What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Grand Jury Summons (1 Viewer)

The Z Machine

Footballguy
I got a summons for a Grand Jury in the City of Baltimore.  It's every day for 4 months!  From 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM.

It looks like my employer will cover my salary 100% for the duration, but I'd much rather be working instead.  Thoughts?  Prayers?

Have you been summoned to be in the jury, or have you just been summoned for the selection process?

If it's the former, then you're screwed. If it's the latter, then you still might be able to get out of it.

Have you been summoned to be in the jury, or have you just been summoned for the selection process?

If it's the former, then you're screwed. If it's the latter, then you still might be able to get out of it.
Summons for selection, so the latter.  I imagine they have to screen a bunch of people to get down to the poor schmucks that actually sit on the grand jury.

Oh, and this also runs over Christmas and my family and I were planning a vacation to Europe.  Of course it explicitly says, "Routine medical appointments and vacations are not sufficient grounds for excusal."  :chemx:

I got a summons for a Grand Jury in the City of Baltimore.  It's every day for 4 months!  From 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM.

It looks like my employer will cover my salary 100% for the duration, but I'd much rather be working instead.  Thoughts?  Prayers?
Doubtful it will be that long.  When I had to go it was 3 weeks.   I didn't need to report the first 2 weeks.  The third week, I had to reported and went through the full selection process.

YMMV

I've only been involved in one grand jury case (a federal tax matter in New Jersey), but wondered how the hell they find people who can serve on these.  It seems insane, but I don't think it is every day.  I think the jury is impaneled for that length of time, and you can be called in any day, but they don't actually present evidence every day.  In my case, it was only 2 days, separated by a couple months (but I'm sure they had other cases going on.)

Remember, the purpose of a grand jury is not to decide the outcome of a civil or criminal case (liability, guilt or innocence, etc.)  This isn't a trial in court, as with regular jury duty. Rather, you are presented with evidence in a very one-sided proceeding, and are asked to decide whether the prosecutor has sufficient evidence to bring charges.  Its a closed-door proceeding, no lawyers (other than the prosecutors), no judge, no cross-examination.  There's a famous quote (can't recall the origin) that a prosecutor could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich.

I've only been involved in one grand jury case (a federal tax matter in New Jersey), but wondered how the hell they find people who can serve on these.  It seems insane, but I don't think it is every day.  I think the jury is impaneled for that length of time, and you can be called in any day, but they don't actually present evidence every day.  In my case, it was only 2 days, separated by a couple months (but I'm sure they had other cases going on.)

Remember, the purpose of a grand jury is not to decide the outcome of a civil or criminal case (liability, guilt or innocence, etc.)  This isn't a trial in court, as with regular jury duty. Rather, you are presented with evidence in a very one-sided proceeding, and are asked to decide whether the prosecutor has sufficient evidence to bring charges.  Its a closed-door proceeding, no lawyers (other than the prosecutors), no judge, no cross-examination.  There's a famous quote (can't recall the origin) that a prosecutor could get a grand jury to indict a ham sandwich.
Yes, I believe that the grand jury hears many many cases, and possibly even concurrently.  In Baltimore, there's a lot of violent crime and I'd rather not have to hear about like 100 murders during that 4 month stretch.

hmm this is different than what I went through....

ETA: now that I think about it mine was I think federal petit not grand jury  ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread