issue in a political way (or deciding that it IS inherently political), so it shouldn't be in the FFA.

On topic, how can one rich guy have so many bad opinions. Didn't you used to be an interesting poster? Seems like everything you post now has some weird conservative bent to it. 

When I was in junior high we had to switch from volleyball to a soft nerd ball after a parent was concerned about her kid taking balls to his face.  Looking back I remember all the girls and unathletic kids hiding against the wall as far back as they could so they wouldn't get hit. 

Off topic, if you're going to use a loaded term like "radical left", this needs to be in the PSF imo. You're framing an inherently non-political issue in a political way (or deciding that it IS inherently political), so it shouldn't be in the FFA.

On topic, how can one rich guy have so many bad opinions. Didn't you used to be an interesting poster? Seems like everything you post now has some weird conservative bent to it. 
Drinking that Jordan Peterson kool-aid

Well the radical left probably wouldn't claim me but there is a lot to agree with in that paper. As a "game" it is essentially a license to bully, it serves no real purpose. It doesn't teach any of the good lessons sport can teach. It's just a way for the bigger more athletic kids to hit smaller kids in the head with a ball at full speed, that's it.
Survival of the fittest

And as if on cue, radical left/progressive poster claims this isn't political issue, agrees with the paper.

It is a political issue because the early education folks politicize it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it's also a game where the strong team members protect the weak team members - you know like how America protects, well, everybody.

Looking at you, Canada.

I bet those researchers were all picked last.

Yeah it's also a game where the strong team members protect the weak team members - you know like how America protects, well, everybody.

Looking at you, Canada.

I bet those researchers were all picked last.
Actually, good strategy involves sacrificing those weak members in an effort to take out the opposing teams stronger players.  Although, this is also a good lesson for kids to learn..... I guess.  :shrug:

If they hit them in the head they arent going to win very often.

Actually, good strategy involves sacrificing those weak members in an effort to take out the opposing teams stronger players.  Although, this is also a good lesson for kids to learn..... I guess.  :shrug:
That's not true.

If the other team is focused on getting your weaker team members our first, they're not paying attention to your better players - fatal mistake.

I don't get what the OP is trying to say. Does he agree or disagree that dodgeball is a tool of oppression? Just from a scientific and/or educational standpoint, it's pretty cut and dry to me. It's weak versus strong with no protection whatsoever. Feels like it'd be a perfect teaching tool for that. The analogy almost seems too simple - like something that would anger a simple-minded person? Maybe since the idea also prompts you empathize through the eyes of a ten year old it's just too relatable and the Canadian scientists struck a nerve :lol:

I think it's good for big athletic kids to be able to win by being big and athletic.  

I think it's good for fast kids tu be ale to win by being fast and smart kids to be able to win by being smart and kids who practice to be able to win by working hard. 

I think it's good for kids to be in a competitive environment where they can choose to improve in things that interest them. 

I understand that some big kids bully and i think it's good for them to be in a supervised game when they do so they can learn boundaries early on. It's much better than letting them figure those boundaries out on their own.

I am a lefty and was not one of the biggest kids in my class growing up. 

Yes, this thread belongs over there. There is a pool and a pond. The pond would be good for this.

NCCommish said:
A good game played well involves as much teamwork as any other game you play in gym class. A bad one isn't any worse lesson-wise than a game of soccer, basketball, etc where a couple athletes on each team hog all the action and everybody else just stands around. 

I love the whole pretending there is some high minded concept to this game, why it's practically 3 dimensional chess. Yeah right.

I think Pat Mahomes would be a good dodge ball player. Nate Newton may not have been as good. 

Could be worse. We could pretend that the only reason people play dodgeball is to hit weaker kids in the head and try to relate it to oppression.
We could also look at it clearly and remember what it was like. I played dodgeball long before anyone put much thought into it. And it was exactly what I said it was. An exercise in trying to further dominate smaller kids. Coaches were fine with that as apparently many of you are. I remember kids sitting out those days because they would invariably be targets. They weren't the big kids. They were the small unathlectic kids. So give the whole dodgeball is a game with redeeming qualities a rest. Anyone willing to be intellectually honest knows better.

We could also look at it clearly and remember what it was like. I played dodgeball long before anyone put much thought into it. And it was exactly what I said it was. An exercise in trying to further dominate smaller kids. Coaches were fine with that as apparently many of you are. I remember kids sitting out those days because they would invariably be targets. They weren't the big kids. They were the small unathlectic kids. So give the whole dodgeball is a game with redeeming qualities a rest. Anyone willing to be intellectually honest knows better.
Sounds like you had a neanderthal for a coach or gym teacher. With coaches like that all sports become a way of picking on the smaller weaker kids. 

Standard rules are when you hit a kid above the shoulders, you are out. 

So what you are complaining about is the equivalent of a gym teacher allowing tackling while playing flag football in gym class. The problem there must be flag football right? 

So if you feel that makes you intellectually honest, have at it.  

I was always one of the smallest guys in HS gym. For dodgeball, I'd hang out on the sides, scoop up a ball when the opportunity presented itself, run up and lightly toss the ball at the other team's best/biggest player's lower leg. I would piss them off to no end.

Now granted, I was small, but quick and reasonably athletic. I loved dodgeball because I found a way to hold my own against the bigger guys. I couldn't always do that in other sports/activities due to sheer size/strength differences (e.g. football, basketball). But that's just my experience.

The list of which famous athlete would be good at sport/game X always starts with Allen Iverson.

Users who are viewing this thread