Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Opie

Congress will be Voting Themselves a Raise?

Sure...why not?

We're $22 trillion in debt and if ANYONE deserves a raise, it is our hard working Congress....

I mean...you think that coming up with new and inventive ways to get rid of the President is easy....you are so wrong!

Everybody’s getting a raise with all this tariff money in our coffers.

42 minutes ago, Opie said:

Sure...why not?

We're $22 trillion in debt and if ANYONE deserves a raise, it is our hard working Congress....

I mean...you think that coming up with new and inventive ways to get rid of the President is easy....you are so wrong!

I agree they shouldn't be getting a raise with how they can't work together to do anything, but NOW you are going to bring up the debt?? Too funny.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Opie said:

Sure...why not?

I agree, they don’t need a raise. That money should pay for the services being stopped for children imprisoned at the border. 

1 minute ago, Snorkelson said:

I agree, they don’t need a raise. That money should pay for the services being stopped for children imprisoned at the border. 

Yeah...never mind that the money could be used by actual American citizens who need help.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, yak651 said:

I agree they shouldn't be getting a raise with how they can't work together to do anything, but NOW you are going to bring up the debt?? Too funny.

You have to bring up the debt when you consider that Congress is "the keepers of the purse strings".

The cost of this raise for all of Congress is 2.4 million so less then a 1 weekend golf trip for our president.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, Mile High said:

The cost of this raise for all of Congress is 2.4 million so less then a 1 weekend golf trip for our president.

Cool whataboutism to deflect from a greedy Congress.   

Now we just need to hear from the Bof Sidez folks.

5 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Cool whataboutism to deflect from a greedy Congress.   

Now we just need to hear from the Bof Sidez folks.

Just the facts. 

5 minutes ago, Mile High said:

Well then, hell...let it happen!

They deserve it.

How can they expect to get rich on a mere $174K / year and a lifetime pension?

Ridiculous....but somehow, they do it!

Edited by Opie

13 minutes ago, Opie said:

Yeah...never mind that the money could be used by actual American citizens who need help.

Good one. Ouch.

1 minute ago, Mile High said:

Just the facts. 

Let's hear more facts about wage inequality from the folks giving themselves a raise from $174K

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Opie said:

Well then, hell...let's do it!!

They deserve it.

How can they expect to get rich on a mere $174K / year?

Ridiculous....but somehow, they do it!

But not as ridiculous as a golf weekend 

Just now, Mile High said:

But not as ridiculous as a golf weekend 

Really?  Do tell.

4 minutes ago, Mile High said:

Bill Raising Federal Minimum Wage To $15 Heads To U.S. House Floor.

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/06/700350237/bill-raising-federal-minimum-wage-to-15-heads-to-u-s-house-floor

Hey...I'm all for paying Congress $15 / hr.

Did they introduce that?

I think that the current pay for Congress is somewhere near $200 / hr.

Edited by Opie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Opie said:

Sure...why not?

They aren't getting that sweet Russian money under the table. 

2 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

They aren't getting that sweet Russian money under the table. 

It's coming from somewhere.

In 2014, Nancy Pelosi's net worth was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 million.

If you want to defend Congress getting paid more than what they are getting paid now....go for it.

Edited by Opie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Opie said:

It's coming from somewhere.

In 2014, Nancy Pelosi's net worth was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 million.

If you want to defend Congress getting paid more than what they are getting paid now....go for it.

Yes, most of her money comes from her husband Paul Pelosi's investment firm.  200 million isn't close to the estimates i found on a simple Google search but I get that you're looking to demonize her and mostly read sites that do the same. 

If you're looking for something to complain about, they apparently made a lot of money on Visa stock at a time when congress was working on legislation related to the credit card industry.  For you and me that would be considered insider trading but for Congress it was legal at the time and still largely is.  

Here's a video on the topic if you're interested

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I believe Congress should get a grade from its constituents for potentiel merit raises.  Otherwise, they get COLA if they’re lucky like most folks.

36 minutes ago, Opie said:

SHOCKER!!

I will bet that AOC will lead the way and won`t take the raise, that is not what she is about.

• Laughing 3

1 minute ago, Summer Wheat said:

I will bet that AOC will lead the way and won`t take the raise, that is not what she is about.

I would like to see this happen. 

5 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

How much?

I'll bet that she votes "yay".

Edited by Opie

2 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Kinda like not taking an entire $400K salary....rather donating it?

6 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I believe Congress should get a grade from its constituents for potentiel merit raises.  Otherwise, they get COLA if they’re lucky like most folks.

Sounds like you might support this pay raise, since this is just COLA, and they haven't been getting it.  

House spending leaders want to break a decadelong pay freeze and give members of Congress a cost-of-living bump that could pad their salaries with an extra $4,500 next year.

Congressional salaries have been frozen at about $174,000 since 2009, when Democrats controlled Congress and decided to suspend automatic cost-of-living increases while heading into the 2010 election year.

