What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do You Still Get The Paper? If So, What's Your Go-To Section? (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
Pretty simple topic. Do you guys still get your morning constitutional (not that one) with the printed news?

If so, where do you find edification/entertainment? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I no longer get my local paper, but my parents do. When I visit to help care for my pop, I will always scan the front page first, and then flip to the back page which has the "Reader's Forum". It has national and local op-ed's plus reader submitted comments. It keeps me in better touch with the "feel" of my city.

I will then just scan the rest and only read something that really strikes me or affects me personally.

For actually staying on top of the news, I rely on the net primarily - but I also like NPR (radio) and PBS (tv).

I will chime in here because I didn't to begin with. I don't get the paper and do the online puzzles.

I was prompted to take out this topic because of the PSF and the thread about the elimination of political cartoons. I loved the cartoon page and puzzles as a kid/teen. Gave me something to do after the Sports, or vice-versa.

Front page and op-eds came later for me; my interests as a youth were young.

I was getting the Friday through Sunday print version of the newspaper for awhile but stopped a couple years ago.  I enjoyed it but the price just got to be too much.  It wasn't worth it.

I have digital subscriptions to NYT & WaPo. Last time I subscribed to the print NYT (Fri-Sun) was before my daughter was born (2008.) Used to get the WSJ at the office but cancelled in 2016.

Subscribe to the WaPo print edition. Go-to is the main news section. Subsection in there on “world news” maybe once past the main headlines.

Been hoeing a tough row, but looking for blue skies, now.
Word. "Once in a while, [they'll] show you the light in the strangest of places if you look at things right." I hope things are good. Talk about them freely whenever. Peace, man. Have to run for an hour or so.

I subscribe to a small town newspaper to support a local business.  I read the front page, obits (yeah, I'm getting to that age), and then local sports.

Blows my mind how many intelligent people refuse to dig up the couch change for a digital subscription to their local paper. Then they all sit around on Facebook complaining about the paywall and being uninformed except for the inaccurate gossip of their social media "friends."

Blows my mind how many intelligent people refuse to dig up the couch change for a digital subscription to their local paper. Then they all sit around on Facebook complaining about the paywall and being uninformed except for the inaccurate gossip of their social media "friends."
Honestly, my local paper kinda sucks. I can get better local news for free - and more up to date.

Are there good local papers? I thought everything local was basically owned by Gannett.

Per Wiki:

USA Today, the Detroit Free Press, The Indianapolis Star, The Cincinnati Enquirer, The Tennesseanin Nashville, Tennessee, The Courier-Journal in Louisville, Kentucky, the Democrat and Chronicle in Rochester, New York, The Des Moines Register, The Arizona Republic in Phoenix, Arizona, The News-Press in Fort Myers, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and the Great Falls Tribune. Dozens of other smaller papers.

Last fall they refused to delay printing in order to publish the midterm election results. If they don’t GAF about their readers - and they don’t, it’s simply a series of revenue streams - why should readers support them?

Seen one, seen ‘em all. No differentiation in Newspapers these days with the the obvious exceptions of the larger, still independent big city papers.

I want my two dollars!
Damn beat me to it.

During football season I get the USA Today Sports Weekly.   It usually lasts me a few days.

E2A:   I once subscribed to it, but it arrived on Thursday so I'd only get to read it on Fridays at lunch.  So I just started grabbing it (on Wednesdays) at the local gas station.

My favorite part of the day. Sports page & this time of year the box scores. When I was a kid I’d beat the old man to the sports section every morning.

Cjw_55106 said:
I stopped paying for yesterday's news about 10 years ago. 
Are you in Minnesota? Its my understanding that Minneapolis has one of the really good remaining locals. Instead of the massive cuts that other papers have made, the MST has invested in the paper. 

Don Quixote said:
Subscribe to the WaPo print edition. Go-to is the main news section. Subsection in there on “world news” maybe once past the main headlines.
I have a subscription to the WaPo for the Sunday paper which gets me a discount on the Digital Edition. So it's cheaper for me to toss the Sunday paper unread each week, what a waste.

I also pay for the digital edition of the Boston Globe.

I get the local paper, which is a Gannet cookie-cutter paper.  I read it for local sports and local business.  My kids read the comics every day and my wife does the crossword sometimes.  I use it to light my charcoal in the chimney starter. I've been debating getting rid of it for years. Probably should have long ago.

Just the Sunday ny times, which then gives me the full digi sub.

main section (front section? What do you call the very first section?  News?) is still great.  

Are you in Minnesota? Its my understanding that Minneapolis has one of the really good remaining locals. Instead of the massive cuts that other papers have made, the MST has invested in the paper. 
Star Tribune is actually pretty good. 

We used to try and get the Fri-Sun edition, mostly for the coupons on Sunday. But now that your delivery system is basically adults that are just doing it because they need money as opposed to the good ol' days of neighborhood kids tossing them, we could only manage a delivery rate of about 50%. So we gave up and cancelled.

Just the Sunday ny times, which then gives me the full digi sub.

main section (front section? What do you call the very first section?  News?) is still great.  
I call it the Front Page, really. First section, too.

