What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Ortiz Shot In Dominican Republic -- Still In MA Hospital, Rumors Swirl About Cause Of Attempted Murder (1 Viewer)

Not much info out there but seems to be worse than first reported.   Thought the news about being shot the leg was relatively positive.  Now not sure what is up here.  CNN is saying back but no update on condition yet, which seems a bit concerning.

Apparently the gunman was beaten up by the crowd.
Yeah, Shamrock Pride said there was live and uncut Twitter footage of the beating.

I'm seriously just hoping he's okay. David Ortiz is my favorite athlete of my lifetime, second only to Pedro Martinez. Two men from the Dominican Republic.

Or it’s an accurate description of the video — i.e. the key evidence of the incident.
Yep. Dispassionate was not a question about the video's accuracy. It was the dispassionate, unemotional way in which you described it as "a hit," meaning the shot, that I was commenting on, which is also not inaccurate. 

WEEI reporting that it was not a robbery, but a hit on David Ortiz' life.

Also reporting there is damage to internal organs. 

Please try to keep comments respectful in here. Be better than your base impulses. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Poor big  ploppy. In before he drops f bombs in his post-surgery/hospitalization interview.

WEEI reporting that injuries much worse than initial reported. Damage to intestines, colon wall, gall bladder, and liver.

Surgery for hours. Also reporting that this was an assassination attempt/hit on Ortiz' life. Claiming that the video @Gary Coal Manposted is a must see in order to put together the real story. 

No, it doesn't. Didn't three people go missing as tourists over there?  
I thought this was about the PSF for a second... seemed about right. 

Sounds like Ortiz will pull through but in intensive care for the next 24 hours (listed as stable condition). Marly Rivera seems to be the one to follow for quick accurate reporting (@MarlyRiveraESPN)

WEEI reporting that injuries much worse than initial reported. Damage to intestines, colon wall, gall bladder, and liver.

Surgery for hours. Also reporting that this was an assassination attempt/hit on Ortiz' life. Claiming that video @Gary Coal Manis a must see in order to put together the real story. 
I hope the shooter is just a loser trying to make name for himself by assassinating a famous person.  I’d hate to think that amiable, beloved David Ortiz got himself involved in some underworld stuff.

I thought this was about the PSF for a second... seemed about right. 

Sounds like Ortiz will pull through but in intensive care for the next 24 hours (listed as stable condition). Marly Rivera seems to be the one to follow for quick accurate reporting (@MarlyRiveraESPN)
I don't get the bolded, but thanks for the update and source. That's really good to know. 

eta* I think I get it now. That's funny. Yeah, the PSF is a place where FFA tourists disappear.

I hope the shooter is just a loser trying to make name for himself by assassinating a famous person.  I’d hate to think that amiable, beloved David Ortiz got himself involved in some underworld stuff.
As much as I personally consider him beloved, there is no doubt that there is potential for underworld stuff. They're actually trying to get a guy that exposed the underbelly of Dominican baseball on WEEI. 

The “SOME THINGS GO BEYOND A RIVALRY” Yankee fans on twitter are killing me. Saw one guy say that if the Yanks have to lose their next few games so that Ortiz could live, he’d take it. How benevolent. 

Update, summarized by WEEI:

Six hours of surgery. At least part of intestines, gall bladder, and part of liver removed.

Pictures being taken in hospital room. Instagram photos of Ortiz in hospital room available. Still "stable" in ICU, which WEEI is claiming is pretty bad.

Still not out of the woods. At all.  

As an Indians fan, he wasn't my favorite player because of how many times he crushed my team, but overall he's a great guy.  So, this totally and absolutely sucks.

Get well, Big Papi!!

Heard the same on local radio news about 8:15 a.m. CDT. They also said he is expected to recover. I am curious about the medical reasons he's listed as 'stable' already versus 'critical'.

Update, summarized by WEEI:

Six hours of surgery. At least part of intestines, gall bladder, and part of liver removed.
Not a doctor by any means, but just going by this list of organs there is some hope. People routinely get gall bladders removed to prevent gallstones ... it is not essential for survival or even quality of life. And the human liver is the only human organ I am aware of that will regenerate lost or damaged tissue -- whatever damaged portion was removed should be expected to grow back.

Bariatric surgery involves purposeful removal of part of the intestines, so as far as loss of that tissue goes ... the human body can compensate. However, a foreign object breaching of the intestinal wall into the viscera can lead to a very serious life-threatening infection. It does sound like, with incomplete information, that Ortiz got medical attention just about as soon as was possible (as opposed to walking around with internal bleeding and intestinal-contents seepage for several hours before getting care).

@MarlyRiveraESPN 

I just spoke on the phone with David Ortiz’s assistant and press rep, Leo López, and he said that once Ortiz is fully stabilized they expect he’ll be transferred to Boston for further treatment. We’re waiting for further updates on his medical condition this morning.

@MarlyRiveraESPN 

I just spoke on the phone with David Ortiz’s assistant and press rep, Leo López, and he said that once Ortiz is fully stabilized they expect he’ll be transferred to Boston for further treatment. We’re waiting for further updates on his medical condition this morning.
As one who had a crappy experience in a DR hospital, this is most definitely a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread