What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Andrew Beck TE Patriots (1 Viewer)

Football Jones

Footballguy
It’s probably time to take a closer look at Beck with ASJ’s release. Anytime the frontrunner is Matt LaCosse, you’ve got a chance.

Beck is a UDFA, but the Pats gave him the most guaranteed money among their undrafted players and one of the higher figures in the league. He’s a good blocker with sure hands, but got scouts’ attention when he tested well athletically.

Underused at Texas, Beck is one of several quality fliers to gamble on late (4th round) in rookie drafts despite this being a down class. Beck could be a nice stash if he makes the 53.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to PFF, Beck dropped 7 passes last year while catching 28. That's a 20% drop rate. So it looks Texas was overusing him as a receiver. He might have a chance to stick around as a blocking TE and special teamer, but I don't see fantasy value.

You never know I guess, but unless you just pick one of them up on waivers with a spot to burn, it seems taking any Patriot te this year is a losing bet. 

Unless they bring ASJ back, with whatever is going on there over with. 

You would be passing on much better prospects to burn a 4th here. 
You might be correct depending on who’s on the board, but the quality of prospects in this class drops off quickly entering the 4th. For reference, I’m speaking of standard 14-team leagues so around 50 deep for a mid-to-late 4th.

My point was he’s a nice flier late in a poor class (the definition of a flier is a longshot).

According to PFF, Beck dropped 7 passes last year while catching 28. That's a 20% drop rate. So it looks Texas was overusing him as a receiver. He might have a chance to stick around as a blocking TE and special teamer, but I don't see fantasy value.
I’m not sure of PFF’s drop rate, but one scout in particular said he had watched almost every target & had never seen him drop a pass. Beck does show pretty soft hands on film. The thing with him is his testing (both athletically & in drills) was better than anticipated. 

With the Pats’ TE situation up in the air, I believe Beck is worth a pick, especially in this crappy class. He was a priority FA at a position where they’re weak. That said, Beck is a longshot to have any long-term FF value, but the same goes for any 4th-rounder.

Beck is one of several players late I’m interested in which is kind of unusual considering this particular class.

Fliers like Boobie Williams & Travis Homer (& some others) are guys you can typically get 50+ into drafts & they have some honest upside despite their longshot status. 

Making the 53 would be the first step to becoming a legit stash. 

Crap.  Now this thread will be on the front page for the next 5 years as FBJ tries to continually convince us that Beck is the next Rico Gathers.
LOL.

Some people (& you’re one of them), simply can’t grasp the concept of stashes. It must be beyond your capabilities.

Anyway, ASJ’s release prompted me to post this topic. I thought some people might be interested. I like him as a flier (late). Again, that essentially means Beck is unlikely to do anything long-term, but I like some combination of his talent/situation profile. 

I’ve hit on quite a few fliers over the years & it’s such a big advantage for your team because of the low acquisition cost. There’s little invested when they fail & your hit rate can be low (which it will be by their very nature). If you hit on one each season it can make a huge difference in a few years.

I don't think my league is deep enough for him to be a flier with what else is available on the WW. Also, just because New England used 2 prolific TEs does not mean that they will in the future. The Patriots adapt to the league and try and shape their roster to have the best advantage. At the time, many teams were focused on WRs, so it made sense for NE to grab 2 huge TEs and have them bully everyone around. They shaped their offense around their best playmaker, Gronk. If their next TE isn't great, and their WRs are decent, or their RBs are good, that's where the targets will go. NE has been stocking up on big WRs while the rest of the league focuses on small, quick guys. They're trying to get ahead of the curve again, and forcing the ball to a mediocre TE is not in that same vein. I would be surprised if NE has a top 20 TE this year. 

I don't think my league is deep enough for him to be a flier with what else is available on the WW. Also, just because New England used 2 prolific TEs does not mean that they will in the future. The Patriots adapt to the league and try and shape their roster to have the best advantage. At the time, many teams were focused on WRs, so it made sense for NE to grab 2 huge TEs and have them bully everyone around. They shaped their offense around their best playmaker, Gronk. If their next TE isn't great, and their WRs are decent, or their RBs are good, that's where the targets will go. NE has been stocking up on big WRs while the rest of the league focuses on small, quick guys. They're trying to get ahead of the curve again, and forcing the ball to a mediocre TE is not in that same vein. I would be surprised if NE has a top 20 TE this year. 
I wouldn’t disagree with your post. Beck is for deeper leagues, but I believe he’s a legit flier (in other words, worth a late draft pick) if only to monitor. 

TE is the red-headed stepchild of FF so anybody with any upside at all should at least be on the radar (especially in deeper leagues).

LOL.

Some people (& you’re one of them), simply can’t grasp the concept of stashes. It must be beyond your capabilities.

Anyway, ASJ’s release prompted me to post this topic. I thought some people might be interested. I like him as a flier (late). Again, that essentially means Beck is unlikely to do anything long-term, but I like some combination of his talent/situation profile. 
The Pats also signed Ben Watson who is suspended for four games (and old as dirt). Obviously at that point in the draft anyone is really worth a shot but I wouldn't count out Matt Lacosse so easily either. He's a decent player.

