What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Solar Minimum (1 Viewer)

I believe in natural variation.  I believe in cycles. I believe it would be a bad thing if we cause those natural variations to swing even more extremely.

How about we try to live in a clean environment instead of a ####hole?

It does not have to be any more complicated than that.
I cant argue with that.  But what does that have to do with the sun having cycles??

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone think this has legs?   I do.....There is no reason I can think of to reject that the Sun has cycles...and those cycles could be responsible for global warming or cooling.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1135628/weather-forecast-long-range-climate-change-space-weather-solar-minimum-space-news
that doesn't change the fact that CO2 absorbs solar heat more than the rest of naturally occurring atmosphere, and the atmosphere has more CO2 than ever before.

Here's a nice video from 2011 that explains. This is where climate change denialists started with the entire "Hey, its sun cycles!"

But the study was done by solar physicists not climatologists,  and they didnt say anything about climates on earth.

https://youtu.be/adAvYK1O-ic

Last edited by a moderator:
... and everyone knows that 99% of global climate scientists are politically motivated crisis actors. Get with it.

Can't we just wait until the sun moves into the red dwarf phase, naturally cooling the earth?

I mean, that's only a billion years from now or so, but who's counting?

Though I suppose the people who believe the Earth is 6000 years old don't believe in that either

Anyone think this has legs?   I do.....There is no reason I can think of to reject that the Sun has cycles...and those cycles could be responsible for global warming or cooling.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1135628/weather-forecast-long-range-climate-change-space-weather-solar-minimum-space-news
I’d really like to see some sort of data supporting it before I’ll believe it. Show me these cycles exist first, then show me the earth temps, on a graph with 2 lines, and the correlation. (I don’t expect you to make me a graph) Also, as temperatures keep increasing, if this does have legs then we’re screwed in 15ish years when it swings back the other way and warms up. 

I really don’t understand how or why this seems like a partisan issue. 

I’d really like to see some sort of data supporting it before I’ll believe it. Show me these cycles exist first, then show me the earth temps, on a graph with 2 lines, and the correlation. (I don’t expect you to make me a graph) Also, as temperatures keep increasing, if this does have legs then we’re screwed in 15ish years when it swings back the other way and warms up. 

These cycles exist.  There isn’t debate about that. They just typically have only a very small affect on earth’s temperature. 

These cycles exist.  There isn’t debate about that. They just typically have only a very small affect on earth’s temperature. 
Right, i meant show me the data supporting it in sunspot activity compared to earth temps. I didn’t mean to imply they were fictional. I think it’s something to consider when discussing the warming of the planet, but that article essentially deflects or dismisses humans part in climate change, and claims “the top of the atmosphere was 10 times warmer in the ‘58 solar maximum” for whatever that’s worth, essentially downplaying climate change as normal ebb and flow of nature. 

It shouldn't be but one party embraces religion, however illogical it may be, over science.

There seems to be some partisan debate on climate change.

Right, i meant show me the data supporting it in sunspot activity compared to earth temps. I didn’t mean to imply they were fictional. I think it’s something to consider when discussing the warming of the planet, but that article essentially deflects or dismisses humans part in climate change, and claims “the top of the atmosphere was 10 times warmer in the ‘58 solar maximum” for whatever that’s worth, essentially downplaying climate change as normal ebb and flow of nature. 
I agree it completely did that.   There are some who still disagree that climate change is truly man made.  I found the article to be interesting and it will be even more interesting to see over the next couple years if the global temperature cools.  Heck the greenhouse effect may offset this cooling, but I don't think it's entirely reasonable to completely dismiss it.  Just as it isn't entirely reasonable to dismiss global warming as man made.   Full disclosure, I am not entirely convinced there aren't other factors beyond humanity, that could lead tot he rising earth temperature. And as I have stated in other threads, I'm not entirely convinced it is that bad if it's true.

Methane (and water vapor for that matter) are much stronger greenhouse gases.  Just a point of fact.
Right, but my point was dinosaurs aren’t around any more to the best of my knowledge. Alex Jones May beg to differ.

