What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Better SNL cast member: Kate McKinnon or Kristen Wiig? (1 Viewer)

This person is a better SNL cast member

• Kate McKinnon

Votes: 53 52.0%
  • Kristen Wiig

Votes: 49 48.0%

• Total voters
I went with Wiig. I truly thought she was perfect for the independent moment. McKinnon is more of a ham, Wiig was, despite being in the foreground, a very understated, funny woman. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't watch much of either on SNL, but Wiig was awesome when she'd go on Fallon pretending to be either Peyton Manning or Khalessi from GoT.  

I like them both but I went with Wiig. I feel she is more diverse. Mckinnon is starting to rely to much on make up and prosthetics for the funny. I also think much of this has to do with the writing and social climate of the times.

* I never miss an episode of SNL

* I am no fan of our current political situation or our president.

Having thrown that out I will see I am really tired of the constant bashing that SNL does of our current President. A little goes a long way. Every time they open with Alec Baldwin doing Trump I had a blech feeling. I always wanted to fast forward through that but I never did. It seemed more mean spirited then funny. Like Baldwin was exercising his personal agenda and NBC was letting him.

I do love the Trump sons skits when they do that. That would never get old for me.

McKinnon is better with impressions. Wiig has better original characters (though I absolutely hate both The Target Lady and Gilly). Wiig is more attractive. I'd be more likely to watch a movie because Wigg was starring in it than I would be with McKinnon.

McKinnon is better with impressions. Wiig has better original characters (though I absolutely hate both The Target Lady and Gilly). Wiig is more attractive. I'd be more likely to watch a movie because Wigg was starring in it than I would be with McKinnon.
Target lady and Gilly were hilarious to me.

wiig

and it feels like she is only losing because mckinnon is on now, while wiig's last season was 2010

prosopis said:
 Every time they open with Alec Baldwin doing Trump I had a blech feeling. I always wanted to fast forward through that but I never did. It seemed more mean spirited then funny. Like Baldwin was exercising his personal agenda and NBC was letting him.
I have good news for you!

big fan of both, and McKinnon has certainly had to transcend a lot of bad writing and outlast those writers' inability to resolve a sketch, but i went with Wiig.

i have had several arguments on these boards about comedy not being mean & angry enough to be the important factor in life & entertainment anymore and recently defended my stance by suggesting that the way to defend comedy from political correctness is to point out what massive idiots we ALL are. i don't know anyone anymore who i couldnt absolutely savage if there was a beautiful dollar in it, because we've almost all become as self-involved and willfully oblivious as any character Will Ferrell could invent.

i have certainly NOT found a mean or angry bone in Wiig's comedy, but there is a savage willingess to explore how repulsive personal fetish can be. her most famous characters are subversively imbued with desperation over how they are being perceived and it is as much genius as Gilda finding the child inside women a coupla gens ago. feminization is the cause of 80% of what i currently like least about today's society and, when Wiig's approach to her SNL characterizations carried over to the writing of her first comedy film, Bridesmaids, i was excited to have someone as willing to make fun of women as Woody Allen was to point out how gay for themselves men had actually become backinaday.

Alas, she didn't follow it up. turns out, she's actually too nice for that kind of savagery... 

i have certainly NOT found a mean or angry bone in Wiig's comedy, but there is a savage willingess to explore how repulsive personal fetish can be. her most famous characters are subversively imbued with desperation over how they are being perceived
Nice observation, one I'm inclined to totally agree with. I've argued about identity being the scary new and last American frontier, and she nails the inevitable "how am I being perceived?" part of that identity creation; that part which has to appeal to other people's fetishization of the personal. 

