What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Ortiz Shot In Dominican Republic -- Still In MA Hospital, Rumors Swirl About Cause Of Attempted Murder (1 Viewer)

Hey man I dislike Boston sports as much as every red-blooded American but equating the guy getting shot with the Bruins losing as a “bad week for Boston” seems to be a bridge too far. 

Hey man I dislike Boston sports as much as every red-blooded American but equating the guy getting shot with the Bruins losing as a “bad week for Boston” seems to be a bridge too far. 
I get that, you have a legit beef.  But all I was saying is a lot came crumbling down in a matter of days.

Shame on all you rumor mongers.  Dominican authorities now say that Papi was not the intended target.  And the rest - the speculation that Papi was banging some drug lord's main squeeze - all that is just "cheap gossip".  

“David Ortiz is innocent in what happened. He has no connection to illicit activities, no relationships with people who have criminal connections, nor has he violated his family values that would bring about such an incident," Hoepelman said.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/new-details-motive-expected-to-be-announced-in-shooting-that-injured-david-ortiz/28097144
First of all I don`t want to see anyone get shot and I hope Ortiz is OK .

Now Ortiz is a national hero in the DR and this has been a PR nightmare for them after people dying at their resorts too. Ortiz did buy his mistress a 85K Lexus the day before, she was brawling at the hospital with his entourage. Something was going on. Was Ortiz the target?  If you watch the video it sure looks like he was. 

That is his personal life though and many athletes have multiple affairs...but not many get shot over them.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, what's your point here?
Seems like you’re the one with a point, I’m just trying to clarify it

very clear now - sports player potentially had affair and deservedly got shot, to the rejoicing of any sports fans outside of the player’s city where he worked 

Seems like you’re the one with a point, I’m just trying to clarify it

very clear now - sports player potentially had affair and deservedly got shot, to the rejoicing of any sports fans outside of the player’s city where he worked 
No need to embellish.

Okay then, I apologize.  I just could see Ortiz coming out of this as some kind of hero.  He is not.  He put his children in serious jeopardy.  It was as selfish as it gets.  Glad he survived, but the spin on it will be total bs.

Boston sports had a horrible week, no two ways about it. It will be a nice break from the obnoxiousness, however short-lived that may be....

In the end it's just sports kiddo, you'll get through this.  Best of luck!
Your take on this is incredibly bad. And your second sentence makes no sense because I'm clearly not bothered by this. I'm not even a fan of either team.

Tool said:
Your take on this is incredibly bad. And your second sentence makes no sense because I'm clearly not bothered by this. I'm not even a fan of either team.
Let it go big fella.  If you don't think Boston fans are over the top obnoxious, then hold onto those delusions of grandeur.  Or, feel free to relax, if possible.

Mr. Ham said:
It’s you’re right to judge, but in my view this has little to do with sports. Regardless of where he chose to stick his #### consensually, it wasn’t worth getting shot over. 
Which is exactly my point.  Not worth it.

Let it go big fella.  If you don't think Boston fans are over the top obnoxious, then hold onto those delusions of grandeur.  Or, feel free to relax, if possible.
Whether Boston fans are obnoxious is not relevant here.  Your take is just dumb. Maybe just spend some time thinking about it rather than continuing to defend it.

Whether Boston fans are obnoxious is not relevant here.  Your take is just dumb. Maybe just spend some time thinking about it rather than continuing to defend it.
The choices he made are most certainly relevant.  It's exactly why he almost lost his life and screwed over his wife and children.  Incredibly selfish.  Sorry that's hard for you to grasp.

Talk about stupid...

Maybe a good time to hit the showers and start fresh tomorrow.
If Tool wants to let it go, I'm cool with that, but he's dead-set on defending his hero, who is anything but that. There's no problem with my side of things here, it's factual and the sympathy part of this story is complete crap.  Ortiz is going to be alright, but he's lucky as hell and he was doing some seriously f'd up #### to the people that are supposed to matter most to him.  Sorry if that bothers you and others that are wont to defend him and/or have trouble hearing it.

https://www.wbay.com/content/news/Dominican-police-arrest-mastermind-in-David-Ortiz-shooting-511961912.html

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic (AP) — Authorities in the Dominican Republic announced Friday that they have arrested the man behind the shooting of baseball great David Ortiz in an apparent case of mistaken identity.

Police said Víctor Hugo Gómez was detained in the Caribbean country. No further details were immediately released.

Authorities had said last week that they believed Gómez was living in the U.S. and described him as a dangerous fugitive, adding that he was an associate of Mexico's Gulf Cartel.

He is accused of ordering the killing of his cousin, Sixto David Fernández. Authorities say hit men confused Ortiz with Fernández during the June 9 shooting at a bar in the capital of Santo Domingo. The two men are friends and were sharing a table.

Carlos Rubio, Gómez's attorney, did not immediately return a message for comment. However, he posted a seven-minute video on YouTube on Friday in which his client talks about the case.

"I would never do something like this," Gómez said, adding that he did not try to kill his cousin, "and least of all David, 'Big Papi.'"

Gómez, who was wearing a gray T-shirt and a khaki cap, said he made the video because he fears for his life and wanted to reject the accusations as he called on police to investigate the case more deeply.

"I want to clarify that I have nothing to do with any attempt on the life against Sixto David Fernández," he said. "We're family."

Gómez then spent most of the video accusing Fernández of having ties to drug traffickers, saying that many people would back up his claims.

Fernández did not return a message for comment.

Authorities said at a recent press conference that Gómez wanted Fernández killed because he believed his cousin turned him into Dominican drug investigators in 2011. They said Gómez then spent time in prison in the Dominican Republic with one of at least 11 suspects arrested in the shooting.

Gómez later resurfaced in the U.S. as one of dozens of suspects sought by federal authorities following a March 2019 drug trafficking sting in Houston.

In the video, Gómez said he did not turn himself into U.S. authorities because he was not home at the time and because he could not afford a lawyer or post bond.

Police had said Fernández received several threatening messages from Gómez prior to the shooting but did not provide a time frame.

On Friday, authorities also announced the arrest of another suspect, Alberto Rodríguez Mota, who is accused of paying the hit men some $8,000. Police said he was captured off the eastern coast of the Dominican Republic en route to Puerto Rico.

Meanwhile, Ortiz remained hospitalized in Boston and was expected to recover after doctors in the Dominican Republic removed his gallbladder and part of his intestine. Ortiz was moved out of intensive care nearly a week ago.

Users who are viewing this thread