There's 4 guys who could emerge if they don't go get someone via trade. The questions are who & what kind of value they'll have.

Beck certainly belongs in the conversation due to what else they have (or lack thereof), but make no mistake, he's only a flier (AKA a longshot).

Right now, Beck is simply somebody to monitor. If he's too deep for your particular league, disregard.

I still think a Brate/Rudolph type end up here...just makes too much sense and we know the Pats are shopping for a TE per recent news.

Pats do not have the cap space for C Brate or K Rudolph and he refused to take a pay cut.
Put me in the camp that N.E. changes up with the big(ger) WR packages.
J Gordon, N Harry, and D Inman has decent size. P Dorsett becomes the backup to J Edelmen.

ASJ was probably going to replace J Doyle as the blocking TE. 

I still think a Brate/Rudolph type end up here...just makes too much sense and we know the Pats are shopping for a TE per recent news.
They need to figure out a Brate deal. No brainer.

But anyone panning for gold in the NE TE hills needs to look at their splits when Gronk is out. If there is no talent there they just phase out the position. 

If people want to speculate and have tons of roster space to take flyers, then sure . . . why not take a stab on Beck. But there are way more reasons to be skeptical than there are to be hopeful.

For starters, the Patriots did not really utilize the TE spot in the receiving game much until Gronk / Hernandez showed up. The team started showing up fantasy wise for the TE position in 2011. That's basically 10 years. Hernandez only really had one top season production wise. Bennett also had a decent year one year. So the question becomes, was the TE success more due to Gronk or more due to the system the Patriots ran? I would side with Gronk being Gronk as to why they did what they did.

As others have mentioned, NE is still exploring TE options. Watson will be back after the first month. ASJ could be re-signed (although I doubt that will happen). They could trade for someone or what for another more established TE to be cut from another team. And despite what he says, there is always a chance Gronk returns. Sure, based on the limited other options currently available, Beck has an opportunity to do something . . . but I still think he is a long shot at this point.

I am more inclined to think that NE just goes in a different direction offensively. They are good at identifying their strengths and adapting. So they will probably run more, utilize guys out of the backfield, or have WR sets with more receivers instead of a TE.

I haven't seen Beck play much, but from what I have seen he is more known as a blocker than a receiver (and not so great in pass protection). He has an injury history (broke his foot twice) that caused him to miss a lot of games. Again from what I read, he doesn't seem like he is good to great at anything . . . he seems like an so so UDFA prospect. To me, he seems more like Dwayne Allen than Gronk.

I think the best case for Beck would be earning a spot on the roster, playing some special teams, and catching a handful of passes in a very limited role as a receiver. I don't see him becoming the main TE this or any other year for the Patriots, as NE will likely either move away from using the TE as much as they have or they will bring someone else in (this year or next).

This is an excerpt from an article about Pro Days: Beck tested extremely well — 4.55 to 4.63 in the 40-yard dash, with a 34-inch vertical and elite 4.19 short shuttle. He said the feedback he received from scouts was positive, as he was able to show more running routes and catching passes than he did at Texas, though he did catch 28 passes for 281 yards and two touchdowns as a senior. With his strong Pro Day, Beck might have a chance to get drafted now.

There are some indicators I look for when trying to find sleepers. For one, they traded Jacob Hollister after signing Beck. Had Hollister stayed with the Pats, I'd venture to guess he'd be garnering a fair amount of interest among FFers. Beck wasn't used much as a receiver at Texas, but he surprised scouts in drills & with his athletic ability.

The idea is not to find the next Gronk, but to simply find a legit rosterable TE (the position is shallow as far as FF is concerned). Also, you may not even have to burn a draft pick (late). Beck might very well be available in your offseason waiver run(s). That said, I realize he's a longshot.

I'd also be interested to hear why Beck might be considered a better lottery ticket to own than Matt LaCosse as far as NE tight ends go. Both are essentially penny stocks.

If you want to stash him as your last pick or a waiver claim fine, but I'm not a believer. The greatest thing about ne is they change their sceme to fit their strengths, and their current strengths are rb depth and bigger wrs (plus Edelman). 

Watson will be back in a month and I do think there's a 50-50 shot Gronk comes back half way through the season making all of this moot anyway.

How do you rank Beck against the drafted TEs?

8    T. J. Hockenson      DET
20    Noah Fant      DEN
50    Irv Smith Jr.      MIN
52    Drew Sample      CIN
69    Josh Oliver      JAC
75    Jace Sternberger      GB
86    Kahale Warring      HOU
96    Dawson Knox      BUF
121    Trevon Wesco      NYJ
137    Foster Moreau      OAK
141    Zach Gentry      PIT
176    Kaden Smith      SF
224    Isaac Nauta      DET
228    Tommy Sweeney      BUF
231    Alizé Mack      NO
254     Caleb Wilson      ARI

Guys like 2nd round pick Drew Sample and potential Jared Cook replacement Foster Moreau are often falling pretty far in drafts. I see them as the tail end of the TEs with a reasonable shot at fantasy value, which is a tier up from the sleeper dart throws.

