What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official US Women's soccer thread: Gold Cup Final- US 1 - Brazil 0! (3 Viewers)

question for the footy folk - are teams in the MWC as ####### pathetic as the Thai Stix were yesterday?  do we get double digit goals/score differentials ever?

look, i know our gals are phenomenal, but those Bangkok buffoons oughtta be ashamed - ridiculous ... or maybe the Women's governing body for having a field too large, which allowed these chix to get ##### slapped. 

meh. 

i enjoyed it. 
no.

the differential is huge in the women's game. there are still countries that limit what women can and can't do- let alone provide funding for a sport like soccer.  

as I mentioned early in the thread- title IX was huge in developing women's sports in the US, and at a time when the rest of even the non-misogynistic world wasn't. for a long while, a lot of players for other countries in the women's world cup have been US dual-nationals, born and raised here, playing college soccer. with the growth of the professional game over the last ten or so years for women- here, but also through europe and selectively in s america, countries' reliance on US players has diminished. so those countries and players get even more development while the others languish. 

you also have to take into consideration that each world region gets a certain amount of automatic spots in the WC... Asia must be particularly weak with a team like Thailand making it. 

the men come down to money, population, soccer-culture, and generational talents. the US is starting to push #1, has #2, growing #3 with more access, parents who played and can teach their kids who have grown up with an actual pro league as a dream job, with earlier access to professional academies. #4 hasn't happened yet- although we have some younger players who might be (pulisic, adams, weah, reyna). the US will need all four to click before we start genuinely pushing the top powers on more than a one-off situation.

I'm not here to argue with anyone

Everyone knows the term the ugly american.  It's all over the international press that once again we were being ugly.  A pair of random pictures on the web doesn't changed that
Yeah, we don't have a monopoly on being poor sports (and we weren't yesterday, for the record - that's soccer).  That's my point.  What non-athlete Americans due to earn that reputation doesn't belong in here.  The very definition of Ugly American has absolutely nothing to do with what our women's team did yesterday. 

no.

the differential is huge in the women's game. there are still countries that limit what women can and can't do- let alone provide funding for a sport like soccer.  

as I mentioned early in the thread- title IX was huge in developing women's sports in the US, and at a time when the rest of even the non-misogynistic world wasn't. for a long while, a lot of players for other countries in the women's world cup have been US dual-nationals, born and raised here, playing college soccer. with the growth of the professional game over the last ten or so years for women- here, but also through europe and selectively in s america, countries' reliance on US players has diminished. so those countries and players get even more development while the others languish. 

you also have to take into consideration that each world region gets a certain amount of automatic spots in the WC... Asia must be particularly weak with a team like Thailand making it. 

the men come down to money, population, soccer-culture, and generational talents. the US is starting to push #1, has #2, growing #3 with more access, parents who played and can teach their kids who have grown up with an actual pro league as a dream job, with earlier access to professional academies. #4 hasn't happened yet- although we have some younger players who might be (pulisic, adams, weah, reyna). the US will need all four to click before we start genuinely pushing the top powers on more than a one-off situation.
:thumbup:

much obliged, GB ... i appreciate learning something new about this endeavor ... i kinda had the feeling that field size expansion (from 16 to 24) prolly played a huge part in the gargantuan disparity here ... and i guess USA women's collegiate soccer is akin to men's NCAA hoops (inasmuch that foreign players come to cut their teeth), as per your fleshing out. 

thanks for taking the time - great post.

Can you tell me how the ratings yesterday stacked up to the most recent ratings of the men's game on Sunday? 
come on man. We're talking apples and oranges.

Its a world cup game vs a friendly

The first game of the US men's world cup (group state against Ghana)  5 years ago drew 11 million viewers.  That's the fairer comparison (I can't find the ratings for yesterday anywhere). And again, that was 5 years ago. Even with the men's team relatively in the toilet at the moment, they'd draw a much larger number if they were playing a WC game tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you tell me how the ratings yesterday stacked up to the most recent ratings of the men's game on Sunday? 
you want to compare a meaningless friendly vs venezuela vs the first US game of the women's world cup? apples to schnozzberries, IMO.

I'd say, if you want to play that game- compare the US men's 1st game in the 2014 WC vs yesterday. :shrug:  

The first game of the US men's world cup (group state against Ghana)  5 years ago drew 11 million viewers.  That's the fairer comparison (I can't find the ratings for yesterday anywhere)

you want to compare a meaningless friendly vs venezuela vs the first US game of the women's world cup? apples to schnozzberries, IMO.

I'd say, if you want to play that game- compare the US men's 1st game in the 2014 WC vs yesterday. :shrug:  
wrong fruit, but :hifive:

The first game of the US men's world cup (group state against Ghana)  5 years ago drew 11 million viewers.  That's the fairer comparison (I can't find the ratings for yesterday anywhere). And again, that was 5 years ago. Even with the men's team relatively in the toilet at the moment, they'd draw a much larger number if they were playing a WC game tomorrow.
But they can't qualify for a WC....so why are they paid far more than their female counterparts who do qualify and do win?

