What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is there a better way to buy furniture (1 Viewer)

The Dude

Footballguy
Will be buying a slightly larger house and it's time to refresh a couple of items.  Is there a better way to buy quality furniture than big furniture/department stores?

Used

There is so much good stuff out there lightly used it’s almost criminal to bug anything new 

About 12 years ago, I furnish my office and conference/training room entirely with items found at DAV type stores.

I had to take my time and visit often, because the really good stuff does not last long.

I found a table for 14 with nice chairs, and all I needed to do was strip and refinish.

If you have a few basic skills, you can turn crap into great stuff.

We have two very nice furniture consignment stores near us - they do nothing but high-end stuff for great prices.  Got any of those around you?

I don't understand how anyone buys furniture online. I'd never drop $4k on a sofa I'd never sat on. 

A few inches seated too high or too low or just not deep enough can make the difference. I don't care how pretty it looks in an instagram perfect set. I have to feel how firm or soft or squishy or if the arms are the right height for channel surfing. 

Yet people do it. Crazy. :loco:
we got a custom couch for an area wasn't an easy fit for standard sized furniture - best thing we ever did.  

Cococo Home

we got a custom couch for an area wasn't an easy fit for standard sized furniture - best thing we ever did.  

Cococo Home
So did we.  Every dimension that you could possibly need was listed.  They sent swatches so you could test the color and texture.  Of course, buying it at one AM made the bank put a temp hold on our card.  I had to call in a couple of minutes later and confess that I bought a sofa in the middle of the night.

We also bought a lot of furniture from an outfit called E&G Amish Furniture.  They are basically brokers for the carpenters.  Perhpas there is a similar outfit where you are.  They have a great selection of woods and stains, and they do custom work.

We have two very nice furniture consignment stores near us - they do nothing but high-end stuff for great prices.  Got any of those around you?
And the beautiful thing about these is the negotiating power you have on your side. Especially if a piece has been sitting in the store for a few weeks. I know that consignment contracts only last like 4-6 weeks, but after that it basically becomes a liability taking up space in their showroom. Nobody wants to go back to the consignment store and retrieve pieces of heavy furniture they're already trying to get rid of. They become desperate - and a lot of the time it's not even bad furniture - it's good stuff that they simply didn't put any effort into marketing/listing online/etc..

So use that angle to try and take advantage. Just begin by developing a good rapport with whomever is selling the stuff - it's usually the store owner herself, and start out by asking which pieces she "needs" to get rid of (the pieces that have been gathering dust the longest), multiply whatever the price tag is by ½, and then offer straight cash to take it off their hands. You end up basically doing the stakeholders a favor since they're just going to slash that price in half anyway. That's how consignment contracts work. Of course you've got to use some finesse and take their temperature, pee on their leg a little bit, but you'll find yourself essentially bidding on what's basically become abandoned furniture at that point.

Keep the big picture in mind and be prepared to walk out the door, but if you've got a pocket full of cash you won't have to. They're not going to let you walk out the door when they've got stuff just sitting around taking up expensive space in the showroom. Plus, let's face it - it's used furniture! So if they push back just point out all the item's numerous flaws. You're not going to hurt their feelings. They're the middle man. No sentimental value exists.

I don't understand how anyone buys furniture online. I'd never drop $4k on a sofa I'd never sat on. 

A few inches seated too high or too low or just not deep enough can make the difference. I don't care how pretty it looks in an instagram perfect set. I have to feel how firm or soft or squishy or if the arms are the right height for channel surfing. 

Yet people do it. Crazy. :loco:
This.  I got burned on this once about 12 years ago.  I was in the furniture store and sat on, and loved, a leather chair.  They did not have the rest of the set in stock, so I only sat on the chair, but we bought the set...sofa and love seat along with the chair.  Once delivered, I never did like the rest of the set much.  It wasn't deep enough.  I still love the chair.  I am now like Archie Bunker...I am sitting in that chair if I am in the room.  Never will make that mistake again.

Last edited by a moderator:
We also bought a lot of furniture from an outfit called E&G Amish Furniture.  They are basically brokers for the carpenters.  Perhpas there is a similar outfit where you are.  They have a great selection of woods and stains, and they do custom work.
This is the answer. I buy pieces occasionally and can get everything I want with quality workmanship for slightly more money than the garbage in most furniture stores.

While it is very hit or miss and sometimes you're up against pros. Estate auctions can be an interesting option.

We have an ikea house, it is cheap and very durable. Probably 75% of the furniture in our house is from there.

A good example is we bought two 400 dollar couches there before my kids were born and they still look like new even though my kids are now 4 and 2.  Anytime something is spilled, just pull the cover off and throw it in the washer.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's how consignment contracts work. Of course you've got to use some finesse and take their temperature, pee on their leg a little bit, but you'll find yourself essentially bidding on what's basically become abandoned furniture at that point.
:oldunsure:  

Ours was from Roses and Oak in upstate NY 20 years ago.  It still looks perfect despite daily use.  When we got it, it was something like 25% more expensive than a crappy laminate set at the local furniture store that lasted about 5 years.

Ours was from Roses and Oak in upstate NY 20 years ago.  It still looks perfect despite daily use.  When we got it, it was something like 25% more expensive than a crappy laminate set at the local furniture store that lasted about 5 years.
One of the Amish catalogues at our vendor has a Steampunk collection.  How in the world did that happen?

Set budget.  Have wife pick out.  Go golfing.   Live with whatever shows up.  

“Yes honey, we do need a couple new nicknacks to compliment the new tones.”  Go golfing again.  

Bought a fully furnished model home about 9 years ago.    We still have a basement full of our “old” furniture, that my wife won’t allow me to get rid of 

Users who are viewing this thread