Then among the sleeper dart throws, there are some interesting options. Kaden Smith & Caleb Wilson both had big production in college. Mack had some pre-draft hype and landed in TE-friendly New Orleans. Gentry is huge and on a strong passing offense looking for targets. Wesco went in the 4th round. You can throw Beck in with these guys, but I wouldn't have him at the top of the pile.

I'd also be interested to hear why Beck might be considered a better lottery ticket to own than Matt LaCosse as far as NE tight ends go. Both are essentially penny stocks.
Not necessarily better, but Beck has a higher ceiling simply because he's a rookie. Beck has more headroom that LaCosse.

Anyway, I get it guys. Beck is only a flier & I've labeled him as such. We're talking 50-some picks deep in the rookie draft, though. I like guys like Beck, Boobie Williams, & Travis Homer (among others) late in this down class as cheap acquisitions with at least SOME legit upside.

How do you rank Beck against the drafted TEs?

8    T. J. Hockenson      DET
20    Noah Fant      DEN
50    Irv Smith Jr.      MIN
52    Drew Sample      CIN
69    Josh Oliver      JAC
75    Jace Sternberger      GB
86    Kahale Warring      HOU
96    Dawson Knox      BUF
121    Trevon Wesco      NYJ
137    Foster Moreau      OAK
141    Zach Gentry      PIT
176    Kaden Smith      SF
224    Isaac Nauta      DET
228    Tommy Sweeney      BUF
231    Alizé Mack      NO
254     Caleb Wilson      ARI

Guys like 2nd round pick Drew Sample and potential Jared Cook replacement Foster Moreau are often falling pretty far in drafts. I see them as the tail end of the TEs with a reasonable shot at fantasy value, which is a tier up from the sleeper dart throws.

Then among the sleeper dart throws, there are some interesting options. Kaden Smith & Caleb Wilson both had big production in college. Mack had some pre-draft hype and landed in TE-friendly New Orleans. Gentry is huge and on a strong passing offense looking for targets. Wesco went in the 4th round. You can throw Beck in with these guys, but I wouldn't have him at the top of the pile.
I haven't thought much about that. Really, this thread was inspired by ASJ's release which creates more of an opportunity & I thought Beck was an interesting deep prospect.

At a quick glance, I like him as much as anyone past Knox. Or put it this way, I wouldn't draft any of the guys past Knox. Just not enough upside (at least right now).

No one believes Beck is worthless. The pushback came when you advocated spending a 4th round rookie pick on him.

0<Becks value<4th round rookie pick

No one believes Beck is worthless. The pushback came when you advocated spending a 4th round rookie pick on him.

I did advocate a late 4th in a 14-team league. I sure did. ;) I gotta chuckle at the insinuation Beck is a reach 50-some players deep, especially in this class. That's a good one. You can't make this stuff up, LOL.

That said, I like some other fliers better as prospects (like Boobie Williams & Travis Homer). 

A fourth round rookie pick has very different value in ffpc type leagues where you cut down to 14 and you can take veteran talent in the draft and there's only 12 teams. With 168 players kept and 36 drafted a 4th round rookie pick is around the 200th player available. 

Football Jones and I play in a 14 team league with a rookie only draft and offseason rosters that go to 30 before cutting down to 24 in September.  So the 420th player is rostered.  Veterans don't become available until just after cut down, so the 4th round rookie is usually around the 50th best rookie and 400th overall player, instead of the 200th best overall player.  

There's a lot of different league formats out there and i think this is just simple miscommunication. 

A fourth round rookie pick has very different value in ffpc type leagues where you cut down to 14 and you can take veteran talent in the draft and there's only 12 teams. With 168 players kept and 36 drafted a 4th round rookie pick is around the 200th player available. 

Football Jones and I play in a 14 team league with a rookie only draft and offseason rosters that go to 30 before cutting down to 24 in September.  So the 420th player is rostered.  Veterans don't become available until just after cut down, so the 4th round rookie is usually around the 50th best rookie and 400th overall player, instead of the 200th best overall player.  

There's a lot of different league formats out there and i think this is just simple miscommunication. 
Good point. I've made it clear I took him late (50+). I figure by now most people are in 14-team dynasty leagues because of how the FF schedule works, but maybe not.

Anyway, this is an offshoot of my 'Late Rookie Discussion' thread where I talked about a few fliers like Beck, Boobie Williams, & Travis Homer.

-- It appears that the main pass-catching tight end role will come down to Watson, Anderson, Matt LaCosse, and Ryan Izzo. Undrafted rookie tight end Andrew Beck worked with the fullbacks (James Develin and rookie Jakob Johnson) during run game work.

this was in the article Faust linked in the Braxton Berrios thread.

-- It appears that the main pass-catching tight end role will come down to Watson, Anderson, Matt LaCosse, and Ryan Izzo. Undrafted rookie tight end Andrew Beck worked with the fullbacks (James Develin and rookie Jakob Johnson) during run game work.

this was in the article Faust linked in the Braxton Berrios thread.
Clearly 

Users who are viewing this thread