What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (1 Viewer)

It's the World Cup.  There's no such thing as running it up.
I would say you tone down the celebrations a bit after hitting 6 or 7 goals.  Maybe they did that, I didn't see it.  Twellman pointed out on twitter they should not be doing any sort of set-piece routines they may want to use later in the tournament.  There are some good teams at this thing that will give this team a challenge in the knock-outs.

I would say you tone down the celebrations a bit after hitting 6 or 7 goals.  Maybe they did that, I didn't see it.  Twellman pointed out on twitter they should not be doing any sort of set-piece routines they may want to use later in the tournament.  There are some good teams at this thing that will give this team a challenge in the knock-outs.
Agree with all of that.

And hate that they had this game first.

I'm not that knowledgeable about most of the players on the team, but aren't Lloyd and Pugh (who were both subbed in) two of the better goal scorers?  Kind of seems like the subs were intended to get more of the US women goals...not to go easy on Thailand.
probably more about getting the important offensive players a chance to get a run in and get game-ready than running up the score, even if running up the score doesn't hurt anybody but that little crying thai girl.

I only watched a bit- listened mostly- so didn't notice how they celebrated. but if they kept celebrating after 6 or 7... unless it was somebody's first ever WC goal- show some respect and leave that at home or for goals that genuinely matter.

I don't know the team very well, and didn't watch the game, but according to the listed positions it appears Pugh for Ertz was subbing offense for defense. Meaning, your guess seems correct.
They have very good attacking players on the bench that they may well need later. I can see how it looks but you have to have players ready to go if needed. That said, I felt bad for Thailand.

probably more about getting the important offensive players a chance to get a run in and get game-ready than running up the score, even if running up the score doesn't hurt anybody but that little crying thai girl.

I only watched a bit- listened mostly- so didn't notice how they celebrated. but if they kept celebrating after 6 or 7... unless it was somebody's first ever WC goal- show some respect and leave that at home or for goals that genuinely matter.
It was the celebration on the 9th (Rapinioe?) that seemed to rub people the wrong way. 

Also, be prepared during the next month to be repeatedly sucked into ignorant discussions as to whether the US women could beat the men.   :oldschoolrolleyes:
Given the results over the past week, the chances of having one of these conversations has gone way up.  In my experience, its best to smile and nod, say nothing.  Do not, under any circumstances, point out that the USWNT lost to a team of school boys in Dallas.

They could have scored 50 on Thailand and I wouldn’t have cared. I thought the celebrations after goal 7 or 8 were pretty classless though. I’m all for showing up your opponent and doing bat flips etc when on equal ground but that Thai team is obviously numerous levels worse than the US team. I just thought it got a bit stupid. 

The "would you say anything if the men did it?" Argument is so lame in this case.

Yes, if the men were doing choreographed celebration routines after dropping goal #9 on an overmatched group of semi-pros, they'd be crucified and ridiculed. 

Score as many as you can. The tournament structure demands it. But rapinoe sliding across the field at the end of a rout is absurd. 

They could have scored 50 on Thailand and I wouldn’t have cared. I thought the celebrations after goal 7 or 8 were pretty classless though. I’m all for showing up your opponent and doing bat flips etc when on equal ground but that Thai team is obviously numerous levels worse than the US team. I just thought it got a bit stupid. 
Yup. Just saw on CBS (TV) about the celebrations. 

Bad look.

Rapinoe seems to be involved in every celebration. Kinda seems like maybe the whole thing was just an excuse for her to wrap her arms and legs around sweaty Alex Morgan. Can't really kill her for that....

Last edited by a moderator:
The "would you say anything if the men did it?" Argument is so lame in this case.

Yes, if the men were doing choreographed celebration routines after dropping goal #9 on an overmatched group of semi-pros, they'd be crucified and ridiculed. 

Score as many as you can. The tournament structure demands it. But rapinoe sliding across the field at the end of a rout is absurd. 
Yep. The only team that deserves it is El Tri. Putos.

I dunno, if I played for the USWNT and had their level of success and got paid only a fraction of what our unsuccessful men make, I'd probably act like a donkey when I ran up the score too.  Curious what the ratings were yesterday compared to what the men drew in their opening round last year.  Oh, wait...  