I'm not sure what it is technically called, LBL. 

BobbyLayne said:
Are there good local papers? I thought everything local was basically owned by Gannett.

Per Wiki:

USA Today, the Detroit Free Press, The Indianapolis Star, The Cincinnati Enquirer, The Tennesseanin Nashville, Tennessee, The Courier-Journal in Louisville, Kentucky, the Democrat and Chronicle in Rochester, New York, The Des Moines Register, The Arizona Republic in Phoenix, Arizona, The News-Press in Fort Myers, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and the Great Falls Tribune. Dozens of other smaller papers.

Last fall they refused to delay printing in order to publish the midterm election results. If they don’t GAF about their readers - and they don’t, it’s simply a series of revenue streams - why should readers support them?

Seen one, seen ‘em all. No differentiation in Newspapers these days with the the obvious exceptions of the larger, still independent big city papers.
I still get the Cincinnati Enquirer print edition on the weekends.  Yes, they have a USAToday Nation section, but almost the rest is local.  Their local reporting is excellent.  You sound like a conspiracy nut job.

rockaction said:
Very true, but I've noticed I use up my free WaPo and NYT articles really quickly.
same here ...I think they say something about 10 articles a month?  

If that's the case, WaPo and the NYTs can only count to 2-3.  

I still get the Cincinnati Enquirer print edition on the weekends.  Yes, they have a USAToday Nation section, but almost the rest is local.  Their local reporting is excellent. You sound like a conspiracy nut job.
:lmao: This is partially what I thought but then I remembered that the big conglomerates had bought the local indie weeklies, including and up to all the CT ones, so it sounds like consolidation is something that happens in the business. Indeed, one of the problems with media layoffs had to do with major papers going from closely-held, family concerns run off of family fortunes to publicly held entities that sought profits.

I still get the Cincinnati Enquirer print edition on the weekends.  Yes, they have a USAToday Nation section, but almost the rest is local.  Their local reporting is excellent.  You sound like a conspiracy nut job.
:lol:

That's good to hear. I still read my home state newspapers online (GR Press, Detroit Free Press & Detroit News), I would probably be a Freep subscriber if I still lived in Michigan (presumably my life would be a little less manic.)

I don't wear tinfoil hats, but I grew up in an era when the fourth estate was still revered and played an important civic function. We've become so jaded and cynical, to even bring that at up would elicit chuckles and sneers. 

This article sums up my feelings far better than I was able to articulate earlier:

When local newspapers shut their doors, communities lose out. People and their stories can't find coverage. Politicos take liberties when it's nobody's job to hold them accountable. What the public doesn't know winds up hurting them. The city feels poorer, politically and culturally.

According to a new working paper, local news deserts lose out financially too. Cities where newspapers closed up shop saw increases in government costs as a result of the lack of scrutiny over local deals, say researchers who tracked the decline of local news outlets between 1996 and 2015.

Disruptions in local news coverage are soon followed by higher long-term borrowing costs for cities. Costs for bonds can rise as much as 11 basis points after the closure of a local newspaper—a finding that can't be attributed to other underlying economic conditions, the authors say. Those civic watchdogs make a difference to the bottom line.

Paul Gao, an associate professor of finance at the University of Notre Dame and one of the paper's authors, was inspired to look into the issue after an episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver about the news industry. "He was focused on two things: consolidation of national news media and closure of local news media. John Oliver's show really gave us the prompt for the phenomenon, and we started thinking about it from an economist's point of view."

:lol:

That's good to hear. I still read my home state newspapers online (GR Press, Detroit Free Press & Detroit News), I would probably be a Freep subscriber if I still lived in Michigan (presumably my life would be a little less manic.)

I don't wear tinfoil hats, but I grew up in an era when the fourth estate was still revered and played an important civic function. We've become so jaded and cynical, to even bring that at up would elicit chuckles and sneers. 

This article sums up my feelings far better than I was able to articulate earlier:
I agree that consolidation is very scary.  Just letting you know it hasn't totally absorbed the local reporting, at least here.

D-Day said:
I subscribe to a small town newspaper to support a local business.  I read the front page, obits (yeah, I'm getting to that age), and then local sports.
We get a couple papers for the restaurant. I don't read them myself, but from watching others, the obits seem to be where they go first. Then to the puzzles.

I also pay for the digital edition of the Boston Globe.
Said one person not from Boston. Ever. And that person was Mr. Ected. 

Unless you're from Boston. That I stand corrected.
I grew up near Boston, and I found that I was using up my free articles so I bought in to the digital version. I like that I get notices on my Apple Watch, but may have to turn that off in the fall, since the Patriots make me sick.  :X

I grew up near Boston, and I found that I was using up my free articles so I bought in to the digital version. I like that I get notices on my Apple Watch, but may have to turn that off in the fall, since the Patriots make me sick.  :X
I was just joshin'. I figured you had some connection. On a serious note, it would be rare if someone got the Globe as their national paper. It's usually WaPo or the NYT or the WSJ (maybe the Chicago papers) for those that get national papers. 

Users who are viewing this thread