I agree it completely did that.   There are some who still disagree that climate change is truly man made.  I found the article to be interesting and it will be even more interesting to see over the next couple years if the global temperature cools.  Heck the greenhouse effect may offset this cooling, but I don't think it's entirely reasonable to completely dismiss it.  Just as it isn't entirely reasonable to dismiss global warming as man made.   Full disclosure, I am not entirely convinced there aren't other factors beyond humanity, that could lead tot he rising earth temperature. And as I have stated in other threads, I'm not entirely convinced it is that bad if it's true.
You might find this interesting to read:  https://skepticalscience.com/print.php?r=448

A new grand solar minimum would not trigger another LIA (Little Ice Age); in fact, the maximum 0.3°C cooling would barely make a dent in the human-caused global warming over the next century, likely between 1 and 5°C, depending on how much we manage to reduce our fossil fuel consumption and greenhouse gas emissions. While this is equivalent to about a decade's worth of human-caused warming, it's also important to bear in mind that any solar cooling would only be temporary, until the end of the solar minimum.

Problem with that is, of course, the speculation of how much the earth will warm.  This is still just a guess.  Actually, it's a guess on both sides.
Except one side guesses with 99% of the scientists on their side with boatloads of data and ####

I would ask why we're even bothering to argue with a climate change skeptic, but this entire sub-forum runs on arguments between people who will never change their minds, so why not? 

This seems relatively simple. I don't think anyone questions the concept of cycles. They happen. The concern is our direct impact to those cycles and keeping them in line with what would happen naturally vs our impacts and making them worse

HTH

Wait - this is their climate expert they are relying on for this article? :lmao:

Vijay Jayaraj, an environmental scientist for The Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation – a Christian group which rejects man-made global warming claims – believes there is evidence to suggest that global warming is actually caused by the Sun’s cycles.

And it keeps getting better. The author of that article has these other gems!

Life after death: Man TELEPORTED to desert after near death experience

Alien hunt is being RUINED by Elon Musk and SpaceX’s 12,000 SATELLITES, astronomers claim

Alien city found on dark side of the Moon in NASA images - shock claim

Alien hunt is being RUINED by Elon Musk and SpaceX’s 12,000 SATELLITES, astronomers claim

You don't know that these things are true or not.  Both sides are guessing.

I think it would be pretty ignorant to think that climate scientists, the ones that are actually looking at the data before them and hypothesizing based on science as opposed to partisan science, have ignored this when making climate models. 

Perhaps this delays the “worst case scenario” type forecasts, but we can’t keep doing things while ignoring the consequences. 

I think it would be pretty ignorant to think that climate scientists, the ones that are actually looking at the data before them and hypothesizing based on science as opposed to partisan science, have ignored this when making climate models. 

Perhaps this delays the “worst case scenario” type forecasts, but we can’t keep doing things while ignoring the consequences. 
Oh I don't disagree at all.  Just because there is a difference of opinion doesn't mean progress should stop.  With you on that one completely.

Yeah not the best source..However it seems there is agreement that this phenomenon is happening.  What it means, well there is where we get speculation, as we do with climate scientists predictions on what will happen to the planet due to global warming.  Its guessing

Yeah not the best source..However it seems there is agreement that this phenomenon is happening.  What it means, well there is where we get speculation, as we do with climate scientists predictions on what will happen to the planet due to global warming.  Its guessing
Science isn’t guessing. They aren’t guessing there’s a decrease in sunspot activity, it’s quantifiable. We are spewing CO2, methane, and other gases/chems into the atmosphere and it has consequences from buildup of gases to ozone depletion. You don’t seem to be a climate denier but also seem to be looking for a reason to not believe it could be (or definitely is) accelerated by the last 100 years of human activity (since the Industrial Age.)

Snorkelson said:
Science isn’t guessing. They aren’t guessing there’s a decrease in sunspot activity, it’s quantifiable. We are spewing CO2, methane, and other gases/chems into the atmosphere and it has consequences from buildup of gases to ozone depletion. You don’t seem to be a climate denier but also seem to be looking for a reason to not believe it could be (or definitely is) accelerated by the last 100 years of human activity (since the Industrial Age.)
The guessing I refer to is the Earth's temperature increase.   I think that's an estimate..Guess isn't a fair word.  I'm not a denier...but I am also open to other possibilites.

The guessing I refer to is the Earth's temperature increase.   I think that's an estimate..Guess isn't a fair word.  I'm not a denier...but I am also open to other possibilites.
It’s a hypothesis, unfortunately the only way to test it is to let the experiment of the human race go on and see how it plays out. I would love it if this explained climate change, but it doesn’t. 

Your article is citing a group that denies manmade effects on climate, period. So they are finding ways to explain it away, rather than looking at all the data and trying to make a prediction. My opinion anyway. 

Users who are viewing this thread