[/hottake]

I do think that if accuse anyone of having “no class” on television, you should be forced to do it like Russell in Fat Albert.”

ALEXI:  “Rob, that reminded me of school in summertime.”

STONER: “How was it like school in summertime?”

ALEXI: “NO CLASS!”

question for the footy folk - are teams in the MWC as ####### pathetic as the Thai Stix were yesterday?  do we get double digit goals/score differentials ever?

look, i know our gals are phenomenal, but those Bangkok buffoons oughtta be ashamed - ridiculous ... or maybe the Women's governing body for having a field too large, which allowed these chix to get ##### slapped. 

meh. 

i enjoyed it. 

I dunno, if I played for the USWNT and had their level of success and got paid only a fraction of what our unsuccessful men make, I'd probably act like a donkey when I ran up the score too.  Curious what the ratings were yesterday compared to what the men drew in their opening round last year.  Oh, wait...  

[/hottake]
How successful you are or how much you get paid compared to the opposite sex is absolutely no excuse to act like an #######.  You're still representing the USA.  Show some class.

I kind of want them to get embarrassed and crushed by a lesser team soon.  :myhottake:

They're really really good at a sport that doesn't generate enough public interest (on a consistent basis) for them to get paid like male professionals. That sucks but that's life.

Other equality concessions that they're fighting for (like not being forced to play on garbage artificial turf) are very valid though.

But acting like a fool when you embarrass another team of women (who presumably are fighting for the same equality) is lame and irrelevant.

But I guess that's why it was a hot take.

except that talks about them scoring all the goals and not letting up which I don't think many are complaining about.  That's fine, score away, but don't act like a ##### when you are a vet scoring goal #9. Pretty simple.
what do they say in football? "IF YOU WANT THE CELEBRATIONS TO STOP THEN STOP THE OPPONENT!!1!!!!1"

i love it ... our ladies are ok in my book - let 'em be. 

there is a reason we are known as the ugly americans
did you feel that way in '92 when the Dream Team annihalated Angola, and Barkley got in a mixup with one of their players, and said afterwards "i thought he was gonna chuck a spear at me" (to resounding laughter and guffawing from the adoring press)?

did you feel that way in '92 when the Dream Team annihalated Angola, and Barkley got in a mixup with one of their players, and said afterwards "i thought he was gonna chuck a spear at me" (to resounding laughter and guffawing from the adoring press)?
yes and there is a reason we have been known as the ugly americans for decades

ok, fair enuff ... but our ladies didn't insult the Thais or ther culture afterwards (like Barkley did) ... this is a real ####### mountain outta a mole hill, imo.
they were being a$$$s

There was no reason for it. 

But I'm not arguing, to each his own, but there is a reason we are known in this world as 'the ugly americans'

We earned the nickname

they were being a$$$s

There was no reason for it. 

But I'm not arguing, to each his own, but there is a reason we are known in this world as 'the ugly americans'

We earned the nickname
Aside from Rapinoe's stupid celebration, what was so ugly about them celebrating a goal in the World Cup?  It's a huge deal for all of these players to notch a goal in the WC regardless of what the score was. 

What do you want out of someone like Pugh who scored her first ever WC goal to make it 11-0?  

It is such a tired routine. Jose bautista's bat flip in a critical situation drew plenty of ire. The phrase "act you have been there before" didnt come from a bunch of dudes watching women's sports.

How successful you are or how much you get paid compared to the opposite sex is absolutely no excuse to act like an #######.  You're still representing the USA.  Show some class.

I kind of want them to get embarrassed and crushed by a lesser team soon.  :myhottake:
Can you link some vids of them acting classless?  Soccer players celebrate when they score.  Both genders.  Were you whining when UofMiami players celebrated drubbing other teams?  

Aside from Rapinoe's stupid celebration, what was so ugly about them celebrating a goal in the World Cup?  It's a huge deal for all of these players to notch a goal in the WC regardless of what the score was. 

What do you want out of someone like Pugh who scored her first ever WC goal to make it 11-0?  
Exactly

Users who are viewing this thread