What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Does anyone have tips or tricks for learning difficult material? (1 Viewer)

bosoxs45

Footballguy
I'm trying to teach myself calculus for fun and never been a math person.  What kind of tips or tricks do you have for memorizing the rules?

I'm trying to teach myself calculus for fun and never been a math person.  What kind of tips or tricks do you have for memorizing the rules?

in order to grasp it, you need to first understand algebra & trigonometry, 

if you have a solid base there, then calculus shouldn't be too difficult.   When you get to vector calculus (x, y, z = 3 dimensions) it gets quite a bit more difficult, imo.

I don't remember any 'cheats' from my days doing calc. sory.

in order to grasp it, you need to first understand algebra & trigonometry, 

if you have a solid base there, then calculus shouldn't be too difficult.   When you get to vector calculus (x, y, z = 3 dimensions) it gets quite a bit more difficult, imo.

I don't remember any 'cheats' from my days doing calc. sory.
This can't be stressed enough.  The basic calculus concepts are fairly simple.  The algebra and trig gets you bogged down.

No tips or tricks, but if you commit to helping someone else learn calculus you will learn it faster. Start as a volunteer tutor at the public library. Call it "Calculus Prep". What will they do..... fire you? Then when you can competently answer all their answers start tutoring Calculus 1. If that sounds like the long boring way of learning Calculus, then you are well on your way!

If you're able to follow the notation, just practice practice practice.

If you're not able to follow the notation, find a book or video that explains things well in English.

Probably the best way to learn calculus would be start from the beginning and work your way up organically. Either take classes at a CC or just find a text book and start from the last thing you understand. You could probably do basic derivative and integration stuff just by memorizing the formulas, but anything beyond that needs a stronger foundation than what can be achieved by just picking up a differential equation book or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably the best way to learn calculus would be start from the beginning and work your way up organically. Either take classes at a CC or just find a text book and start from the last thing you understand. You could probably do basic derivative and integration stuff just by memorizing the formulas, but anything beyond that needs a stronger foundation than what can be achieved by just picking up a differential equation book or whatever.
I think he’s the type that just posts random threads and doesn’t come back to them 

I don't know what's crazier; that you think learning calculus is fun or that you think you're going to stick with it long enough to actually learn it.

If you study calculus drunk, make sure you perform the calculus drunk.  

-my freshman roommate, probably

Be smart.

If that isn't an option you are screwed.

YWIA, HTH, WAY, etc., etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pick up another language "for fun", it's much more rewarding. 
:goodposting:  I have always wanted to improve my German (studied it in HS & college).

However, I think practically it would be better if I start on Spanish in the near future.

Not sure what you're using right now, but I'd suggest Khan Academy's calc videos. They're fairly short and tractable, and you can go back to their pre-calc / algebra videos if you need to brush up on fundamentals. Their video series aren't as rigorous as actual collegiate courses, but you cover most of the same concepts and it doesn't cost anything. 

This can't be stressed enough.  The basic calculus concepts are fairly simple.  The algebra and trig gets you bogged down.
Yeah - exactly.

I got through calc by mostly visualizing the "space" - in a geometric sense.

I never was good at "solving the math", but I understood it enough to use it in other things later.

Does this make sense to you?

If you're able to follow the notation, just practice practice practice.

If you're not able to follow the notation, find a book or video that explains things well in English.
It took about 10 minutes (oh, who am I kidding, two weeks) to figure out that X wasn't scared of anything, and he was talking about X2

Users who are viewing this thread