What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Congress will be Voting Themselves a Raise? (1 Viewer)

Opie

Footballguy
Sure...why not?

We're $22 trillion in debt and if ANYONE deserves a raise, it is our hard working Congress....

I mean...you think that coming up with new and inventive ways to get rid of the President is easy....you are so wrong!

Sure...why not?

We're $22 trillion in debt and if ANYONE deserves a raise, it is our hard working Congress....

I mean...you think that coming up with new and inventive ways to get rid of the President is easy....you are so wrong!
I agree they shouldn't be getting a raise with how they can't work together to do anything, but NOW you are going to bring up the debt?? Too funny.

Sure...why not?

I agree, they don’t need a raise. That money should pay for the services being stopped for children imprisoned at the border. 

I agree they shouldn't be getting a raise with how they can't work together to do anything, but NOW you are going to bring up the debt?? Too funny.
You have to bring up the debt when you consider that Congress is "the keepers of the purse strings".

The cost of this raise for all of Congress is 2.4 million so less then a 1 weekend golf trip for our president.
Well then, hell...let it happen!

They deserve it.

How can they expect to get rich on a mere $174K / year and a lifetime pension?

Ridiculous....but somehow, they do it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure...why not?

They aren't getting that sweet Russian money under the table. 

They aren't getting that sweet Russian money under the table. 
It's coming from somewhere.

In 2014, Nancy Pelosi's net worth was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 million.

If you want to defend Congress getting paid more than what they are getting paid now....go for it.

It's coming from somewhere.

In 2014, Nancy Pelosi's net worth was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200 million.

If you want to defend Congress getting paid more than what they are getting paid now....go for it.
Yes, most of her money comes from her husband Paul Pelosi's investment firm.  200 million isn't close to the estimates i found on a simple Google search but I get that you're looking to demonize her and mostly read sites that do the same. 

If you're looking for something to complain about, they apparently made a lot of money on Visa stock at a time when congress was working on legislation related to the credit card industry.  For you and me that would be considered insider trading but for Congress it was legal at the time and still largely is.  

Here's a video on the topic if you're interested

I believe Congress should get a grade from its constituents for potentiel merit raises.  Otherwise, they get COLA if they’re lucky like most folks.

I believe Congress should get a grade from its constituents for potentiel merit raises.  Otherwise, they get COLA if they’re lucky like most folks.
Sounds like you might support this pay raise, since this is just COLA, and they haven't been getting it.  

House spending leaders want to break a decadelong pay freeze and give members of Congress a cost-of-living bump that could pad their salaries with an extra $4,500 next year.

Congressional salaries have been frozen at about $174,000 since 2009, when Democrats controlled Congress and decided to suspend automatic cost-of-living increases while heading into the 2010 election year.

Sounds like you might support this pay raise, since this is just COLA, and they haven't been getting it.  

House spending leaders want to break a decadelong pay freeze and give members of Congress a cost-of-living bump that could pad their salaries with an extra $4,500 next year.

Congressional salaries have been frozen at about $174,000 since 2009, when Democrats controlled Congress and decided to suspend automatic cost-of-living increases while heading into the 2010 election year.
I said if they’re lucky. Maybe create a sliding COLA scale for bills passed, attendance, demerits, etc...

Kinda like not taking an entire $400K salary....rather donating it?
LOL.  You’re whining about $2.5M in aggregate increased spending spread out amongst 540 US congressional representatives, but you have no problems with $100M+ on Trump’s golf trips to his own resorts, where our taxpayer money is actually going into his personal pockets?  

Technically they aren’t totally voting to give themselves a raise since the 27th Amendment says a raise cants go in to effect until after the next election cycle. That means we can vote a whole bunch of them out if we don’t like the raise. The history of the 27th amendment is fascinating and worth looking into imo.

eta: see my later post, this probably isn’t the case here 

Funny thing is most people think Congress is doing a bad job but their representatives are doing a good job. I see the same thing teaching. I hear parents tell me how much they like the teachers and our school but that the US education system is a failure.

Amazing to me that people feel a need to complain about this. 
I'm sure.

...but had this been a Republican held Congress.....oooooh the outrage!!   :rant:

Your bias is blinding.

I don't care who's pushing this agenda (Republican or Democrat)....Congress is already overpaid for what they do....and especially for what they don't do.

Also this is slightly inaccurate now that I’ve read up. The raise was approved in 1989 for COLA. It was frozen in 2009. Since then every year they have passed law stopping the raise. So it’s not a matter of passing a raise, it’s a matter of passing a freeze on the raise.

Also this is slightly inaccurate now that I’ve read up. The raise was approved in 1989 for COLA. It was frozen in 2009. Since then every year they have passed law stopping the raise. So it’s not a matter of passing a raise, it’s a matter of passing a freeze on the raise.
Oh...that makes if fine...they vote to give themselves a raise....put it on hold...then, vote to remove that hold.

TOTALLY different than voting yourself a raise.

Who approved it?   I would love to be able to vote on my own raises. YES!!

Not even....I'm won't be happy with any Republican who backs this too and I am certainly not looking for ways to justify it.
You’re outraged about a 2% cost of living raise for a group of people whose salaries have been frozen since 2009.  The total estimated cost of this raise would be ~ $2.5M, spread across 538 people.

You’re not outraged at > $100M taxpayers have spent on Trump to play golf in 2.5 years, mostly at his own country clubs, meaning that likely $10s of millions of taxpayer dollars went directly into Trump’s business profits.  He is quite literally using your money to pay himself to play golf at his clubs.  Dead silence from you.  

You’re outraged about a 2% cost of living raise for a group of people whose salaries have been frozen since 2009.  The total estimated cost of this raise would be ~ $2.5M, spread across 538 people.

You’re not outraged at > $100M taxpayers have spent on Trump to play golf in 2.5 years, mostly at his own country clubs, meaning that likely $10s of millions of taxpayer dollars went directly into Trump’s business profits.  He is quite literally using your money to pay himself to play golf at his clubs.  Dead silence from you.  
So, you're okay with it?

Good for you.

Users who are viewing this thread