Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Cranks

Bill Maher wants to coach the Democrats

I remember a thread about two months ago wondering if Maher was worthy of the political section when the right complained about him. Now that it comes from the left it's serious business.

• Laughing 1

Just now, knowledge dropper said:

:thumbup:

It’s almost like you write the material. 

Hey good to see you again!  Wanna pick up where we left off yesterday? 

If you need a refresher, you were ignoring decades of Trump's grotesque misogyny and over a dozen accusations of sexual assault that clearly support the most likely explanation of his Access Hollywood confession in favor of narrowly construing the phrase "when you're a star they let you do it" as meaning the women somehow consented to be grabbed by the genitals in advance.

16 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

That’s not what he said. It was more like as a celebrity women throw themselves at him.  He can do anything.  He said that for years.  If you want to continually construe that as assault to suit your political agenda, go ahead.  Obviously, 62+ million Americans didn’t and still don’t.  

Hasnt their been like 10 women who said he has just kissed them out of nowhere on the lips?

7 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

If you need a refresher, you were ignoring decades of Trump's grotesque misogyny and over a dozen accusations of sexual assault that clearly support the most likely explanation of his Access Hollywood confession in favor of narrowly construing the phrase "when you're a star they let you do it" as meaning the women somehow consented to be grabbed by the genitals in advance.

And he still got elected.  

1 minute ago, Daywalker said:

Hasnt their been like 10 women who said he has just kissed them out of nowhere on the lips?

You're thinking of Biden. 

55 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Accusations mean little.  Did these get vetted in a court of law?  Were they looking for payouts?  Who knows?  Obviously, you are okay with the decades of reported groping, cultural misappropriation, sodomy, rumored infidelity, and anti-Catholicism of candidates you listed as good alternatives. 

We each have to pick what levels of behavior we are willing to tolerate.  

Wait, is the "sodomy" a reference to Buttigieg?  Are we supposed to not be OK with married gay men having sex with each other?

2 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

Accusations mean little.  Did these get vetted in a court of law?  Were they looking for payouts?  Who knows?

Hmm, good point. Would you like to discuss Trump's decades of grotesque misogyny as well as each of the accusations of sexual misconduct or workplace harassment supporting the most likely explanation of his Access Hollywood confession is greater detail? I'd be happy to start a thread on the subject if I can count on your good faith participation!

1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:

Hmm, good point. Would you like to discuss Trump's decades of grotesque misogyny as well as each of the accusations of sexual misconduct or workplace harassment supporting the most likely explanation of his Access Hollywood confession is greater detail? I'd be happy to start a thread on the subject if I can count on your good faith participation!

Haven’t we reached our quota of anti-Trump threads.  I think there already was a thread on this subject.  

Obviously, it’s not my job to undermine or even promote our President, so I won’t be able to keep up with your volume of inflammatory posts. 

Just now, knowledge dropper said:

Haven’t we reached our quota of anti-Trump threads.  I think there already was a thread on this subject.  

Obviously, it’s not my job to undermine or even promote our President, so I won’t be able to keep up with your volume of inflammatory posts. 

The only reason my inflammatory posts would be so voluminous is because the man you support and empower has a well-documented lifelong passion for harassing, degrading and abusing women.

But like you said, "we each have to pick what levels of behavior we are willing to tolerate." Some of us are apparently willing to tolerate a well-documented lifelong passion for harassing, degrading and abusing women.  Some of us aren't. To each their own!  Unless you're a woman in Donald Trump's sphere, I guess.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

The only reason my inflammatory posts would be so voluminous is because the man you support and empower has a well-documented lifelong passion for harassing, degrading and abusing women.

But like you said, "we each have to pick what levels of behavior we are willing to tolerate." Some of us are apparently willing to tolerate a well-documented lifelong passion for harassing, degrading and abusing women.  Some of us aren't. To each their own!  Unless you're a woman in Donald Trump's sphere, I guess.

Just for reference, who is your preferred candidate of the Democrats?

2 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

Just for reference, who is your preferred candidate of the Democrats?

Nah, not going for this obvious tactic whereby a Trump supporter shifts the conversation away from his awfulness without addressing it first. If you'd like to discuss my 2020 preferences I'm happy to do it elsewhere (I think I mentioned my current preference in the "2020 Good Place" thread just this morning), or at least after you've explained to us exactly how much harassment, degradation and abuse of women you're willing to tolerate from your man and why.

Let's say Mark Cuban decided to run for president and somehow won the Democratic nomination (disregard the fact that he doesn't want to run or would not run as a Dem).  We're watching him debate Trump and after Trump gives one of his whiny, deflective answers, Cuban says, "Look at this guy!  This is your President.  A whiny little thin-skinned man who has to deflect away from his own personal responsibilities and actions because he's so insecure and unable to accept responsibility.  This is what you think is strength?  He's nothing but a big whiny crybaby."  

Do some of you think it's so appalling that Cuban would say something like that?  I, for one, would be like, '####### A.  It's about time someone had the balls to call this dude out for what he is.' 

7 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Nah, not going for this obvious tactic whereby a Trump supporter shifts the conversation away from his awfulness without addressing it first. If you'd like to discuss my 2020 preferences I'm happy to do it elsewhere (I think I mentioned my current preference in the "2020 Good Place" thread just this morning), or at least after you've explained to us exactly how much harassment, degradation and abuse of women you're willing to tolerate from your man and why.

