What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Swinging, Young, and 'Sober Curious' (What Are Three Things Members Of This Board Aren't?) (1 Viewer)

Meh. I'll order a diet coke, or a tonic and lime.

At a regular bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh. I'll order a diet coke, or a tonic and lime.

At a regular bar.
I'm with you. I don't like the political or generational word "snowflake," so I'll just call it a bit prissy to not want alcohol around in a bar or club setting. Reeks of the Progressive Era prohibitionists. 

By the way, I post this as somebody going through right now what it means to be sober and sort of have to avoid bars with alcohol for my own sake. I'm not totally unsympathetic to the creation of these places, but they seem both pretentious and a little "dumb" if you're not an alcoholic. I can see social gatherings for alcoholics that require a dry atmosphere, but not as nightlife, really.

Though maybe I can see the demand for it if you don't want to be around drunk people. Either way, the phrase 'sober curious' just struck as a bit annoying and prissy with an attempted back page edge. 

Meh. I don't see the big deal. Not everybody wants to be around people drinking when they go out. Especially, some recovering alcoholics who can do without the temptation on a regular basis. I don't imagine it'll have much traction, but it's an interesting experiment from a business standpoint. As an observer, that is. I wouldn't want to gamble on it, especially with the cost of leases in the places they're most likely to be popular when they're NOT making money on booze. We'll see.

My observation:

New York (CNN Business)Getaway in Brooklyn was comfortably full for a Saturday night, when I came in to try my first "shrub" — an acidic beverage made from vinegar, fruit, sugar, club soda and zero alcohol.

I ordered a carrot-and-ginger shrub and hoped it would be palatable. I was pleasantly surprised, drank the whole thing and, voila, was not even tipsy. 
Really? I'm shocked!

Getaway is a sober bar, a new kind of dry nightlife option that is cropping up in New York City. The idea is to provide outlets for people who want to socialize in a bar-like location, but without having to drink alcohol.
"Having"? Yeah - I went through my phase of needing to avoid bars, but this is bad writing.

They are part of larger trend. People are paying greater attention to their mental health and wellness,
Alright! Let's gulp down those healthy sugary drinks!

Rather than an indulgence, Kin reasons that the consumption of its product is more for "self care after dark." It wants to create a new market of products that don't contain alcohol but also aren't laden with sugar.
OK - no sugar laden drink is better

Last month, Liquid Death made waves when it launched. The startup applies the bold marketing of energy drinks to a water-in-a-can beverage. Its tagline is "Murder Your Thirst." Like an alcohol brand, it has an age gate on its website that says, "This water may give nightmares to persons under 18 years of age."

The idea is to make consumers look cool while they keep hydrated, and to the unsuspecting eye, one may never know they're downing simple H2O.

The original impetus, according to CEO and co-founder Mike Cessario, was to cater to heavy metal and punk rock fans. But the ability to drink water out of a can (which is more ecofriendly than plastic) and look like you're drinking a beer or an energy drink, has broader appeal.

With the tagline "Murder Your Thirst," Liquid Death applies the bold marketing of energy drinks to a water-in-a-can beverage.

It has already raised $1.6 million dollars from investors including Science, an incubator and tech studio that's backed companies like Dollar Shave Club.
This blows my mind. Water.

On the whole though, anything that gives more options is good by me.

Meh. I don't see the big deal. Not everybody wants to be around people drinking when they go out. Especially, some recovering alcoholics who can do without the temptation on a regular basis. I don't imagine it'll have much traction, but it's an interesting experiment from a business standpoint. As an observer, that is. I wouldn't want to gamble on it, especially with the cost of leases in the places they're most likely to be popular when they're NOT making money on booze. We'll see.
Yeah, I actually totally agree with this. I think recovering alcoholics or users will really benefit by having a dressed-up social outlet without the temptation.

I think I was piqued by the whole branding of it as 'sober curious,' which struck me for some reason.

No. I'll just tell people I drank and drugged for over half my life and will die if I don't quit. I'm sure they'll understand, and in addition, I'm not sure I GAF if they don't. 
LOL!

When I went through my 1st Quit - 2008  1998 - I was greatly surprised at how vicious people can be in a drinking environment to ex-drinkers.

Life long tee-totals get treated well enough, but us EX's - wooooo - it could get ugly.

I got into my ONLY bar fights EVER - 100% sober. That is what eventually kept me out of the bar scene.

After a few years, I could go back and fight back in a fun way. But, it took a while.

You kick'n ### bud! 😎

LOL!

When I went through my 1st Quit - 2008  1998 - I was greatly surprised at how vicious people can be in a drinking environment to ex-drinkers.

Life long tee-totals get treated well enough, but us EX's - wooooo - it could get ugly.

I got into my ONLY bar fights EVER - 100% sober. That is what eventually kept me out of the bar scene.

After a few years, I could go back and fight back in a fun way. But, it took a while.

You kick'n ### bud! 😎
I can see the teetotaler vs. newly quit with old drinking friends.

As for kickin' ###, I haven't been perfect, but I'll take what efforts I got. 

I can see the teetotaler vs. newly quit with old drinking friends.

As for kickin' ###, I haven't been perfect, but I'll take what efforts I got. 
Bold - Yep. They knew the drunk me - and did not like how I had changed. It was not that they disliked the new me, it was that I was NOT the old me. Some of those friendships died - others, after time, healed and formed a new great but different relationship. This was worth the time and effort.

