What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Backing into parking spots (1 Viewer)

When parking in a parking lot, do you pull in or back in?

• Pull in

Votes: 131 73.6%
  • Back in

Votes: 47 26.4%

• Total voters

TheIronSheik

SUPER ELITE UPPER TIER
When I worked for the oil companies, it was corporate policy that you backed into your spots.  The reason was because if something went wrong at the rig, you could hope in the car and go without doing a three point turn.  It was safer.  Which is funny, because when you went into the Rig Manager's trailer, he always made you take your boots off so you didn't track mud around.  When I pointed it out that you'd have to run in socks to your car, no one seemed to find it as funny/interesting as me.  Whatevs.  

But now I work at a company that really doesn't have a chance of exploding.  Or anything too crazy more so than any other company.  But I notice a lot of people backing into spots.  I know it's not a company policy so it just makes me wonder, why is this becoming a thing?  Backing into a spot seems much more troublesome in the real world.  

What are you and why?

There is a special circle of hell devoted to people who routinely back in.  I find it so annoying having to wait for some guy inching his way backwards into a parking spot while a line of people wait behind him.  These are probably the same people who recline their seats on airplanes.  

I hate this people too. Now I'm in a rural area so there is ample parking spots but 90% of those backing in are very poor at it and ruin at least 1 additional parking spot.

I back in so it's easier to get out after 2 ginormous vehicles pull into the spots on either side of me. 
Yup, this.

My work parking is full of big pickups, that also back in to their spots.  I back in to make it is easier and safer when I leave for the day.

And it's not super busy in the morning so it's not like I'm holding up traffic by backing in.

Not to get off topic but a HUGE pet peeve of mine is people that drive through an empty or mostly empty parking lot and disregard the lines.  I've seen a ton of cars and people almost get hit because some jackhole is flying through the parking lot.

Not to get off topic but a HUGE pet peeve of mine is people that drive through an empty or mostly empty parking lot and disregard the lines.  I've seen a ton of cars and people almost get hit because some jackhole is flying through the parking lot.
This is at the very top of my list of “Things other people do that absolutely drive me crazy but I feel justified in doing myself because I’m really good and careful about it”.  

:bag:  

I almost never back in unless it's a really tight parking space and I have to park there in my wife's SUV.  Having said that I routinely pull through spaces to get the same benefit of exiting faster without having to take up the time to back in.

Also, if you are good at backing in it's really not that much more time than the backing out process - I figure it evens out for people having to wait on my overall because I can be gone faster.  So, a little confused why people get that irritated with it - as long as you know what you are doing.  People that do it and it takes them 3 shots are annoying as hell.

I will do this occasionally but never really speed when I do it.

I don't back in if there's anyone behind me. But will try to do it in parking garages when I'm attending sporting event/concert and also at my kid's school functions when everyone's leaving at the same time. Just makes life a lot easier when there are tons of cars leaving at once and nobody wants to let you out

voted pull in, but i will pull all the way into the space ahead of mine if there's no concrete barrier preventing it.

that way, i get the benefit of not having to use Reverse at all.
I'm surprised how many people I see settle for that first space which means them backing out for no apparent reason.

I only back in when I’m in a parking garage or lot attending a sporting or other event when I know it will be almost impossible to otherwise get out when it’s over.  
I’ve done this,  but I’ve also gone through phases of just slowly backing out until somebody had no choice but to let me into the line of cars exiting, and more recently to just staying in my seat and  letting the crowd jam the aisles for 5-10 minutes, then letting the garage traffic thin out and exiting more easily. I find I am way happier losing that time than fighting through crowds.

of course, if I’m not driving, I’m with my friend who is the polar opposite and we are nearly sprinting towards the exits at or slightly before the final whistle, and practically nudging pedestrians out of the way once we are in the car....

This is at the very top of my list of “Things other people do that absolutely drive me crazy but I feel justified in doing myself because I’m really good and careful about it”.  

:bag:  
+1

And funny, I gave thought of posting this very same topic earlier this week... because at my current office a LOT of folks back in, including my boss who parks in the same spot every morning (since he's here hours before anyone else) and even turns his front wheels about 20-30% to the left.  I would suppose it's just so he can hit the gas and turn out of the spot towards where he wants to go.  Odd, regardless.