:mellow:

17 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Yes.... but he really is an extreme racist toward Islam, and mainstreams dehumanization of Muslims for millions of people in a really gross way. 

I have to agree with Maher that religion is a neurological disorder.

35 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:
18 hours ago, ren hoek said:

Yes.... but he really is an extreme racist toward Islam, and mainstreams dehumanization of Muslims for millions of people in a really gross way. 

I have to agree with Maher that religion is a neurological disorder.

The link doesn't work. But every time I've seen someone accuse Maher of Islamaphobia (and not simply as a critic of the religion itself rather than its adherents), they've tended to fall into one of two categories. The Glenn Greenwald types who deliberately misrepresent the facts, or the Ben Affleck types who haven't really paid attention.

2 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

Did these get vetted in a court of law?  

ah yes....the Clinton defense...."but was she indicted?!?!?!"  Going far enough right or left really does end up putting you in the same place.

4 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

The link doesn't work. But every time I've seen someone accuse Maher of Islamaphobia (and not simply as a critic of the religion itself rather than its adherents), they've tended to fall into one of two categories. The Glenn Greenwald types who deliberately misrepresent the facts, or the Ben Affleck types who haven't really paid attention.

I have heard Maher be critical of all religions and he is agnostic.  This clip singles out his criticism of Islam and he is not making things up, just saying things some don`t want to hear.

2 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Wait, is the "sodomy" a reference to Buttigieg?  Are we supposed to not be OK with married gay men having sex with each other?

Also, why is it okay to openly assume that married gay men engage in certain sex acts?

23 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Also, why is it okay to openly assume that married gay men engage in certain sex acts?

"Sodomy" includes oral sex among opposite-sex married couples, so I don't think it has to be a reference to Buttigieg.

2 hours ago, Captain Cranks said:

Let's say Mark Cuban decided to run for president and somehow won the Democratic nomination (disregard the fact that he doesn't want to run or would not run as a Dem).  We're watching him debate Trump and after Trump gives one of his whiny, deflective answers, Cuban says, "Look at this guy!  This is your President.  A whiny little thin-skinned man who has to deflect away from his own personal responsibilities and actions because he's so insecure and unable to accept responsibility.  This is what you think is strength?  He's nothing but a big whiny crybaby."  

Do some of you think it's so appalling that Cuban would say something like that?  I, for one, would be like, '####### A.  It's about time someone had the balls to call this dude out for what he is.' 

I agree with much of this. But as soon as you call Trump a "crybaby", then you lose the high ground and you allow Trump (and his supporters) to claim victim status. Then they get to play the "Both sides!" card. Then you're forced to spend time and energy trying to explain why your insults are more justified than Trump's insults, and you distract everyone from the real issues, which plays right into Trump's hands.

And this is exactly what Trump (and his supporters) want. He wants you to insult him. Because then it will retroactively justify every terrible thing that he's done.

The key is to call him out without insulting him. Expose the terrible behavior without replicating it. Stick to the script. Don't let the sociopath get what he wants.

2 hours ago, [scooter] said:

I agree with much of this. But as soon as you call Trump a "crybaby", then you lose the high ground and you allow Trump (and his supporters) to claim victim status. Then they get to play the "Both sides!" card. Then you're forced to spend time and energy trying to explain why your insults are more justified than Trump's insults, and you distract everyone from the real issues, which plays right into Trump's hands.

And this is exactly what Trump (and his supporters) want. He wants you to insult him. Because then it will retroactively justify every terrible thing that he's done.

The key is to call him out without insulting him. Expose the terrible behavior without replicating it. Stick to the script. Don't let the sociopath get what he wants.

You're right about Trumplicans playing the victim card.  It's the response to that that's key. No apologies.  More strength.  They want to cry about being called crybabies.  Tell them thank you for proving your point.  

Perceived strength is what helped Trump win.  The Dems having to apologize for every little thing feeds right into the weak look.  That doesn't mean Dems need to be #######s, but have some freaking confidence in who you are and quit apologizing all the time.  

3 hours ago, Summer Wheat said:

I have heard Maher be critical of all religions and he is agnostic.  This clip singles out his criticism of Islam and he is not making things up, just saying things some don`t want to hear.

I think we're seeing evidence of that in this thread.  It's all fun shtick until he turns the mirror on you.   

22 minutes ago, Captain Cranks said:

I think we're seeing evidence of that in this thread.  It's all fun shtick until he turns the mirror on you.   

Maher is an aware liberal, I consider myself an aware liberal as well. Some things are what they are no matter what party you support.

• Like 2

The reason people call Bill Maher a bigot, is because Bill Maher is a bigot.  The link works- you simply click on it, and then watch the clips of Maher being a racist bigot.  

"Islam is a religion of peace. When they blow you up there is a piece of you here and a piece of you over there."  :lol:. I like Maher. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 1:26 PM, Summer Wheat said:

Maher is an aware liberal, I consider myself an aware liberal as well. Some things are what they are no matter what party you support.

I like that and I kind of agree

It's alright to be a liberal and talk about immigration

When I think of Muslims I don't think terrorism at all but i do think a religion from the stone age that is terrible for women and gays etc...

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 12:14 PM, [scooter] said:

Bless his heart.