What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I’ve changed my mind; it’s time to impeach Donald Trump (3 Viewers)

Maurile Tremblay said:
He likely won't be indicted, just like Nixon wasn't; but even if he is, he likely won't be handcuffed.

See if you can find a picture of Paul Manafort in handcuffs. (I don't think he was ever handcuffed, but don't know for sure and am willing to be proven wrong.)
I’m reminded of a quote from Albus Dumbledore, something about not going quietly. He escaped by summoning his Phoenix. I picture Trump clinging to his desk and being pulled away against his will. That, or it’s just wishful thinking on my part.

I'm on board with impeachment, as I believe the value of doing the right thing outweighs the potential negative consequences of the inevitable political backlash.  However, I do think we should acknowledge that folks like DW, Maurile, tim, myself, etc. who are in favor of impeachment are also largely immune from direct personal effects of a 2nd Trump term.  Don't get me wrong, I think we ALL suffer in the macro from Trump's ineptitude and ignorance - our 401k's suffer, our judicial institutions are weaker, our global influence lessens, etc.  But none of us supporting impeachment are at the margins where Trump's policies would directly affect our day-to-day lives.  My children/family aren't at risk of deportation or separation.   My wife isn't likely to need access to an abortion.  

So while I agree with you in principle DW, I'm a bit less cynical of those liberals who oppose impeachment for what they deem practical political realities.  If impeachment increases the odds of 4 more years of real harm to their families and constituents, it may be a more difficult decision for some politicians.  
No doubt.

Probably the same as back when our founders pledged their lives, property and sacred honor, easier said for some than others.  I have lived what some might call a full life.  I have been fortunate.  True also that for me this is a philosophical question as much as a practical one, though I have found that the two can become inexorably entwined as life plays its jokes on us.

I’m reminded of a quote from Albus Dumbledore, something about not going quietly. He escaped by summoning his Phoenix. I picture Trump clinging to his desk and being pulled away against his will. That, or it’s just wishful thinking on my part.
Not my idiom as I was a bit old for it.  Is Mr. or is it Professor or Headmaster Dumbledore channeling Dylan Thomas? 

No doubt.

Probably the same as back when our founders pledged their lives, property and sacred honor, easier said for some than others.  I have lived what some might call a full life.  I have been fortunate.  True also that for me this is a philosophical question as much as a practical one, though I have found that the two can become inexorably entwined as life plays its jokes on us.
Not sure if you have me on ignore as a result of your reaction to my posts in the gun thread, but I truly admire your consistently principled response to President Trump. 

Ditkaless Wonders said:
No doubt.

Yes - I struggle between the practical and philosophical often.  cheers DW

By the way, I think the better quote is by John Maynard Keynes. When accused of changing his mind, he responded: “When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”
Update: "People who end up being right a lot often change their minds along the way in getting to that right answer." -- Jeff Bezos

Last edited by a moderator:
Pros And Cons Of Impeaching President Trump

Calls have grown for House Democrats to move forward with impeachment proceedings against President Trump in the wake of the Mueller report, leading to sharp divisions within the party and the American public. The Onion looks at the pros and cons of impeaching the president.

PRO

Upholds standard of behavior to ensure our elected criminals stop doing that once they’re president.

Nice visibility boost for Andrew Johnson historians.

David Frum said not to.

Facilitates clean three-act structure for eventual movie adaptations of the Trump presidency.

CON

Could set dangerous precedent of impeaching every president who obstructs justice.

Might aggravate divisions in the country and undo all the healing of the past few years.

Unfairly punishes Americans who specifically voted for a criminal president.

Places trust in same system that allowed Donald Trump to be elected.

Users who are viewing this thread