Perfect? Hah. No one is. I am now on my 3rd quit ! LOL

Even as a lifelong non drinker, at first glance I thought this was a silly idea. Places already exist where people can drink non-alcoholic beverages, like juice bars and coffee shops. But I have met more people in the last few years who choose not drink, and not because they’re recovering addicts or devoutly religious. Maybe society is slowly moving in a different direction?

Even as a lifelong non drinker, at first glance I thought this was a silly idea. Places already exist where people can drink non-alcoholic beverages, like juice bars and coffee shops. But I have met more people in the last few years who choose not drink, and not because they’re recovering addicts or devoutly religious. Maybe society is slowly moving in a different direction?
i think, in an anecdotal and market-based way, that's what the writer is trying to say. That's why she's essentially saying, "Listen up. Investors are in on this trend, therefore it is at least some evidence that this might be a real thing..."

I happen to have been around and disagree with her, but I'm basing that just as anecdotally and empirically observational as she is. 

i think, in an anecdotal and market-based way, that's what the writer is trying to say. That's why she's essentially saying, "Listen up. Investors are in on this trend, therefore it is at least some evidence that this might be a real thing..."

I happen to have been around and disagree with her, but I'm basing that just as anecdotally and empirically observational as she is. 
Looks like it has downtrended from a peak in the 70's/early 80's, but not dramatically so. 

It will be interesting to see if some drinkers are supplanted by recreational marijuana users as legalization gains steam. Probably more likely than a bunch of people hanging out drinking non-alcoholic beverages.

Yeah, I thought they were called coffee shops. We have plenty around where I live that are busy at night, have live music, etc. 

Curious how many of the “sober curious” crowd at these bars are using cannabis instead?

So straight edge is cool now?
The sober curious part and intersex intermingling sort of put a dent in one of the three taboos. If they start wearing X's on their hands and dressing in only white Hanes T-shirts, then we'll know.

“The idea is to provide outlets for people who want to socialize in a bar-like location, but without having to drink alcohol.”

I’ve been to many bars over the years - I never had to drink alcohol in any of them.  This is dumb.
I get this, however for me I’d say that hanging out with drunk people when not drunk is like my #1 least favorite thing to do in the entire world. So if this meets a demand for people that want to hang out in a social setting and drink stuff without having people acting like ######s, then who cares?

I'm with you. I don't like the political or generational word "snowflake," so I'll just call it a bit prissy to not want alcohol around in a bar or club setting. Reeks of the Progressive Era prohibitionists. 
15 years ago people were prissy for not wanting to smell like smoke just because they wanted to eat dinner somewhere. 

I get this, however for me I’d say that hanging out with drunk people when not drunk is like my #1 least favorite thing to do in the entire world. So if this meets a demand for people that want to hang out in a social setting and drink stuff without having people acting like ######s, then who cares?
My comment is specifically about saying you have to drink at a bar.  Nobody is forcing anyone.  I completely get not wanting to hang out where there's people getting hammered.  I drink and don't really like to be around that type of party/scene because so many people can't control themselves.  Thing is, I don't find most bars to be that way and my circle of friends don't really do that (any more). 

Interesting.. but if it were a stock I wouldn't invest in it.

I went through a phase like many where I drank to get hammered.

Now i generally have a drink because I enjoy the taste of a good IPA or a well made scotch or bourbon.

Only one blackout since 2014 (wedding..  things got away from me)..  but I probably have 4-6 units of alcohol on most weeks.

It's just not that hard to goto a bar with friends and if you're really trying to avoid a buzz, you just get some garbage light beer or you can even enjoy yourself with one of those "all day IPA" type of beers and sip on it and mix in a club soda and lime.  

I'll take a Hawaiian Punch on the rocks with a splash of Slice.  With a lemonade back, please.  I'm sober curious.  

By the way, I post this as somebody going through right now what it means to be sober and sort of have to avoid bars with alcohol for my own sake. I'm not totally unsympathetic to the creation of these places, but they seem both pretentious and a little "dumb" if you're not an alcoholic. I can see social gatherings for alcoholics that require a dry atmosphere, but not as nightlife, really.

Though maybe I can see the demand for it if you don't want to be around drunk people. Either way, the phrase 'sober curious' just struck as a bit annoying and prissy with an attempted back page edge. 
:lol:

Pretentious? They're cafe/juice bars, but for night time. If there's a enough of a market for that kind of thing- godspeed.

but yeah... "Sober-curious" is stupid and like made up by somebody "drunk-idiotic".

:lol:

Pretentious? They're cafe/juice bars, but for night time. If there's a enough of a market for that kind of thing- godspeed.

but yeah... "Sober-curious" is stupid and like made up by somebody "drunk-idiotic".
I also wish them godspeed, too, in a way. I just picture the kind of person that frequents them as sort of an "Eww..." type person.

I love the bolded. LOL.

I also wish them godspeed, too, in a way. I just picture the kind of person that frequents them as sort of an "Eww..." type person.

I love the bolded. LOL.
Im not sire how viable they're going to be though. I figured the $$idea with bars is to sell more than one drink to patrons...which fits one of the MOs of going to a bar- get drunk/buzzed. I can't imagine having more than one...maybe two of those juice things. And yeah, not sure about the crowd either. I remember innaday here in NYC, a bar called Nosmo King opened up- and evem though I hate cigarette smoke and hated having to shower after a night out here or risk having the entire pad reek of the stuff...I still never went. Mostly because my friends smoked. This feels the same.

Users who are viewing this thread