1 minute ago, bostonfred said:

Sounds like you might support this pay raise, since this is just COLA, and they haven't been getting it.  

House spending leaders want to break a decadelong pay freeze and give members of Congress a cost-of-living bump that could pad their salaries with an extra $4,500 next year.

Congressional salaries have been frozen at about $174,000 since 2009, when Democrats controlled Congress and decided to suspend automatic cost-of-living increases while heading into the 2010 election year.

I said if they’re lucky. Maybe create a sliding COLA scale for bills passed, attendance, demerits, etc...

They get the ultimate insider trading benefits.  They definitely don’t need a raise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, jonessed said:

They get the ultimate insider trading benefits.  They definitely don’t need a raise.

Plus...serve at all....not even a career...and they get a lifetime pension.

21 minutes ago, Opie said:

Kinda like not taking an entire $400K salary....rather donating it?

LOL.  You’re whining about $2.5M in aggregate increased spending spread out amongst 540 US congressional representatives, but you have no problems with $100M+ on Trump’s golf trips to his own resorts, where our taxpayer money is actually going into his personal pockets?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Technically they aren’t totally voting to give themselves a raise since the 27th Amendment says a raise cants go in to effect until after the next election cycle. That means we can vote a whole bunch of them out if we don’t like the raise. The history of the 27th amendment is fascinating and worth looking into imo.

eta: see my later post, this probably isn’t the case here 

Edited by Ilov80s

34 minutes ago, Opie said:

How much?

I'll bet that she votes "yay".

I don`t think so, that would go against everything she stands for.

1 minute ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I would be fine with doubling or tripling the salary of legislators if it led to a higher quality of people seeking office.

And gave them less incentive to augment their income in unsavory ways

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Funny thing is most people think Congress is doing a bad job but their representatives are doing a good job. I see the same thing teaching. I hear parents tell me how much they like the teachers and our school but that the US education system is a failure.

• Thinking 1

41 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Amazing to me that people feel a need to complain about this. 

I'm sure.

...but had this been a Republican held Congress.....oooooh the outrage!!  :rant:

Your bias is blinding.

I don't care who's pushing this agenda (Republican or Democrat)....Congress is already overpaid for what they do....and especially for what they don't do.

Edited by Opie
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Opie said:

I'm sure.

...but had this been a Republican held Congress.....oooooh the outrage!!  :rant:

I don't care who's pushing this agenda (Republicans or Democrats)....Congress is overpaid for what they do....and don't do.

Your selective outrage is beyond stale. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Your selective outrage is beyond stale. 

Not even....I'm won't be happy with any Republican who backs this too and I am certainly not looking for ways to justify it.

Edited by Opie

Also this is slightly inaccurate now that I’ve read up. The raise was approved in 1989 for COLA. It was frozen in 2009. Since then every year they have passed law stopping the raise. So it’s not a matter of passing a raise, it’s a matter of passing a freeze on the raise.

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Also this is slightly inaccurate now that I’ve read up. The raise was approved in 1989 for COLA. It was frozen in 2009. Since then every year they have passed law stopping the raise. So it’s not a matter of passing a raise, it’s a matter of passing a freeze on the raise.

Oh...that makes if fine...they vote to give themselves a raise....put it on hold...then, vote to remove that hold.

TOTALLY different than voting yourself a raise.

Edited by Opie

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Who approved it?   I would love to be able to vote on my own raises. YES!!

3 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

Who approved it?   I would love to be able to vote on my own raises. YES!!

2009?  Any guesses?.

Edited by Opie

4 minutes ago, Opie said:

Not even....I'm won't be happy with any Republican who backs this too and I am certainly not looking for ways to justify it.

You’re outraged about a 2% cost of living raise for a group of people whose salaries have been frozen since 2009.  The total estimated cost of this raise would be ~ $2.5M, spread across 538 people.

You’re not outraged at > $100M taxpayers have spent on Trump to play golf in 2.5 years, mostly at his own country clubs, meaning that likely $10s of millions of taxpayer dollars went directly into Trump’s business profits.  He is quite literally using your money to pay himself to play golf at his clubs.  Dead silence from you.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

You’re outraged about a 2% cost of living raise for a group of people whose salaries have been frozen since 2009.  The total estimated cost of this raise would be ~ $2.5M, spread across 538 people.

You’re not outraged at > $100M taxpayers have spent on Trump to play golf in 2.5 years, mostly at his own country clubs, meaning that likely $10s of millions of taxpayer dollars went directly into Trump’s business profits.  He is quite literally using your money to pay himself to play golf at his clubs.  Dead silence from you.  

So, you're okay with it?

Good for you.

56 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Amazing to me that people feel a need to complain about this. 

You think this is bad, you should see how people complain about city council who make a grand a month and house reps that make 42k a year around here.