What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kooks And Cranks (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
Okay. Use this as a format to talk about stories that everyone thought were promulgated by kooks and cranks about the U.S. Gov't that turned out to actually be true. I'm not talking about conspiracy theories, necessarily, but about things like Hemingway and MLK being bugged and blackmailed by Hoover's FBI and the bombings of Cambodia by Nixon.

If we have little concrete evidence of anything, this is also the place to opine about how kooks and cranks keep the bigwigs in check, how much we should believe the kooks and cranks, who they are, how they operate, who they appeal to, and what it says about our transparency in government that they exist.

I fully haven't framed this with anything but open-ended participation in mind. Comment accordingly. Shtick is even welcome.

Go!

Last edited by a moderator:
During the Carter Administration, my friend Mark - an intimate of White House staff - told me that State was pissed off at Jimmah because he cancelled the CIA stipends all the mullahs in the Middle East received to keep the peace because bribery should not be extended to men of God. Six weeks later, the hostages.

Mark is the same guy who told me that Hillary quit universal health care because, when she was planning to go after smokers bigtime, she was told that they used so much less of govt health & age benefits that them not dying would bankrupt her plan.

I don’t understand how Nixon bombing Cambodia- which might have been an impeachable offense (an act of war by a President without the consent of Congress) and resulted in the Kent State massacre- could be considered a “kook and crank” event. It was pretty damn serious. 

I don’t understand how Nixon bombing Cambodia- which might have been an impeachable offense (an act of war by a President without the consent of Congress) and resulted in the Kent State massacre- could be considered a “kook and crank” event. It was pretty damn serious. 
I believe @rockaction isn't saying it was a kooky event, but that kooks were the only ones who originally believed it happened.

The point of the thread is those beliefs that aren't supported by the mainstream as being true, but are actually true.  Like if we found out that there was an actual alien spaceship in Area 51.

Jayrod answered your question better than I ever could.

You're having trouble reading me these days. I personally thought the point of the thread was pretty clear and I say that without any animus or anything; just noticing you having trouble with my writing for some reason. 

Jayrod answered your question better than I ever could.

You're having trouble reading me these days. I personally thought the point of the thread was pretty clear and I say that without any animus or anything; just noticing you having trouble with my writing for some reason. 
To be fair, when I read your work I tend to need a dictionary handy.

I think drug approval process is full of incompetence, lies, payoffs, and over medicating in the name of a buck.   It is probably more greed throughout the whole channel, but a fair amount is on the government.  

Apparently Mrs. Edith Wilson was acting President for several months after Woodrow had a stroke.

wikkidpissah said:
You can translate me in the basketball thread, but you're flummoxed by a mooyuk like RA?! Color me miffed!
Not flummoxed, just not on the same plane linguistically.  I literally have to google some words in his posts because he uses words I've never even seen before.

You are more cryptic and stylish, but with a less elaborate vocabulary.

Not flummoxed, just not on the same plane linguistically.  I literally have to google some words in his posts because he uses words I've never even seen before.

You are more cryptic and stylish, but with a less elaborate vocabulary.
A more elaborate vocabulary is of little value if most people you communicate with don't understand the meaning of the words you are using. If those reading have to Google words you are using, you have already lost the argument as few will bother to do that, as most will just simply dismiss you as being pretentious.

A more elaborate vocabulary is of little value if most people you communicate with don't understand the meaning of the words you are using. If those reading have to Google words you are using, you have already lost the argument as few will bother to do that, as most will just simply dismiss you as being pretentious.
Jayrod is being gentle, wikkid kids and truthfully jests, but traditionally, when the left has used difficult words, it's considered a sign of erudition and learning; when the right has done it, they earn this charge (the quoted) of arcana and aloofness from the left. William Safire and William F. Buckley are two prime examples of people who had to deal with this all their lives; but never did they back down from using, according to Buckley, "the right word." They were more than happy to either explain their usage or direct someone to the appropriate dictionary and appropriate definition. Other people's working knowledge of the dictionary is not my concern. I learned from erudite friends who made me look up words constantly for the five or six years that I was paid to read and research, and I don't think that knowing the correct word to use and when to use it or them, even idiomatically, is something to sniff at. I'm not looking to convince a hardened politico on a message board; I'm thinking about the silent lurker or the person who will come across this in posterity. 

I don’t think your grammar is particularly complex. It’s more that your thoughts are incoherent.
Grammar isn't vocabularly, which is what Jayrod was talking about. So was wikkid.

Please try to keep up. I know, it must be hard. But please, for the love of clarity...

Sorry, but I love it.  I enjoy learning something new, and he is right...the use of the exact right word is the best way.

One of my favorite sayings is, "good is the enemy of best." What you are saying may seem good, but it isn't the best way to approach things, IMO.

Grammar isn't vocabularly, which is what Jayrod was talking about. So was wikkid.

Please try to keep up. I know, it must be hard. But please, for the love of clarity...
RA and i do have a similarity, but i don't think it has much to do with trying to impress or lord wordskill over others. We both have great storms of thought & impression (and learning, in his case) swirling about in our heads and could literally go on&on&on about everything@once and completely lose audience and, often, our original points. Therefore, the most evocative and complex words need come into play to keep us from turning paragraphs into pages.

Users who are viewing this thread