Nice observation, one I'm inclined to totally agree with. I've argued about identity being the scary new and last American frontier, and she nails the inevitable "how am I being perceived?" part of that identity creation; that part which has to appeal to other people's fetishization of the personal. 
At first, it seemed certain that all the outgrowths of personal liberty would have an apogee and society would rebound with a few extra segments of community. But license and indulgence are becoming so embedded in our culture that American life is writing its own manual for how to be a sick, unhappy ####. Normally, humor would be the first to have at it but, being that the culmination of the phenomenon resulted in a Clown Prince who's far more hilarious than anything we could make up and has just become another factor which further stunts our growth. Just as i fear that our institutions can't keep up with 300,000,000 separate constituencies wanting special attention, i fear that society will crash from the weight of a similar number of identities.

And now i will say that Kristen Wiig was playing that from the inside while Kate McKinnon's success lies in playing 2-3 types of characters riding that wave of postmodern ridiculousness so it isn't a hijack.

The Duff Man said:
The skit where Kate is trailer trash who was abducted by aliens is one of the funniest in a long time. 

https://youtu.be/PfPdYYsEfAE
This is great, but otherwise I don't find McKinnon especially funny.  She can make me laugh occasionally, but not consistently.

Wiig had some duds, but as others have said, she had better original characters and was more consistent.  Wiig.

At first, it seemed certain that all the outgrowths of personal liberty would have an apogee and society would rebound with a few extra segments of community. But license and indulgence are becoming so embedded in our culture that American life is writing its own manual for how to be a sick, unhappy ####. Normally, humor would be the first to have at it but, being that the culmination of the phenomenon resulted in a Clown Prince who's far more hilarious than anything we could make up and has just become another factor which further stunts our growth. Just as i fear that our institutions can't keep up with 300,000,000 separate constituencies wanting special attention, i fear that society will crash from the weight of a similar number of identities.

And now i will say that Kristen Wiig was playing that from the inside while Kate McKinnon's success lies in playing 2-3 types of characters riding that wave of postmodern ridiculousness so it isn't a hijack.
What are you cats smoking?  Pass that #### over this way.  

That's really an astute observation about the difference between the two. One also might posit that the distance between that which we see in Hollywood and the characters presented by Wiig tells us the real story of America via its characters vs. the send-ups of the overblown and famous that McKinnon lampoons.  

Admiration and the worship of the telegenic do not always tell the real story of what is actually going on.   

eta* Huh. Just watched the best of Wiig. I think you nailed it. 

That's really an astute observation about the difference between the two. One also might posit that the distance between that which we see in Hollywood and the characters presented by Wiig tells us the real story of America via its characters vs. the send-ups of the overblown and famous that McKinnon lampoons.  

Admiration and the worship of the telegenic do not always tell the real story of what is actually going on.   

eta* Huh. Just watched the best of Wiig. I think you nailed it. 
Wiig seemed so close to really getting inside the quantum burgoo of relativism (think Cap'n Cranks'll like that?) that drives women. I was proud that she recoiled into personal projects when the Great Hollywood Machine went after her as a hitmaker following Bridesmaids, but disappointed that she and her writing partner didn't take the next step.

I like them both immensely.

Maybe it's recency bias, but I think Wiig has been funnier/better in her roles since leaving SNL.

Wiig never fails to get a laugh out of me, but McKinnon has the ability to literally make me ROTFL -- like her alien abductee character.
What's the situation here?  Are you already on the floor and then begin to roll around laughing, or do you get up from the couch and make your way to the floor for the laughing?

What's the situation here?  Are you already on the floor and then begin to roll around laughing, or do you get up from the couch and make your way to the floor for the laughing?
Usually slumped on the couch in some haphazard yet supremely comfortable shape, start laughing, roll onto the floor wheezing from laughter. Momentum keep me going until I'm just rocking back and forth on the ground on my back, holding my sides.

So yes, literally rolling onto (then just on) the floor, laughing.

Dunno about Tom (tho i imagine there's stompin' involved) but i have a competition-level floor routine for my ROFL, complete with tumbles, cartwheels, li'l sticks w ribbons on em and, sometimes, i'll even go to the local drunk tank and bail out a Russian judge or two

Users who are viewing this thread