Found two articles on World Soccer talk about 2018 TV ratings. Men's team vs Women.

In a year with no competitive games with the men missing the world cup, they drew and average of 431,000 viewers over the course of 11 friendlies.

In a year where the women had 2 competitive tournaments and 4 world cup qualifiers (a total of 20 games) they averaged 302,000 viewers

So with the belief and hype of the men's team at its lowest point in probably 20 years, they drew 42% more viewers than the women. And this is a 47% ratings drop from the year before (women suffered a 20% drop)

I dont know what the pay gap is for national team duty. And its still irrelevant when we're talking about Rapinoe's nonsense celebrations, which is what this is about.

But they can't qualify for a WC....so why are they paid far more than their female counterparts who do qualify and do win?
Uh, because winning isn't what brings in the money. Its a business.

By your logic, the players on the championship team in the CFL should be making more money than the Arizona Cardinals.

Found two articles on World Soccer talk about 2018 TV ratings. Men's team vs Women.

In a year with no competitive games with the men missing the world cup, they drew and average of 431,000 viewers over the course of 11 friendlies.

In a year where the women had 2 competitive tournaments and 4 world cup qualifiers (a total of 20 games) they averaged 302,000 viewers

So with the belief and hype of the men's team at its lowest point in probably 20 years, they drew 42% more viewers than the women. And this is a 47% ratings drop from the year before (women suffered a 20% drop)

I dont know what the pay gap is for national team duty. And its still irrelevant when we're talking about Rapinoe's nonsense celebrations, which is what this is about.
So the women are getting paid less to play more games.  That's okay with you?

lol @ 'nonsense' celebration.  She scored a goal in WC play.  She's permitted a celebration.  I assure you the men don't just walk back to their side after they score in lopsided action. 

Let's look at it another way.  The Portland Thorns  averaged 16,959 fans per game in 2018.  That's more than the following MLS teams drew:

Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew
Colorado Rapids
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Philadelphia Union

Shouldn't then the Women's team of Portland earn more on average than the male players for the teams who draw less in average attendance?  If not, why not?

Here you go:

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1138547110079369216

And...

Why should I care about UofMiami?   :confused:
So the women are getting paid less to play more games.  That's okay with you?

lol @ 'nonsense' celebration.  She scored a goal in WC play.  She's permitted a celebration.  I assure you the men don't just walk back to their side after they score in lopsided action. 
I hadn't seen this yet until now. agree with GM here. it's like scoring a touchdown in the Superbowl. you telling me somebody's going to just toss the ball to the ref and walk back to the sidelines, regardless of the score?

By your logic, the players on the championship team in the CFL should be making more money than the Arizona Cardinals.
it's not logic. it's hottakethis

Let's look at it another way.  The Portland Thorns  averaged 16,959 fans per game in 2018.  That's more than the following MLS teams drew:

Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew
Colorado Rapids
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Philadelphia Union

Shouldn't then the Women's team of Portland earn more on average than the male players for the teams who draw less in average attendance?  If not, why not?
what's their TV ratings like? 

Chicago Fire
Columbus Crew
Colorado Rapids
FC Dallas
Houston Dynamo
Philadelphia Union

My understanding is the Thorns are a bit of an outlier. How'd the rest of the teams in the league do with attendance?

edit: nevermind, I looked up the numbers and it's exactly what you'd expect. This is a silly line of discussion anyhow.

Now you're comparing apples to oranges.  

Again, the most popular soccer event on television in the U.S. was the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup Final. It was the most watched soccer match in American history with nearly 26.7 million combined viewers, more than the 2015 NBA Finals and Stanley Cup.  If winning isn't what brings money in, why the uptick in ratings over here?  And, do you think the TV network had trouble finding advertising dollars for this?  Moreover, look at who is filling the commercial airtime right now....big hitters.  I'm guessing that Nike ad wasn't filmed on the cheap.

I hadn't seen this yet until now. agree with GM here. it's like scoring a touchdown in the Superbowl. you telling me somebody's going to just toss the ball to the ref and walk back to the sidelines, regardless of the score?

it's not logic. it's hottakethis
9-0 in soccer is like 63-0 in the NFL (or some other absurd lopsided score...you pick).

Yes, if an NFL player scored and did a celebration at that point, they would be correctly chastised by almost everyone. 

9-0 in soccer is like 63-0 in the NFL (or some other absurd lopsided score...you pick).

Yes, if an NFL player scored and did a celebration at that point, they would be correctly chastised by almost everyone. 
disagree. or at least think we'd be having the same discussion.

disagree. or at least think we'd be having the same discussion.
and everyone would call those chastising it GRUMPY, and if the league reprimanded them we'd see a ton of "IT STANDS FOR NO FUN LEAGUE!!!! IF YOU WANNA STOP THE CELEBRATIONS THEN STOP THE OPPONENT!!"