I used to back in to a spot at my old job.  It was on top of the 3-level parking garage and real easy to get into.  If you have to spend extra time to back in, you're a buffoon.  

Questions for those who HATE waiting moments for another driver to back in to a spot:  How do you feel about waiting for someone to back out of a spot?
When they make a hash out of it, block traffic in both directions, and then have to pull out and back in again to straighten up, it feels much worse than mere moments.

When exiting, I hope they either wait until the lane is clear to make their move like a normal person, or back into me and pay for a new door. Anyway, it should only take one attempt to get out of a spot, so I am way more forgiving if I have to stop for them.

I pull in 90% of the time.  My back up cameras and sensors work way better then me trying to poke the hood of my car into the lane while leaving. 

Very funny to recently have my son, who was in Driver's Ed at the time, give my wife a hard time for doing that.

I only back in when I’m in a parking garage or lot attending a sporting or other event when I know it will be almost impossible to otherwise get out when it’s over.  
This makes sense, we do it often at school events where the parking lots aren't always designed the best!

What I don't get is when someone backs into/pulls thru a spot (front of vehicle facing aisle) at a grocery store or Costco or something like that. It's more difficult to get the stuff out of your cart and into he trunk!

Questions for those who HATE waiting moments for another driver to back in to a spot:  How do you feel about waiting for someone to back out of a spot?
I don’t wait.  I have the right of way and they wait for me.  

I'm surprised how many people I see settle for that first space which means them backing out for no apparent reason.
If I'm with my wife or her family, it's almost a guarantee I hear some comment about how there was a spot closer and how I should have driven around the lot longer looking for a better spot.

In certain lots if I don't back in I can easily get parked in by the cars around me.  Sorry that you have to wait 10 seconds for me to back in so I don't have to wait 45 minutes for you to grocery shop.

If no one is around, back in all you want.  But don't drive past a spot when you have another vehicle behind you so you can back in.  It's not the same as when you're leaving because you aren't backing out to leave when a vehicle is there.  You wait until it's clear and then you back out.  So do the same thing if you back in (wait until it's clear or don't back in). 

Plus, it often takes drivers more than one attempt to back into a spot.  It usually doesn't take more than one to back out to leave.  If it does, you already suck and I already hate you so you're going to aggravate me no matter what you do.

I have no problem with people backing into a spot if they are a good at handling a vehicle and can park with relative efficiency that way.  It's the hot shot who thinks he can handle it but ends up reversing and pulling forward multiple time because he can't judge anything for #### that gets me.  

If no one is around, back in all you want.  But don't drive past a spot when you have another vehicle behind you so you can back in.  It's not the same as when you're leaving because you aren't backing out to leave when a vehicle is there.  You wait until it's clear and then you back out.  So do the same thing if you back in (wait until it's clear or don't back in). 

Plus, it often takes drivers more than one attempt to back into a spot.  It usually doesn't take more than one to back out to leave.  If it does, you already suck and I already hate you so you're going to aggravate me no matter what you do.
This guy gets it.

I pull in 90% of the time.  My back up cameras and sensors work way better then me trying to poke the hood of my car into the lane while leaving. 
Is that the opposite of pulling out?

Sorry, first thing that came to mind when I saw who posted it... :tebow:

I have no problem with people backing into a spot if they are a good at handling a vehicle and can park with relative efficiency that way.  It's the hot shot who thinks he can handle it but ends up reversing and pulling forward multiple time because he can't judge anything for #### that gets me.  
Bingo. If you’re good.. have at it! Unless it’s crowded, then just pull in. Unless it’s a sporting/event like shoook said. 

For those that complain of having to wait for those backing in...its just a trade off for waiting for someone to back out.
No, it’s not. Backing out is quick and requires less precision. Have you ever seen someone have to back out and pull back in multiple times because they didn’t back out right? No. You haven’t. 

Sidenote, not sure if it’s the case everywhere, but in Memphis It’s crazy how much higher the rate of folks in the African American / Black community who back in. No idea why, but in certain parts of town you’ll see almost all cars backed in. It’s SO pronounced there are nicknames for it that less couth folks use for the phenomenon.

Users who are viewing this thread