My understanding is the Thorns are a bit of an outlier. How'd the rest of the teams in the league do with attendance?

edit: nevermind, I looked up the numbers and it's exactly what you'd expect. This is a silly line of discussion anyhow.
I AM DOING MY BEST TO STAND UP FOR WOMEN!!!!1111

and everyone would call those chastising it GRUMPY, and if the league reprimanded them we'd see a ton of "IT STANDS FOR NO FUN LEAGUE!!!! IF YOU WANNA STOP THE CELEBRATIONS THEN STOP THE OPPONENT!!"
I think you are confusing running up the score, and celebrating that you are running up the score - against a clearly inferior opponent.

I have not seen anyone complain about running up the score.

Heard one of the players (missed her name) talking on the 'Did You Celebrate Too Much' subject...

"If our crime is joy, then I'll take it."

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I am all for them getting more money, don't get me wrong. Surely Chuck Blazer had an account or two kept secret that we could dip into and give to the team. 

I think you are confusing running up the score, and celebrating that you are running up the score - against a clearly inferior opponent.

I have not seen anyone complain about running up the score.
no, i specifically meant football players celebrating after 63-0, etc ... i stand by it

no, i specifically meant football players celebrating after 63-0, etc ... i stand by it
Call me grumpy then - I don't want to see Alabama players celebrating at 63-0 against the Citadel 

I am not saying you can't be happy.  And I am not saying you can't try to score on every play.  But, at some point you have to realize that beating, or even scoring another TD against the Citadel is not really an "accomplishment".

Call me grumpy then - I don't want to see Alabama players celebrating at 63-0 against the Citadel 

I am not saying you can't be happy.  And I am not saying you can't try to score on every play.  But, at some point you have to realize that beating, or even scoring another TD against the Citadel is not really an "accomplishment".
so, lemme get this straight ... you're comparing a meaningless week 2 CF game to the scope of the World Cup for these ladies? 

ok. 

This will be Rapinoe's last WC appearance.  She scored a goal and celebrated.  Oh, the horror.  Let's hope the US loses to teach the team a lesson in celebration management. 

That game yesterday wasn’t nfl v nfl though. It’s like nfl vs maybe mid-level college team. 

If the Patriots were up 77-0 against the Toledo Whatevers and they were doing end zone flips I think they would be similarly chastised. However, that wouldn’t be the super bowl for that sport like this is. 

Actually this is getting kind of dumb 

Particularly if the super bowl was a pool play scenario. 

I just watched Goals 4-8 of Germany beating Estonia in a Euro qualification match the same day - no celebrations, other than handshakes as they were walking back up field.  Germany continued to attack, but never acted like each successive goal was a potential game-winner.

:shrug:

I think the ladies did themselves a disservice here.  

Do you think the other teams that play Thailand will take it easy on them?  Goal differential matters in this....
No one cares about the number of goals. It’s the stupid celebrations. You rip your jersey off in the final, not opening rout of a game in pool play.  It’s like if I spiked the ball in the face of my eight year old every time I score a td. (Disclaimer: I do. Every time)

I just watched Goals 4-8 of Germany beating Estonia in a Euro qualification match the same day - no celebrations, other than handshakes as they were walking back up field.  Germany continued to attack, but never acted like each successive goal was a potential game-winner.

I think the ladies did themselves a disservice here.  
maybe because they didn't wanna hear the Estonian lasses say "SCOREBOARD WWII!!!"?

Do you think the other teams that play Thailand will take it easy on them?  Goal differential matters in this....
Again - I don't think anyone is complaining about running up the score.  Its the unnecessary celebrations for beating a bad team.

(Also - "goal differential matters" is a bit of a red herring.  If you are expecting to win the World Cup, or even getting to the Final - then goal differential does not matter when up to 3 teams in a 4-team group will advance... Sure, Sweden might put 14 past Thailand - but if you can't beat Sweden, are you really ready to win the World Cup? And, that is only for the difference in advancing as first or second in the group.  Beat Sweden - then celebrate... )

Aside from Rapinoe's stupid celebration, what was so ugly about them celebrating a goal in the World Cup?  It's a huge deal for all of these players to notch a goal in the WC regardless of what the score was. 

What do you want out of someone like Pugh who scored her first ever WC goal to make it 11-0?  
@Sinn Fein your take?

No one cares about the number of goals. It’s the stupid celebrations. You rip your jersey off in the final, not opening rout of a game in pool play.  It’s like if I spiked the ball in the face of my eight year old every time I score a td. (Disclaimer: I do. Every time)
yeah, that's not what they did.  At all.  

ooooookkkkkk .... but a week 2 CF game compares to the elation/finality of the WC?

what if 'bama did it vs Clemson in a Nat'l Championship game?

:popcorn:

If the US beats France 13-0 in the final - I'll still be disappointed if they are still celebrating goals 6-13 they way they did against Thailand.

I don't care if you run the score up - that is what you trained to do.  But sportsmanship goes beyond playing to win, or even playing to your best potential.

Users who are viewing this thread